Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Noob Help Please. (Brushless upgrade) HPI >

Noob Help Please. (Brushless upgrade) HPI

Noob Help Please. (Brushless upgrade) HPI

Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noob Help Please. (Brushless upgrade) HPI

Hey guys,

I bought an HPI E Firestorm about a year ago it came with firebolt15T engine and HPI SC-15 ESC.

When I got it I ran it a few weeks and it was fun but I wanted to upgrade it.
I talked to some experienced people and they all said "brushless" after checking around there were hundreds of different brushless engines and they all required me to upgrade the ESC i was figuring about $200 so i said that would have to wait.

About a month ago a friend of mine was selling his car (parting out) to buy a nitro car. He said I could have his 5900kv veKtor brushless motor and Vapor ESC for 40 bucks so i said sure. So i bought them and eventually got around to putting them on my truck. There really wasnt a great improvement. if any the truck was now really slow taking off and ran about the same top speed as before.

I read up on gearing and noticed the motor he sold me had a 23tooth pinion and that the original motor on my car was a 19 tooth so i swapped them out and it seems to have a little more pep but still lags a bit taking off and same top speed far as i can tell but all still no big improvement over the original motor.

I was wondering if i did something wrong or maybe the motor is just wore-out and thats why he wanted to sell it?

also im running the stock "hpi racing PLAZMA 72V-3300mAh NiMh batteries.

I have seen the newer firestorms called "FLUX" and they are from what I hear the same truck as mine but have brushless engine and esc and the have plenty of low end power for wheelies and stuff and say 50+ mph top speed

my car kinda lags taking off and maybe is doin 15-20 mph
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Try recalibrating the esc to your radio system. The procedure can be found here. http://www.hpiracing.com/en/instructions/106627
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

That motor should be tremendously faster than the stock brushed setup. Like 3-4X as fast. I would also make sure to calibrate the radio to the ESC as stated above. Keep the smaller pinion in there. You will likely need something even smaller than the 19T, but for now try that.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Done!

Okay done.

Its still acting the same. It makes a clicking noise when taking off same as if you were holding it still while giving it throttle. also doesnt have alot of power taking off.

is there anything else I can try?

I am not using the "ultra connecters" that pdf recommended im using the white regular ones because my battery had the white ones

thx for the help guys
Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
dtr
Tech Master

You definitely need better connectors and a better battery is highly recommended as well (a lipo capable of 100A continuous at least). Almost any other connector is better, like deans, xt60 or ec5.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Possible?

I talked to the local hobby shop they said that

higher kv = higher rpm = lower torque

they are telling me that the 5900kv motor is better suited for a lighter car and probably wont have the torq for a short course truck

they also said i could gear it down to get more torque but would then risk overheating problems

they said i should go with a 4300 brushless and that would give me the get up and go i need along with a decent top speed.

is this correct? or should i continue to try to figure out why im not getting results out of this brushless engine
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannoncooper
I talked to the local hobby shop they said that

higher kv = higher rpm = lower torque

they are telling me that the 5900kv motor is better suited for a lighter car and probably wont have the torq for a short course truck

they also said i could gear it down to get more torque but would then risk overheating problems

they said i should go with a 4300 brushless and that would give me the get up and go i need along with a decent top speed.

is this correct? or should i continue to try to figure out why im not getting results out of this brushless engine
did they even run the truck?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try tightening your clutch. It sounds like your clutch is slipping. Look up in the manual how to do this.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
did they even run the truck?
No I was just describing the issues to them and they acted like it was a simple quick answer. If this isnt the case i would like to do whatever it takes to get it running right.

I tried tightening the clutch manual says 6 turns past tight i did that then came in a turn to make it 5 turns no noticeable changes. should i keep tightening?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Bump

Bump
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would definately consider putting a LiPo battery in your vehicle. If you have not run one before then you are in for surprise!

Deans plugs of course are the standrard and provide the least ohms loss apart from direct soldering. These will help you.

Gearing down sound s like a good idea, maybe a 17 or even a 15.

Also check your gear mesh between your pinion and slipper. Make sure that the truck rolls easy when pushed w/ the motor installed and pinion engaged. If it barely moves, this ais a problem.

Sounds like your slipper is pretty good. If you hold your truck still while you hit the throttle you should hear a very quick and mild slip while feeling a good bit of force from the vehicle. If it is tight, generally that is fine. If you get it all working right and the back tires will not stop spinning and you can not keep the front end down then loosen the clutch a little.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know lipos and a suitable charger will cost a bit. There are some decent hobby brand cells on the market though. I know you will, but try the techincal stuff first just in case. If yuou find a problem then perhaps the LiPos could wait a few paychecks. Not too long though, you have no idea how much fun you are missing!