R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #181
Tech Elite
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,433
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
i would contact kyosho. i had a couple of small issues and they took care of it. i thought the kit was very well made, sounds like you got a lemon.
i had no burrs or anything like that.

i think the car is outstanding. it's fast as hell too. i took it to the local indoor track and while it did struggle with the modern jumps it was awesome everywhere else on the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
My two builds went without issue but my friend had a small bur in the rear suspension arm that caused a bearing to break while installing.
With the bind try removing the dogbones and check if the problem is gone, if so it must be the cause if it still binds the problem must be elsewhere.
I think I did get a lemon. I'll contact Kyosho and see what they say about the binding.

Besides the quality issues, I really love the buggy. It looks so friggin' awesome! I only had a chance to take it for a drive in my house and it handles great. I can't wait to get it painted and try it outside. It's so cool that I don't know if I want to scratch it though!

Have any of you found a way to mount hex or pin drive wheels front and/or back?
__________________
Leaf Spring Mafia - Member #1
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leafspringmafia
https://www.facebook.com/LeafSpringMafia
https://www.instagram.com/LeafSpringMafia

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-31-2015 at 09:15 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #182
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think I did get a lemon. I'll contact Kyosho and see what they say about the binding.

Besides the quality issues, I really love the buggy. It looks so friggin' awesome! I only had a chance to take it for a drive in my house and it handles great. I can't wait to get it painted and try it outside. It's so cool that I don't know if I want to scratch it though!

Have any of you found a way to mount hex or pin drive wheels front and/or back?
Did you try it with the dogbone removed? The suspension mounts are definitely around the right way? The outer one has the taper to the top and the inner one has the taper to the bottom.
chktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #183
Tech Elite
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,433
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Did you try it with the dogbone removed? The suspension mounts are definitely around the right way? The outer one has the taper to the top and the inner one has the taper to the bottom.
I did try it with the bones removed. The suspension moves freely. And yes, I'm 100% positive I installed the mounts the correct way. I even took it apart and installed it the wrong way just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
__________________
Leaf Spring Mafia - Member #1
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leafspringmafia
https://www.facebook.com/LeafSpringMafia
https://www.instagram.com/LeafSpringMafia
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #184
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I did try it with the bones removed. The suspension moves freely. And yes, I'm 100% positive I installed the mounts the correct way. I even took it apart and installed it the wrong way just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
So if you tried it without the dogbone and it was free maybe see if you can get Kyosho to send you the universals to try, I just ground a little off each end of the dogbones and problem solved.
chktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #185
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 181
Default new parts old car

I have an original scorpion i got off ebay (before the repop cameout) that i want to assemble. Will all the screws from the repop fit? What about the gears and bearings?
turbo scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #186
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buena PArk
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

gears wise. if you look around, i found at Banzia Hobby has it. Kyosho makes a transmission conversion kit. to put all the benefits and parts of new trans in the older original scorpion. Look online and can find the original manual, look at those screw sizes compared to new. the ebay kit parts seller have a spot for selling the whole screw kit.
ALIEN3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #187
Tech Master
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

the screws will kind of fit, they are the same size but the new car is all countersunk, the og is not. so not really.
__________________
vintage for life! Jrx2/JrxPro/RC10/RC10ce/RC10 graphite/RC10 oin/RC10T/RC10T2/RCPS sprinter/Optima x2/Scorpion/too many old tamiya's to list
RCHR.biz
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #188
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN3T View Post
gears wise. if you look around, i found at Banzia Hobby has it. Kyosho makes a transmission conversion kit. to put all the benefits and parts of new trans in the older original scorpion. Look online and can find the original manual, look at those screw sizes compared to new. the ebay kit parts seller have a spot for selling the whole screw kit.
Whats better in the new trans. The one i have i think is a "locked" no differential set up.
Have you seen those stainless steel screw sets on ebay? Are they a better fit?

I also have a turbo scorpion that is complete and built (by dad and i like a million years ago). Just would like spares esp for the plastic gears. I broke a gear when it was "new" and had to wait 4 weeks for a replacement to be ordered.
turbo scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #189
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buena PArk
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

the new trans suppose to be 48p, slipper built in, and the gear diff can be replaced with a Lazer or newer current ball diff. the kit also comes with new dogbones.

https://kyoshoamerica.3dcartstores.c...S_p_23451.html

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...on_2014_im.pdf

http://banzaihobby.com/kyosho-scw019-sals
ALIEN3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #190
Tech Master
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

new trans is really nice, 48p gears all metal, rb6 diff falls right in.
it can handle anything you can throw at it.

you can bolt the new trans to an old car but the parts are different.
__________________
vintage for life! Jrx2/JrxPro/RC10/RC10ce/RC10 graphite/RC10 oin/RC10T/RC10T2/RCPS sprinter/Optima x2/Scorpion/too many old tamiya's to list
RCHR.biz
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #191
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,257
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Regarding the dog bones / suspension binding.

You did not get a lemon, majority of these kits have this issue. The dog bone is a tad too long. I saw a thread in Japan where they grinder off a little bit.

My recommendation is to not worry about it.. Just run it and let it wear in. It's a remake of a 30 year old buggy, it doesn't have the tolerance of modern kits.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #192
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Regarding the dog bones / suspension binding.

You did not get a lemon, majority of these kits have this issue. The dog bone is a tad too long. I saw a thread in Japan where they grinder off a little bit.

My recommendation is to not worry about it.. Just run it and let it wear in. It's a remake of a 30 year old buggy, it doesn't have the tolerance of modern kits.
Your right I'd say most kits have this issue which is all the more reason Kyosho should supply universals in the kit to remedy this issue which I do believe affects the handling for sure. Anyone with this issue should contact their dealer to get it resolved by getting a set sent out.
chktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #193
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Bay
Posts: 235
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

So if you have this problem they will just send you some new axles? I might be up for that, but if they want you to buy them I won't do it. I got this car as a sort of novelty to sit pretty next to my beat up original.
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #194
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
So if you have this problem they will just send you some new axles? I might be up for that, but if they want you to buy them I won't do it. I got this car as a sort of novelty to sit pretty next to my beat up original.
If you contact the Kyosho dealer and let them know the issue I would imagine they should send some axles out to keep a customer happy. My thoughts are they should be replacing the dogbones in every kit with universals. You heard the saying about the squeaky wheel getting the oil?
chktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #195
Tech Elite
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,433
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I finally finished building mine. I'm very happy with it. I don't have much patience or painting or decal installing skill, but I like how this turned out. I want to run it, but it looks too cool to scratch!


__________________
Leaf Spring Mafia - Member #1
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leafspringmafia
https://www.facebook.com/LeafSpringMafia
https://www.instagram.com/LeafSpringMafia
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:22 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net