Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP ix8 Thermal Problem. Need tech help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LRP ix8 Thermal Problem. Need tech help

I have a used Lrp ix8 on 1/8 buggy. 1800kv Reedy sensor-ed motor, 4500mAh 4s lipo 40-60C battery. Cooling fan on esc, programmed with voltage cutout for 4s, power output/timing set at next to lowest setting. My issue is after running it on an off road track (not on the road or in the grass, lol) 5mins into run it esc goes into thermal shutdown. it happens every time so i was able to temperature check it with in a minute. Esc @145-148 and motor @120 degrees F. If i reset power to esc it comes out of thermal. I need ideas or suggestions.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check your gearing for your buggy in its thread, maybe you're under geared. Usually what it is when your motor is cooler than the ESC. That's also a lower kV motor so maybe you're gearing to the same as others running 2000+ kV?
148° doesn't sound that high though, Tekin thermal is well into 200°… I think 260°.

Also a bad bearing in the driveline, wheels or motor can do it too. Take the pinion off and check for rolling resistance.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

tried the smoothness of drivetrain and its fine. the fact that it goes thermal with esc at 148f that i'm worried about.