Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce! >

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Hello All, I've created this thread to discuss all the ways we like to use and abuse our tires.

First question: Who's using open cell foam? Ya know the plain white foams that you usually get with your tires. This seems like older technology and I have been using the AKA red closed cell foam exclusively for the last year. It's very consistent and fits very well in a variety of brands tires. It also seems to hold up well when using traction compounds.

Thanks!

Last edited by 13Maschine; 02-28-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Who's been using the new EVO style rims from AKA? What tires have you tried with them so far? I've heard some people running barcodes on them…..
Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Would it be possible to do a break down of brands what each color/compound is best used for? on the first post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

I have also used the Pro Line Closed Cell foam that is blue and it is very similar to the AKA perhaps somewhat smaller. It's tough to tell as often the profile and shape are different from brand to brand although the foam might be very similar in hardness. I've also used the Panther foams which seem to be the softest so far. I currently only have one set and I felt it made my tires feel a little too flat so I never tried another set. I may try a set in the front of my 4WD as a tuning option later on.

So far I like closed cell foams as they seem to hold up much better. some of my tires are treated with tire sauce and the foams seem to be stable through many kinds of treatments. WD40, Sticky Kicks Blue, Simple Green, etc.

Does that help Cripple?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

I've just mounted up several new sets of tires and wheels so I have more information to share. It seems pro line clay compound is a little harder than AKA and Panther clay compounds. Performance seems pretty similar on the track so far though. I'm on my third set of Pro Line Ions and I've used them at a couple of different clay tracks. I get decent wear out of them. Usually a couple of days of full practice. Morning to night.

Foams I've settled on using AKA red closed cell firm foams for now. It's nice to have a standard foam so when I change tires I'm still on the same foams for consistencies sake. Also suspension usually changes a bit with different foam as this is the first point of impact for jumping and landing etc. it seems the panther closed cell foams (orange) are a little softer. This might be a good tuning aid. The Jconcepts medium closed cell also seems like a possible tuning aid. I don't see using the old style open cell foams anymore, they always seem to break down before the tire.

Can anyone share their comments on tire tuning? compounds etc?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

I've also experimented with a few different kinds of tire sauce. So far I've used WD40, and I have several flavors of sticky kicks. Blue, Red, and Yellow. I've heard green is also good.

What else have you tried? Do you use different sauce on different compound tires?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes, PL MC clay compound has been pretty hard. However, they have changed their MC compound recently and now it's very, very, very different. I like it quite a bit better so far.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
I've just mounted up several new sets of tires and wheels so I have more information to share. It seems pro line clay compound is a little harder than AKA and Panther clay compounds.

Can anyone share their comments on tire tuning? compounds etc?
FYI, Panther now has a "Blue" clay compound that is more firm than their "Pink" clay compound. Interesting that indoor racing has proliferated the way it has and only now is a company doing a second clay compound.

I was also recently discussing with a fellow racer that it seems antiquated to have a grid or waffle pattern molded inside the tire's casing these days. With closed cell foams the tires' shape is under control. The waffle pattern just serves to break down the foam faster. 1/8 tires aren't like that and haven't been for a very long time.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

@GTIclay: I had a set of handout ions from the Reedy race that seem quite a bit different from the IONS i just picked up from Amain. My handout tires were double purple dot….Maybe this was a test for the new compound?

@DavidKa: Interesting…harder clay compound. I was just discussion tire compounds last night with the owner of our track and he recommended I try super soft instead of clay. Our track is a clay indoor track and we keep it pretty smoother and high traction. When it's extra wet you can run slicks.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Can anyone confirm hardness from AKA? Is it Clay->Soft->Super Soft in terms of hardness?
Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

J concepts has a new grey insert that they are still testing.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Jconcepts also has a silver compound now which I've read is a soft clay tire. Softer than gold. The only place I've seen them for sale is on their website. Want to try them but haven't had the chance yet.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

isn't JConcepts green softer than gold?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm hardness from AKA? Is it Clay->Soft->Super Soft in terms of hardness?
Here is what I found for Aka
Hard to soft
Clay
Soft
Super soft
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

isn't JConcepts green softer than gold?
JC Green is softer than gold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.