Wiki Posts
Search

TLR Low Frequency Springs - Worth it? $

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Questions?? TLR Low Frequency Springs - Worth it? $

It's time for me to rebuild my 22 and 22T shocks. I've already got the low-friction X-rings installed, but I don't have the machined pistons or low frequency springs. I'm just wondering if anybody has some firsthand experience with them. Did they make a distinct difference over the original springs? Worth the ~ $45 for a full set? Same for the machined pistons, really worth the $15/set? For what it's worth I already have all the 2.0 suspension parts installed on the buggy.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got the LF spring sets for the 22-4. Much better than the stock non-LF springs imho. Just made the car feel more settled for me.

Sorry I cant give more of a technical reply, but I love the LF springs so far
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uclabruins89
Just made the car feel more settled for me.
Thanks for the reply. That's really what I'm wanting - my car to feel more settled or consistent. I just really wish we could buy those springs individually rather than in packs.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What you have to understand about the LF springs (and why they come as a set!) is that they are all based around the Orange spring in front and the yellow out back. So, for example, for the fronts, the pink LF is still stiffer than the red nonLF and the silver LF is still softer than the silver non LF.

You just get micro steps between springs.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gticlay
What you have to understand about the LF springs (and why they come as a set!) is that they are all based around the Orange spring in front and the yellow out back. So, for example, for the fronts, the pink LF is still stiffer than the red nonLF and the silver LF is still softer than the silver non LF.

You just get micro steps between springs.
LF springs have more to do with them than just rates... they have less push back, so they feel softer than non-LF springs of similar rate. From TLR blog:

"The LF springs have a higher coil count than the traditional TLR Spring, which provides a lower frequency and a much less progressive feel. On the track, this translates to more overall grip around the track, and a less aggressive spring rebound which really helps the car settle after landing jumps."

http://losiracing.blogspot.com/2013/...-22-buggy.html
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

I'm less concerned about the spring rates (or the increments) but more interested in the additional grip and decreased rebound. I race on a hard-packed but loose/dusty track so people are always looking for traction.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I run them on my Serpent buggies with machined pistons. Worth every penny! They make the buggy feel like it has air suspension.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

LF springs have more to do with them than just rates... they have less push back, so they feel softer than non-LF springs of similar rate. From TLR blog:

"The LF springs have a higher coil count than the traditional TLR Spring, which provides a lower frequency and a much less progressive feel. On the track, this translates to more overall grip around the track, and a less aggressive spring rebound which really helps the car settle after landing jumps."

http://losiracing.blogspot.com/2013/...-22-buggy.html
Yeah, I know about that sales jargon It's important that people don't think a pink is a pink is a pink though.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gticlay
Yeah, I know about that sales jargon It's important that people don't think a pink is a pink is a pink though.
It would only be jargon if it wasn't true, but what they say about progression and increased traction is absolutely true. LF springs are worth every penny like the guy up there said.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I bought them, but liked AE springs more. Not worth the $45, imo.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It would only be jargon if it wasn't true, but what they say about progression and increased traction is absolutely true. LF springs are worth every penny like the guy up there said.
There are no universal truths in setup. Mugen released new springs a few years back that went completely the opposite direction.

Bummer that they don't sell them in pairs...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Bummer that they don't sell them in pairs...

Hopefully they do what AE did, when the big bores first came out they only sold them in the sets, then they released them as pairs. If not thats a cheap way of making you buy all of them for only wanting/ needing a certain rate. i just ran into this with my sons 22, wanted try Phends set up, well guess what, i cant get the springs without getting the whole set for 45 bucks, so i just got the AE springs that were the closest. And to be honest the AE springs fit and feel better. And in comparing rates, the coil counts are similar between the TLR LF and AE. One of our more seasoned drivers gave a quick no scientific run down on his experience with springs: Kyosho --> AE/ Avid --> TLR.