R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 12-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #256
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got one of these because they was so very cheap compared to Tamiya & designed to a much higher standard. I also got all of the black option parts including rims & got the roll cage with the functioning lights. It probably looks better with the standard rims but being Kiwi it looks so much better being ALL BLACK! I put on a few of the red Kyosho decals but have done another box art yellow body set & stashed it inside the box for if I ever want the change. Have now got the Optima kit, the imho best upgrade optional parts & another set of rims to fit a set of Proline Badlands. I don't know why they advertised them as truck tyres because I reckon they're the best buggy tires ever made & even my 8ight had them.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #257
Tech Master

Cool! Post some pics when done
Old 12-27-2016, 03:29 AM   #258
Tech Master

Very nice full option Tomahawk:

More here: http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...=78194&page=15
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #259
Tech Master

Some mods. New hex wheels and rb6 rtr tires. Took the lights off though like them in the dark, I prefer the looks far better and original without.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #260
Tech Master

Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Very nice, looks clean.

Curious what is the weight of the new 2.2 setup (Tires & Wheels) vs. the old.

- Also has anyone gotten the 20mm wider front arm mount by chance yet?

- The HG Shock Mounts, are those for longer shocks?

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #262
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
- The HG Shock Mounts, are those for longer shocks?
Yes
Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #263
Tech Rookie

Just found this thread. Supper cool. I of the early Cox Scorpions (before aftermarket parts were available). It would kick Super Champs all day long-not. It would smoke them till I broke something (which happened every couple heats). Dug it out yesterday (was looking for the Super Champ), noticed it had a bunch of upgraded parts on it (must have been from the last race I went to).

Stepson wanted to see what my car's raced like, since this rerelease happened-perhaps I can find the parts to show him. That and see if I can smoke new car... My main fear was the rear arms-but they were upgraded. I doubt the nylon universal joints aged well however. Other than that just need some new rubber. Of course will put a modern esc, lipo, and brushless motor on it...
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #264
Tech Elite

I know this goes without saying, but when mounting a Motiv 17.5 (waiting on the Le-mans) beware, that you need to use shorter mounting screws for the motor. I used 5mm length ones instead. If not, you will damage the motor.

On another note, has anyone upgraded the shocks, and is it worth it? Seems like one of the shocks on the rear binds up midway (like a shock with a bent shaft would), yet built per instructions, and nothing is bent.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
I know this goes without saying, but when mounting a Motiv 17.5 (waiting on the Le-mans) beware, that you need to use shorter mounting screws for the motor. I used 5mm length ones instead. If not, you will damage the motor.

On another note, has anyone upgraded the shocks, and is it worth it? Seems like one of the shocks on the rear binds up midway (like a shock with a bent shaft would), yet built per instructions, and nothing is bent.
I have the HG shocks on both my Scorpion and Tomahawk. They are basically Kyosho velvet shocks, really smooth, easy to bleed and don't leak. Much easier than kit shocks. So I recommend them if you plan on running the car.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #266
Tech Regular

Quote:

The bending you are feeling could be the known problem of bones a bit too long, pushing too far into the outdrives. To fix this all you have to do is loose the suspension holder screws, torque the wheels so they have maximum toe in and tighten the screws again.

I use the HG shocks, they are very smooth but I find that they give too little pack at the back, so i used an old Option House 1 hole red piston with a slightly bigger hole and now the damping is really good and balanced.

Last edited by Gayosaka; 01-14-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Broken english
Gayosaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #267
Tech Elite

Thanks guys, I will give them a shot then.

I had added a bit of Pen Spring ala' the old RC10 dog bones to the Scorpion, but its still doing it, perhaps with the universals it will be mitigated.

Gayosaka - if you had too little pack, did you play with the stock pistons by chance?
Plugging the hole and re-drilling new ones?

- Excited to see this thing run.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #268
Tech Elite

I missed the part about the binding. You have installed the suspension hinge pin holder upside down.

Pay close attention to the manual. The inner ones tapered end needs to be down. I don't recall the outer one. Once you change it the motion will free up.

I made the same mistake since on my oringal scorpion (80s) the tapered end was up! I didn't figure it out until I built the tomahawk and then when back and fixed my Scorpion
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #269
Tech Elite

Here is my post a few pages back

During my Tomahawk build, I finally realised the mistake I had made which caused my re-re Scorpions rear arms to bind. Having owned many of these chassis, I just simply assumed it should be built like my original one.

The two suspension shaft holders have a tapered end. The correct way to install them is: install the taller one with taper side up and the shorter one taper side down,. Its clearly shown in the manual but I overlooked it.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I missed the part about the binding. You have installed the suspension hinge pin holder upside down.

Pay close attention to the manual. The inner ones tapered end needs to be down. I don't recall the outer one. Once you change it the motion will free up.

I made the same mistake since on my oringal scorpion (80s) the tapered end was up! I didn't figure it out until I built the tomahawk and then when back and fixed my Scorpion
Thanks I will double check it.