R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Stock vs. Mod (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/80208-stock-vs-mod.html)

Khan48 08-07-2005 04:42 PM

Stock vs. Mod

e

jbrow1 08-07-2005 04:54 PM

I'd say stock would be more suited to a beginner. Mod is fast and hard to control. Stock seems slow, but is actually almost as fast as the mod times. A good motor for stock racing would be a monster stock pro, or a p2k2 pro.

In stock you want top line batteries so they say. But that's only if you're good enough and the other guys are good enough that your laptimes are almost identical. Other than that your driving matters most. In mod racing batts don't play as big a role b/c to go faster you can just run a faster motor. Far as I'm concerned the 3300 batts out now are just fine even if you buy cheap unmatched ones. I've not seen to many races decided on the batts in the car.

Platinum_Racing 08-07-2005 05:01 PM

A stock motor is any 27 turn motor, with bushings, 2 magnets, and fixed timing. A "Mild" modified is anything down to about 15 or 17 turns, and generally has bearings, and adjustable timing. A "Spec" modifed is any 19 turn motor which meets all ROAR requirements, and is equipped with a locked endbell for fixed timing, and ball bearings. The stock motors usually give better run times, and decent life, while the modifieds have insane speed, with less torque. Brushless motors break convention and use a magnetic field, which keeps a central armature chasing polarity that it can never catch. Brushless motors provide a lot of torque, and ridiculous speed, all with better run times than a similar modified motor, and hardly any maintnence. This type of motor comes at a steep price however, when compared with a $100 modified motor. This price is also set high because of the required speed control, that a brushless motor operates with.

For a good stock motor, I would have to direct you down the path of the Monster Stock PRO, or a P2K2 PRO. The Monster stock is good for faster tracks, while the P2K2 has enough torque to push your car through tight corners, that demand constant acceleration. A Green Maching 3 would be a good choice, but they don't have the same torque as the Monster and the P2K2. Another option comes out of left field, but I found to be very suprising. The Integy Matrix V10 Twin Turbo I used once gave me suprsing top speed, with ample torque. Much better speed than my Moster. The Matrix also was a bit more forgiving about gear ratios, rather than heating up like a toaster oven on broil.

A good modified would probably be a D6, or an Orion V2 modified. They seem pretty good. I also would like to direct you towards a Fantom Factory Modifed motor, because of the crazy fast top end, and gobs of torque. The magnets in my Fantom are noticably heavier than the ones in the Speed Gems II we have kicking it's way around the shop. The Speed Gems motors are also pretty good, and are avalible in many winds, like Fantom's.

Brushless motors are starting to grow in popularity, and before you choose to ditch the brushes, I would reccomend that you wait until Novak releases the newest brushless system. They are coming out with a faster brushless system I believe, but I don't quite know when. Keep in mind that although these motors can get expensive, most of the time your also paying for that ESC. Remember, you also never have to fool around with brushes, springs, comm's, or anything silly like that. The only real drawback other than price would be the lack of braking power. A brushed motor works much better with the speed control to slow your car down, and allows you to stay on the throttle longer before hitting the brakes for the next big turn.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Platinum_Racing 08-07-2005 05:02 PM

Wow looks like while I was typing, you were stealing my thought!

:lol:

jbrow1 08-07-2005 05:07 PM

lol, I know lately some people have been talking about some motors that are going 20-30 runs between comm cuts. I forget what motor it is. I'll have to look it up. I'm a nitro guy thinking of getting into elec so your post is good for me to read!

Platinum_Racing 08-07-2005 05:10 PM

O'Donnell Checkpoint motor. Jared Tebo was the Team driver who advertised their excellent lifespan. Don't ask how or why I remembered that, because I don't even know. If you have any other questions, you can send me a PM.

jbrow1 08-07-2005 05:11 PM

Thanks.

Khan48 08-07-2005 05:54 PM

clarification

e

Platinum_Racing 08-07-2005 06:01 PM

Yup, you got it. Anything else?

KevinLRC 08-07-2005 07:19 PM

If you have to ask what the difference is you don't need to be buying any mod motors anytime soon.

Hick 08-07-2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbrow1
lol, I know lately some people have been talking about some motors that are going 20-30 runs between comm cuts. I forget what motor it is. I'll have to look it up. I'm a nitro guy thinking of getting into elec so your post is good for me to read!

Orion/Peak V2's ... good speed, good torque, long operational period between rebuilds. I have gone as high as 22 runs between truing the armature and changing brushes, just keep it clean.

Like with any motor, you can change to a "sprint" brushes, heavier springs and increase motor performance, but at a cost of a higher maintenance.

jbrow1 08-07-2005 09:58 PM

So it looks like I can get just the endbell and brushes and convert the motors I have to the v2 design? Will that be just as good as the peak motors they design for it?

Platinum_Racing 08-07-2005 10:21 PM

The V2 motors are designed from the ground up, so it won't be qute the same, but close enough to make you forget about your old endbell. I've never run a V2 motor, but I have seen one at my track in an RS4MT keep pace with the track owners brushless, so I have seen what they are capable of.

What motor would you put the endbell kit on?

JoshR 85 08-08-2005 12:06 AM

HeY!!!

i've heard that the v2 endbell kits aren't that great, no one around here by me has one, one guy tryed one and said no matter what he did it just felt like blaahhhh..... to flat on low end and took while to spool up to get to top end... and he wasn't a newbie or anything he knew what he was doin... what are you guys doin?????? maybe it might just be the track size we have its about 70'x30'ish....

Team Duratrax 08-13-2005 12:33 AM

Orion V2's have been known to last up to 50 runs depending on the number of turns and winds your V2 is. The Trinity Cobalt is another one of these economy motors that can last up to 40 runs.

Sean