Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help me understand electric car meanings >

Help me understand electric car meanings

Help me understand electric car meanings

Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)
Default Help me understand electric car meanings

I run nitro for years and I would like to try out electric 1/10 buggy. I got a losi 22 2.0 but need a motor and speed control for it. I need help understanding what I need to look for on a motor and speed control. I'm new to this class so ill be running stock. I think I know the lower the number on a motor the faster it is. I would like to know what is blinky speed control, boost, what is a sensored and unsensored motor and what it does., Whats a normal temp on a motor. I would also like to know if there's a link that would teach me everything about running electric buggy? Im a noob on a electric, sorry for asking these questions but any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guss2009
I run nitro for years and I would like to try out electric 1/10 buggy. I got a losi 22 2.0 but need a motor and speed control for it. I need help understanding what I need to look for on a motor and speed control. I'm new to this class so ill be running stock. I think I know the lower the number on a motor the faster it is. I would like to know what is blinky speed control, boost, what is a sensored and unsensored motor and what it does., Whats a normal temp on a motor. I would also like to know if there's a link that would teach me everything about running electric buggy? Im a noob on a electric, sorry for asking these questions but any help would be appreciated.
Well I think you picked a very solid, competitive kit to start off with if you are racing. You are correct in that the lower the turn the faster the motor, the higher the turn the slower. Modified motors in offroad buggies are the fastest and are generally 6.5-10.5 turns for buggies. Stock, being a slower class is a higher turn motor. Stock motors are 17.5 turns, and many companies make them. There is also super stock at 13.5 turns.

Brushless motors come in 2 varieties: sensored and sensorless. Sensored motors run a sensor wire from the esc to the motor to better monitor the motor. They are generally used in racing because they provide very good throttle response. Sensorless motors are less commons racing, and more for bashing. They tend to not run well at low RPMs and aren't as responsive or precise on the track.

Speed controls can be made to accommodate sensored and sensorless motors, but majority of racing escs are sensored only. Some speed controls feature boost, which dynamically adds timing to the motor (on top of timing associated with the motor can itself). This can be programmed on the esc directly, through programming boxes, or on a computer depending on the make/model. You are able to adjust the amount of timing it adds and when it comes on in the motors Rpm range. This feature is generally only used in mod classes and super stock. Sometimes even a boosted 17.5 class is run. However it is most common to run a stock class in "blinky" mode. This is a no timing mode, where the esc will deliver 0 boost to the motor. This is generally how stock 17.5 racing runs. You just program the esc into this mode, and depending on the model of esc it will have a blinking light signifying no timing is added, hence blinky.

The most important part about deciding what gear to run is what classes are offered locally at your track? Check to make sure there is a 17.5 based class on a regular basis, and whether it is blinky or boosted. I would talk with other racers at the track for advice on which motor/esc to buy that will work best with your budget. There are some very competitive budget brands, and some over the top expensive luxury brands. You can also find a lot of good used gear on the cheap if you decide you don't like electric. I would look for an esc that might have a timing possibility, for if you decide to keep going with the class and eventually upgrade to a faster class. Many companies offer multiple versions of their speed controls. The full race spec with no motor limit, and a stock spec with a higher motor limit, designed specifically for 17.5 stock racing. The ladder is usually substantially cheaper, but just as good at the stock level.

Motor temps all depend on the track. I would first check out the TLR 22 thread on here for advice on gearing a 17.5. Then I would double check with locals at the track to ensure that you have around the correct ratio. The only for sure way to know if the gearing is good is by temps. As a good rule of thumb a motor should peaking at most 160° by the end of the run. It differs by brand, but any higher and it may lose performance over time. Gear to suit the temps accordingly. Timing also factors into the heat of the motor. And once again ask around for general settings from others running the motor or class.

Hope that this helped! Here may be some useful links:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...gy-thread.html
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow, great reply.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mschumi101
You are correct in that the lower the turn the faster the motor, the higher the turn the slower.
Are you sure???...

What I got from the forum is:
The lower the number of turns the slower it is and the higher the torque.
The higher the number of turns the faster it is and the lower the torque
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidwills
Are you sure???...

He is correct.

Stock classes use 17.5t and 13.5t depending where you are. Modified run in teh 5.5t to 9.5t range, also depending on track etc.

In simply terms:
Lower turn numbers = faster motor.

You could be thinking of KV ratings.
Lower KV = slower motor, higher KV = faster motor.

Low KV = high number of turns
High KV = low number of turns

Generally.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So nice to see such a great first reply. mshumi101 covered it all.
Someone, buy mshumi a beer.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
So nice to see such a great first reply. mshumi101 covered it all.
Someone, buy mshumi a beer.
Haha, thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidwills
Are you sure???...

You have it backwards!

Low turn motors will have the most RPM, hence they are faster. They trade this speed for torque.

Higher turn motors have less RPM, but have more torque than low turn motors.

With brushless tech these days though, low turn motors still do have a good amount of torque.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

Great info guys. I appreciate it.