Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serious question:  Should ROAR ban tire sauce? >

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
If we're going to talk about "growth" of the hobby though, this isn't the right topic to start with.
I look at it the way I do because we have decades of history repeating itself to look back on. Touring car revived the hobby because they had rubber tires that lasted a long time and didn't need manicured surfaces. By the time it really declined, it was obvious that batteries, disposable brushed motors, and tire expense were the things drowning it. Only one of those is really left at club level today.

As for growth, we know there are obstacles to getting into the hobby but like I said, it's cheaper and more attainable than it ever has been. When I see the average age hovering well above 30, I consider Kraig's comment below. How often to parents go to tracks with their kids and decide not to help them get into it?

Originally Posted by Kraig
As for me, I won't let my kid put any kind of traction compound (WD40, motor spray, etc) on his tires because of the possible long term affects. I myself have started watching my exposure too.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

But what I AM saying is I don't like seeing rules imposed on everyone just because "some" don't like it.
I think the point is, MOST people don't like it, but a lot of people are "forced" to use it to stay competitive in their class. At least, that's how I'm seeing it.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corners
I think the point is, MOST people don't like it, but a lot of people are "forced" to use it to stay competitive in their class. At least, that's how I'm seeing it.
+1
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

No one said this hobby was going to be cheap or healthy.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Team Tekin

I don't mind saucing, had to do it all this last weekend. It made the cars more fun to drive and doesn't smell terrible. Exposure? We solder our electronics with leaded solder, use electric motor spray on motors and inhale CA fumes gluing tires.

I don't think sauce should be banned.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

maybe the sauce should be banned and maybe the tire companies can make tires that don't need sauce to be fast.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LOW ET
maybe the sauce should be banned and maybe the tire companies can make tires that don't need sauce to be fast.
"Fast" is relative to everything else around you. Take away the sauce, and everyone is the same. You'll be just as "fast" as you were.
Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
I don't mind saucing, had to do it all this last weekend. It made the cars more fun to drive and doesn't smell terrible. Exposure? We solder our electronics with leaded solder, use electric motor spray on motors and inhale CA fumes gluing tires.

I don't think sauce should be banned.
When you say "had to", do you mean so you could stay just as fast as everyone else?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

"Fast" is relative to everything else around you. Take away the sauce, and everyone is the same. You'll be just as "fast" as you were.
i agree. but why are guys using the sauce, faster laps, better traction for longer periods??? make a tire that has all that built in.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i agree. but why are guys using the sauce, faster laps, better traction for longer periods??? make a tire that has all that built in.
The sauce is to gain an advantage over the competition, thus the competition has to sauce.

I see saucing rc car tires no differently than applying stickum to your hands and arms in a football game. Go look at old football photos of players applying stickum during a football game before they banned it. Same thing here. Get rid of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by predu
I race at a low to maybe medium indoor clay. I don't use any sauce, when alot do. I have no problem keeping up and /or beating people who do. Also doesn't the sauce only last for so many laps,Like half a race or so. What do you do after it wears off?
Well it depends on the lasting. Most of this stuff puts some type of oil back into the tire that the cleaners stripped out. But it can also soften the carcass somewhat and that wont go away in one run.

The fact is that tire sauce can make tires last longer to a point. There is always a point where the tire just becomes unusable because the bead glue is broken down too much or the foam is worn out. Any type of soap or simple green can act as a degreaser that saps the natural and not so natural oils out of the tires. It's a catch 22 situation though. Just washing with plain water is more difficult, but using soap can dry out the rubber.

This is just an un banable issue. So we would end up with Roar Approved tire sauce, that some companies would have to pay Roar to approve. By what testing means would Roar approve or not approve a sauce? Taste test? Whiff test? Rub it on their skin and see if it leaves a rash? Then if Roar approves it, what kind of un tamperable container is it going to be in? And how will someone know a small puncture wasn't put in the can to leak out the roar approved stuff and inject the good stuff? Then we have to tech the cans closely to make sure the can wasn't tampered with. Screw all that shit. Sauce up your damn tires, try not to do it in confined places, and wear wear gloves (they are cheap).

Like Randy said most of this stuff is just a few cans of stuff you find at the hard ware store. A dash of this and a dash of that. Maybe a little Gucci perfume to make it smell a little better….
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captcha
We have a home brew that is odorless, takes 2 laps to break in, and lasts a 6 minute main + 6 minutes after. Doesn't smell like I said, if it does it is very faint, and uses common chemicals that you could run across in day to day basis. Obviously if miss used it can be harmful, but so can regular drinking water.
Do tell.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the big rc
This may be true, but that's why it's called off road. You need to change as the track changes, that's the fun of the hobby. Taking a chance on a tire that you think will work makes the difference.
I agree. But i do like going to all sorts of tracks. From medium traction dirt, to dirt clay mix, to just straight clay using sauce. I really dont mind the sauce. I know it is not good to be breathing in those fumes. Most of the time if i smell the stuff i go outside to get fresh air. I gotta say the clay with sauce is the mpst fun. Just this weekend i decided to be the only one to try gold barcodes on our indoor clay track. They were horrible the first 2 qualifiers. Then on about the 3rd lap in the 3rd qual they got to a sweet spot and started RIPPING. i had to sauce them to get them to hook up but it was way better than closed cell with a super soft tire. Forward traction like an open cell and side traction like a closed cell. Best of both worlds. Then in the main these golds were literally the golden ticket. So much corner speed bc i wasnt so hooked up, like on super softs. It was a nice cpnsistent traction. But again i had to sauce these tires. Tires will work on the clay but to work awesome they need the sauce
Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Afun
IMO, I don't think Roar has done anything to promote the hobby. I say do whatever you want, don't give Roar the opportunity to ban something.
+1000. Who cares what Roar does as no one uses their rules any ways. Roar can ban it but it won't change anything as far the majority of big races run in the south and probably the majority of the country.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The sauce is to gain an advantage over the competition, thus the competition has to sauce.

I see saucing rc car tires no differently than applying stickum to your hands and arms in a football game. Go look at old football photos of players applying stickum during a football game before they banned it. Same thing here. Get rid of it.
If they'd just go back to real tracks that are made out of dirt and are fun, sauce wouldn't be a factor. Then again parts wouldn't break as easily either.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
If they'd just go back to real tracks that are made out of dirt and are fun, sauce wouldn't be a factor. Then again parts wouldn't break as easily either.
^^^this

When was the last time any of you indoor clay only racers have raced on a legit blue groove dirt track?
Now that's traction! Grab some m3 holeshots and my mod MM 2wd buggy will pull the front wheels up getting on the straight at our local track, no sauce, no fuss. And we only sweep between rounds not every race and I've never been searching for traction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.