R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Shock Oil (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/80518-shock-oil.html)

T3MAN 08-10-2005 07:45 PM

Shock Oil

What wieght shock oil should I use on my t3. I was thinking 35 w . I want the shocks to be firm because right now if i drop the car from 2 feet above the ground the chassis hits the floor.

arghh 08-10-2005 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by T3MAN
i drop the car from 2 feet above the ground the chassis hits the floor.

use 1:1 car shock then ur chassis will not ever hit the floor

T3MAN 08-10-2005 08:37 PM

Another thing when i push my shocks down they dont always rebound up to the top. They sometimes only rebound 3/4 of the way.

semper 08-10-2005 08:44 PM

I know nothing about the T3, but it might be the springs that are too soft, not the dampening...

T3MAN 08-10-2005 08:51 PM

What should i do ? when i push my shocks down the only come back up 1/2 to 3/4 of the way!

jbrow1 08-10-2005 08:57 PM

The springs are what makes the truck come back up to the desired height after being compressed. So either you need to go to a stiffer spring, or put more clips in to raise the ride height.

The oil and piston control the speed of the shaft going in and out of the shock body. Kind of difficult to explain as there are other things they do also. Best thing to do is get different pistons and shock oils and try different combos. But you will probably never keep your chassis from hitting the ground without blowing out your shock seals. They're made to bottom out.

coolguy5 08-10-2005 09:01 PM

what wieght oil would you recomend. I use 30 wieght but i havent had any problems with my shocks i think it is the perfect dampening

jbrow1 08-10-2005 09:37 PM

If you like the way your shocks work than just keep em the way you like em. It's really all a personal preference in how you want your truck to feel. Unless trucks are jumping really high then they really don't need stiff shocks.

tony2 08-11-2005 07:09 AM

keep'em the same or get a few different viscosities and test them out, learn something to

Wicked-Wayz 08-11-2005 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by T3MAN
What wieght shock oil should I use on my t3. I was thinking 35 w . I want the shocks to be firm because right now if i drop the car from 2 feet above the ground the chassis hits the floor.

It is all personal preference though try this. 30/35 weight in the front 40/45 in the rear. Heavier spring in the front lighter in the rear. About 4 clips in the front & five in the rear. I have used this before & it has worked for me. The shock shaft not fully extending can be because of how the shock/s were built. There could also be a spacer inside keping it from fully extending. The way the shocks are built is bigger factor of why they are not extending. The springs will also somewhat cause this also. Pop the shock off, take of the spring & compress it. If it still does this rebuild your shocks to get the best extension possible. I have never bottomed out my truck so I am not sure what jbrow is talking about. I hope this helps you out, try different combos to fit your style.

Peace Aaron(W-W)

T3MAN 08-11-2005 08:07 AM

I took off my shock and compressed it and it fully extended itself. i think the wieght of the car is keeping the shocks from fully extending. Now what should i buy to fix this problem? Better Springs?

T3MAN 08-11-2005 08:23 AM

?

T3MAN 08-11-2005 08:42 AM

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tubaboy 08-11-2005 08:52 AM

When your shocks are mounted on the truck, they should not be fully extended once they are settled. Otherwise, you will have not have any play to allow the shock to extend for when it hits hole in the track. Shocks work in both directions. They dampen bumps, but they also extend when necessary to cover the holes.

If your ride height is to low add spacers to increase the ride height. This has been mentioned by several people in previous posts.

Also make sure that your shocks have the proper amount of oil. Remove the spring, and verify that when fully compressed the shock rebounds slightly. (The amount is up to you, but I prefer to have barely any rebound since that's how Charlie Perez builds his shocks.)

Good luck

Platinum_Racing 08-11-2005 09:00 AM

You don't always want your shocks to rebound 100%. The shocks should sit slightly compressed, so that when you hit a rut in the ground, your wheel will have room to travel down. This "downtravel" also helps keep your wheels touching the ground.