Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by o.s. power
your just saying that because you love associated.
seriously some of these new electric buggy shells look fricken farken fugly man!!!

yeah seriously ace and garry type cars
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Evicerator
Well at least there is some discussion and pictures from the race here...

Always nice to see that the Orion "live coverage" is always about a week late

Am new to this, was my first time following along and I think the Orion reports were good and were fast with the results imo, disagree ?

The live video was cool, no one has done that before as far as I know, or am I missing something ?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

i have a couple of spy shots im sure there are more out there but these are the ones i took at the worlds, give me a day or so cause i dont have a program right now to schrink the size down, any suggestion on a program to do this....

Thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Ellis
i have a couple of spy shots im sure there are more out there but these are the ones i took at the worlds, give me a day or so cause i dont have a program right now to schrink the size down, any suggestion on a program to do this....

Thanks
I've never tried it, or even downloaded it becuase I've got photoshop, but I found this with a google search. Give it a shot.

http://www.xat.com/jpegopt/jpeg_optimizer.shtml
Old 08-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Are my eyes decieving me, or are all the cars starting to use the same kind of wheels/mounting?

Look at the front of the Kyosho Ultima proto - it has what looks like Losi spindle carriers with the Losi spacer on the inside, and the familiar hexed mounting method. Plus it looks like a Kyosho spec wheel too...
Does it also use Losi/assoc style rears?

The Yokomo 4wd protos also had Losi front wheels with AE rears, this means all the 4wd's (All the Losi's, the yokomo, the BJ4) there used the same style mounting method.
Please let Kyosho and Schumacher use the same on their 4wd buggies, then we can swap brand of cars without having to fork out for new wheels. Wohoo!

Then the use of a standard rim will be possible for handout tyres, just like for touring car racing. What an advantage for tracks that run big meetings, they can have premounted tyres, so no need for inspection while mounting (As at worlds at Minnreg) and they can be sure nothing is mucked with!

I can't believe no one else picked up on this?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

They actually look like they might be metric though on the 2wd?? (12mm TC size)..

Wish the Kyosho guys posted on here...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Knowing Kyosho they probably are using a 12mm hex. They have been using this method years before touring cars (1986 I think?)

And the front axles/spindle/hub carriers look like they ARE Losi units, not just copies.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds-8510.jpg   Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds-8511.jpg   Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds-8512.jpg   Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds-8513.jpg   Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds-8514.jpg  

Old 08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Being a hardcore Losi Fan I hate to admit it but that jrx-4 body is just ugly I hope its not the production body. It would have been nice to have a sealed drivetrain again but I don't think that's possible. They also better have some good cooling Ideas for the electronics.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like the carbon fiber shock towers!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The BJ4 has been around since 2003, even though it was not available to the public for the whole time. To update a design in the period of 2 years is not unheard of. I would rather own a car from a MFG who is constantly trying to advance and make improvements. I would say that the newest revision would be quite welcomed into my garage (I have had a saddle pack chassis drawn up for it, just no funds to build it).

I do like the idea that everyone is standardizing on wheels, I think that it is a good idea, and not unheard of/uncalled for. TC and monster trucks have been doing this for a long time.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

timmay, i'll drop some BJ4 notes for everyone.
The origional car was talked about for a couple of years, during bench racing sessions on a regular basis. When the worlds at Minnreg was announced Jason and Brad had a few brain storming sessions, but never really decided to do something until about 2 and a 1/2, maybe 3 weeks before the 03' worlds. They got two prototypes together and completed one day before the race and the only testing was running the car up and down the road in front of Jasons house. Jason qualified the BJ4 car in the top of the B main and had a lead until he brake checked Hodge and fell back on the last lap.

After the 05' worlds warm up it was apparent to Jason that the car needed more rear weight bias for the conditions, so this time they had about 2-3 months, which is plenty of time to develop and manufacture all the new items needed, LOL(not, maybe compared to the first time though). This new layout had nothing to do with any other brands and none were used in it's development......In fact if anything i've noticed a trend by other companies to begin using the B4 arms and revised shock positions like the BJ4 has? But, now that Jason (and brad) has done molded front arms that are more beefy then the B4 arms the BJ4 will have it own version of reasonably priced arms.

The "worlds" version had a couple of batteries of testing on it, a couple days before leaving for Italy, but they did have the luxury of the proven layout on the first version if it did not go as planned. Since the new version felt and timed better in the worlds conditons, they stuck with it and it paid off. It won't make the first version obsolete, but it will be better on rough, loose tracks.

If it is not evident, i'm really proud of Jason and Brad! They have worked 17 and 18 hour days, usually 7 days a week, making sure they are bringing a top level product to everyone and since i've worked with Jason on our Bodies for years now i've witnessed his drive for perfection and this worlds win is a
result of it!
Cavalieri did an awesome job coming from 4th on the grid and if his car wasn't competitive he wouldn't have been able to win and Ryan Maifield would not have been TQ!

All this coming from a guy labeled as a "die-Hard Losi fan"......, Jim
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

your just saying that because you love associated.

No, I'm only pointing it out cause it's a fact.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ok it wasn't innovative, but it worked, and losi knew it worked and it still works to this day. Most companies are going to look at how the yok and bj4 "worlds" car performed, and even the xx-4, and this will probably be the template for 4wds in the future.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ok it wasn't innovative, but it worked, and losi knew it worked and it still works to this day. Most companies are going to look at how the yok and bj4 "worlds" car performed, and even the xx-4, and this will probably be the template for 4wds in the future.
I don't think that's necessarily correct. As mentioned on this thread, the layout of the 4wd's running at the worlds reflected the need for more weight over the rear due to the track conditions.

If the track was much smoother, with better grip, then in all likelyhood most Losi drivers would have run the XXX4 and the BJ drivers would have run their existing chassis.

The new Yokomo's cell position had been decided long before the worlds warm-up, as it is based on the YMP chassis, which had the same layout.

If JConcepts release their new chassis as an option - it will be interesting to see if drivers racing on blue-groove tracks run it just for the sake of it being "new" rather than providing any performance benefit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.