Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
icharger 106b+ help >

icharger 106b+ help

icharger 106b+ help

Old 02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default icharger 106b+ help

Hey guys I recently bought an I charger 106b+ and I'm having some issues with it.

When charging lipo batteries in ballance charge the charger won't cut off. I'm charging a glacier lipo 5000mah pack 55c hard case at a rate of 1c so that should be a rate of 5 amps correct? I also have my cutoff voltage set to 4.15v per cell.

Ok so here is what happens. When the charger reaches 4.15v per cell 8.3v per pack it starts stepping down the current untill it gets to 1.7a then it starts fluctuating rapidly between 1.7 and 2 amps but will never drop.

I decided to monitor it and let it go and see what happens. Well it keept fluctuating between 1.7 and 2 amps and the charger never cutoff I finally manually stopped it when the battery was at 4.22 volts per cell.

But I noticed the fharger only does this on lipo ballance charge. When I go to lipo charge or lipo fast charge it cuts off at 4.15v per cell.

Is there a firmware update that fixes this? Is something wrong with my charger? And what's the difference between fast charge and charge? I thought fast charge ignored lipo cell ballance but then what's charge?

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Are your cells balanced? It just sounds like it's balancing them. I have 2 of those chargers, they're great.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
Are your cells balanced? It just sounds like it's balancing them. I have 2 of those chargers, they're great.
Yes perfectly so. But it shouldn't be trying to take them above 4.2 v per cell I would think
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the 108 charger, and honestly can't say I've tried balance charging at anything less than 4.2V/cell cut-off. What is the reason for not charging to the standard 4.2V?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal. The charger is tapering down the amps and balancing the cells. The duration of this will largely depend on the health and quality of the pack. I have noticed I have one shorty pack that is getting long in the tooth and will typically take longer to balance charge than my other packs. The icharger's are excellent. I use a 306b and have charged at rates up to the maximum 30 amps for my model. Don't be afraid to charge at higher rates if you have a capable power supply.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkscope001
Yes perfectly so. But it shouldn't be trying to take them above 4.2 v per cell I would think
You can change the end voltage by scrolling through the menu. Id leave it though thats not a big deal over .02