Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sudden shorter run times >

Sudden shorter run times

Sudden shorter run times

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Sudden shorter run times

I have a 4x4 sct with rx8 esc and pro4 4300 on 2s lipo. In the past two weeks my run times have been reduced to what seems to. Be almost half. The only problems I found was an end bell screw missing which I fixed without resolution. I'm also running two different lipos with the same result. Any ideas what I should start with?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Motor Bearings ? If your electronics temperatures have not changed all that much , look for a bad bearing or other driveline issue. Make sure your lvc hasnt been changed somehow. Are the batteries taking as long to charge back up ? Less time ?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Re-solder all of your connections. You could have a wire that is loose, but not completely off which can cause drastic drops in run time.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

ohhh lol, your run times. I thought at first you were refering to your lap times being reduced by half and you wanted to know what the problem was lol
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of charger are you running?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justinhip
I have a 4x4 sct with rx8 esc and pro4 4300 on 2s lipo. In the past two weeks my run times have been reduced to what seems to. Be almost half. The only problems I found was an end bell screw missing which I fixed without resolution. I'm also running two different lipos with the same result. Any ideas what I should start with?
Ok, here's what you need to look for:

Does the motor run hotter than it used to ?

ON your charger make sure you're paying attention to the mah going back into the battery after you run, how much are you putting in? How big is your pack?

Inspect the drivetrain of the car by removing the pinion, and spinning. Any roughness or tightness? Cycle the suspension make sure nothing is bent. These 4 pole motors can and will power through seized bearings. Note that on the 4wd SC trucks the rear pinion bearings are notorious for seizing up and you may not catch this until it blows out of the rear case.

Did you change the setup on the car? It is possible you've gotten better at drive or putting down the power and you're simply on the gas more now.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justinhip
How old are the batteries? Batteries don't last forever, and are considered wear items.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big_ads
Re-solder all of your connections. You could have a wire that is loose, but not completely off which can cause drastic drops in run time.
My guess is this. ^^^ I have had it happen to me. right above the solder joint which looked great, the wire was 1/2 to 3/4 of the way broken. Causing excessive heat and way shorter run times. It also hurt my battery.