Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either. >

Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.

Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.

We moved and I have about an 11' wide space that I can do what I want with. Cabinets, countertop, whatever. Nothing too crazy but I was wondering what sorts of things you guys have built into your workshop area that you might like to share.

Do you have something you slide your track totes into for easy access at home?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

A folding table with an ott light is how I roll.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

There's a few ideas in here to get you started:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t-pics-21.html
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mschumi101
There's a few ideas in here to get you started:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t-pics-21.html
Yeah, I have looked at that thread before. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

My work area is 9 X 14. I picked up a 5 foot dining room table at the scratch and dent store for $80. Then someone thought there was too much clutter. So I just installed two 36" base cabinets with drawers from the local big box and tossed a preformed top on it. Now it looks neat and clean, plus I got room for a lot more stuff! Oh and a display area to boot.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would do a workbench/counter top, maybe with drawers/shelves below... then at least a double set of shelves above you - that way you can mount lighting and have hooks to hang things like a dremel, paper towel holder, hair dryer, respirator, etc. I also like pegboard in front of me so I can hang small tools I use the most.
You can have a carpenter install a pro setup or make a bench and shelf out of MDF and 2x4's like I did.

Built in cabinets are nice, but you can get solid, functional storage racks from Costco (used to be called "Gorilla" racks) for inexpensive. I also like racks because I can see everything on every shelf. Cabinets give you more dust protection, though. But I just take a my leaf blower to the shelves every 6 months or so - clean as a whistle!

I do all my dirty work on the garage workbench, then I have a donated dining room table inside for all my clean wrenching.
Attached Thumbnails Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.-img_1626.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tutone
My work area is 9 X 14. I picked up a 5 foot dining room table at the scratch and dent store for $80. Then someone thought there was too much clutter. So I just installed two 36" base cabinets with drawers from the local big box and tossed a preformed top on it. Now it looks neat and clean, plus I got room for a lot more stuff! Oh and a display area to boot.
Can you throw a pic up on here? That sounds a lot like what I was thinking of doing.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There is a growing number of stores specializing in used building materials like cabinets. Good place to pick up a couple shop class units for cheap.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

All about Ikea As-Is....

Here is mine from about a year ago..

Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.-img_47684673227393.jpeg
Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Initiate

LOL - I like your's a whole lot better. Looks comfy.

I live in Florida and work indoors year round, so I had to go with something that has a WAF.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is my workbench for RC mainly and i really like it. I purchased from ebay for approx $250 then went to Global Industries to buy the shelving and adapted it. There are a few things I would've done differently.
- I would not have purchased the Global light kit - instead I used a T6 light fixture 6 bulb from cost less lighting (TOO BRIGHT - I am only using 2 bulbs and it is still brighter than the sun but I like it). I then used just the two light bars to mount it on the uprights.
- The global shelves are flimsy but work fine - but I would have mounted them back further. I changed the angle of the shelves
- I proly should've used a solid wood door for my table top and would've been a little deeper - but my space is limited.

Things I do like;
- I lined the shelves with a large TLR pitmat that I cut into two pieces which holds everything like a sticky mat almost
- I love the light - but I suggest a single or 2 bulb T6 from Cost Less Lighting they are best price I found
- I also purchased a roll of rubber 3/16" thick from Grainger - very expensive though.
- I bought my stools from FLY racing and had my logo printed from local graphix shop.
- Bought tool magnet holders and mounted them under neath the shelf and have the tools sticking out from under then labeled - I just did this today, before I had them mounted straight up and down but they were in my way.
All together I have in the $800 range. hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.-img_4329.jpg   Innovative, RC specific workbench setups? Doesn't have to be RC specific either.-img_4328.jpg