R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   H.P.I. "MT Mesh" wheels on Jato??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/79715-h-p-i-mt-mesh-wheels-jato.html)

MarcTroy 08-01-2005 09:42 PM

H.P.I. "MT Mesh" wheels on Jato???

I'm trying to fit H.P.I. "MT Mesh wheels (#2196) with Pro-Line RoadRage IIs (#1062-00) on my Jato. The Jato's bearings are too large to fit the H.P.I. front wheels - I believe I need to use 2 - 6x5x3mm bearings per wheel but I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

Does anyone have an idea where I can get them or an alternative?

Thanks...

Platinum_Racing 08-01-2005 10:43 PM

A 6X5X3 is actually a pretty small bearing. You have posted in the right place however. Soon, we hope to offer full ball bearing kits on our Website! Whatever you do, don't go for VXB ball bearings. They deal mainly on Ebay, and boy, they make some pretty sucky bearings. Every set they send sucks! We bought one set to check them out, and just about every one of their smaller bearings have exploded! The only thing good about them is they sell so many bearings, they don't pay attention, so for your origional $6 purchase, you can keep filing with them that their bearings failed, and they will keep sending more! It's pretty funny! There bearings aren't really even worth the time, but they do come in handy when you really need a bearing somewhere. I only tried them in one car, and that was the Juggernaut. My Teammate uses them in a Rustler, and just about every bearing that goes into those wheels comes out in pieces! I pray to God that those bearings don't blow in my Jugg tranny and mess it up even more! Even for the beaters like the Ford F-150 I have I give supreme treatment to. Rubber shielded for the wheels and exposed tranny sections, and metal shielded for the internals. Depending on your budget, check out the ceramic nitride ball bearings avalible. They are supposed to me some of the roundest, smoothest bearings (I really had to choose my words carefully there!) avalible, and they are priced accordingly. Anyway, good luck in your hunt for bearings!

Platinum_Racing 08-01-2005 10:59 PM

Actually, does Traxxas still use the old spinning stub axle method of wheel bearings? They did on most of their electric cars, and they may still use that system on the JATO. If so, all you need is an HPI adapter kit ($3), and you should be all set. The older Traxxas electric cars used a system where the front wheels atached to an axle that spun with the wheel via a hex nut, just like on the rear wheels, so if this system is the same for the JATO, you just need wheels with hexes in them. What style of wheel is the HPI? Last I knew they were hex type right? I used to have 5 spoke HPI chrome rims with hex hubs, so I am not sure if they changed them since.

By the way 200TH POST HOORAY!!!!!

:p Now I have to celebrate...I'm gonna go get a cheese steak!:p

Awwwww...it's 2:00AM, and the closest place thats open is 18 miles away! :cry: Should I risk the 18 mile journey, naw, I'll just go to bed... :( cheese steakless and alone. :(

crazyjr 08-10-2005 06:51 AM

Hey Platnium, all nitro traxxas use 5X11(not sure of width maybe 3mm) in the wheel.The HPI wheels in question use rc10 front wheel bearings(not sure of exact size)

Platinum_Racing 08-10-2005 02:09 PM

In the wheels of the electric cars, they use small bushings, but you can buy RPM oversized bearing carriers. I think the nitro ones are the same, but come with small bearings instead of the bushings. Traxxas uses 5X11's in the Magnum 272 trannies though. The RC10 wheels use 2 bearings inside the wheel I think.

WheelNut 08-10-2005 10:54 PM

HPI does not make a MT mesh wheel that will fit the front of the Jato. RPM 5x11mm bearing carriers are also not an option on this truck. The HPI 5 star wheels are avaliable to fit the front of the Jato. I would recommend the Traxxas 5-spoke prostar wheels, they look awsome and fit well on the Jato. RPM also makes a number of different wheels that fit the Jato.

Really your only option if you want to keep those wheels is to drill out the bearing holes to 11mm, which is not really something I would recommend.

I work at a hobby shop and I'm always helping people find rims that will fit on the Jato, so I know that it is kinda tough to get the right rims for it.

Jato_Ho 12-05-2005 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by WheelNut
The HPI 5 star wheels are avaliable to fit the front of the Jato.

Whats the model number of these 5 star wheels?

Do you know if the F5 TRUCK WHEEL (FRONT/CHROME) Part Number # 3042 will fit the Jato?

Alex