Stock vs. Mod

Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
O'Donnell Checkpoint motor.
That is for the modified motors.

I dont think there is a stock motor that is setup for the 20-30 runs but you can change to the Trinity XXX Lemans brushes to make your stock motor faster and cleaner comms for the 20-30 runs.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well for the motors that can run 20 to 30 runs before a comm cut or brush replacement would have to be the epic shock.. this is a sweet motor and it has tons of low end and great high end.. I personally am running a shock and it is great they come with the xxx silver compund brushes.. But for my next race night wich happens to be tomorrow night i will try the trinty cobalt 8x2 flat wind
with the xxx silver brushes so i will have a good review i hope on this motor
Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

I was running Trinity Cobalt's this year in both T4 and B4, I was very impressed with them both. Another company that also makes some good motors is Fantom. http://www.fantomracing.com/ I think next year I may look into get them because I like the new "style" endbells.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
The Trinity Cobalt is another one of these economy motors that can last up to 40 runs.

Sean
Not even close to being true. Cobalts need to be cut every 5-7 runs depending the turn. I run them now, I am very happy with preformance but at cutting twice a night and buying a new motor every month and a half, I'll take alittle less performance and run the V2, those V2 motors are by far the best motors every produced. As far as I'm concerned, until I have an Epic Shock in my car and run it 20 times without cutting, I'm still beleiving that it's a Trinity motor and needs to be cut in 10 runs or less.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nick111
Not even close to being true. Cobalts need to be cut every 5-7 runs depending the turn. I run them now, I am very happy with preformance but at cutting twice a night and buying a new motor every month and a half, I'll take alittle less performance and run the V2, those V2 motors are by far the best motors every produced. As far as I'm concerned, until I have an Epic Shock in my car and run it 20 times without cutting, I'm still beleiving that it's a Trinity motor and needs to be cut in 10 runs or less.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJHE5&P=7

Thats where the 40 run figure came from but if you have had your own personal experience with this motor then i would rather believe you then tower.

Sean
Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The checkpoint motors are the real deal. The V2 is a great motor comm/brush life but the checkpoint it better. The Trinity/epic motors are getting more run with there XXX brushes but the comms still need cuts. I have heard the octagnal brush is reducint comm wear now but have not seen that first hand yet.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

We have an Integy V10 Twin Turbo here installed in our Pro-Stock Stampede with about 15 runs on it. The comm was dirty when we tore it down yesterday, but it wasn't in need of a comm cut. The brushes were also still good. The speed is tremendious, and I am actually thinking about converting my Bandit to one. The Monster Stock PRO in there is looking old.

Also, does anyone know if brushes with holes through the center will make a big impact on motor tempuratures? We have a Fantom Factory Hand-Wound Modified here running 6-7 degrees of timing that overheats to the point where it melts the solder from the tabs. It is a strange issue. It is installed in an old RC10 Graphite that is extremely lightweight, and is mated to a Novak Tempest PRO speed control. All it has to spin are 2.0" Pro-Line Road Hawg tires, and 15/54 gearing. We tried running 48 pitch gearing, but the same problem happened. It is crazy fast, but it is a dissapointment that it can't even last through a full GP 3300 pack. We intend to make this issue solvable with a prototype heatsink brace around the motor that will use the stock motor mounting plate as a type of shroud. We hope this, along with the brushes will keep the tempuratures down to a manageable tempurature.

(So, you still think you want to run a modified? )
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

I dont know, I have been running a Cobalt all year and have had EXCELLENT results from it.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nwilcox88
Another company that also makes some good motors is Fantom. http://www.fantomracing.com/ I think next year I may look into get them because I like the new "style" endbells.
Go for it. Fastest mod motor we have here, which says a lot seeing as how we have around 25 or 30 floating around. Hand wound armature is flawless, and the magnets give the whole motor a hefty feel. The thing has got to weigh 1/3 more than any other motor here, and I wouldn't doubt those magnets judging by the field.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Platinum_Racing-- What are you talking about?

Fantom is just another small motor winder. They use tear downs from other manufactures and wind there own motors. The "new" endbell is just the Orion/Peak Top motor tear down. The can, arm, and endbell are all the same as the V2 motors. The only difference is they wind the motors themselves. There is no weight difference and the only difference in performance is due to winding techniques.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

I know, similar to Epic and Trinity. The Fantom motor we have still outperforms any modified motor we have here. Fantom's "Tuning" really make the difference. The I just made the comment that the magnets were extremely strong. Even if it shares magnets with another modified motor, the magnets are still much stronger and heavier than similar modifieds we use. Another example would be HPI. They Don't make there own radios, Airtronics does it for them. If want something to really blow your mind, look at Ford Motor Company. The Ford Ranger is actually a re-badged Mazda B3000, and the Chevrolet S10, is actually made by Izuzu. Go figure! But if someone owns a Ranger, they can still make comments about Ford's reliability and comfort. Ford, like Fantom, just tweaks the products, and re-badges them.