Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serious question:  Should ROAR ban tire sauce? >

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Since we are off topic. How many people including the thread starter are members of ROAR? This forum is not the place to get any actions done through ROAR. Feed your thoughts to a ROAR sanctioned track owner who can then relay the information to a regional director and up the chain of command.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Not currently. Been a member off and on since 1996.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
There are no facts in this post. Everything in bold is patently wrong.

Also, how many $13 sets of tires?
The only facts that I've seen from the opponents is that it's a fact they dont like it. That's not reason to ban it for every one else. Can you give me some facts about why it should be banned?

It's not uncommon to use the same tires with traction compound for 4+ weekends at the nearest tracks to me: Bumps and McCulloughs. Both are indoor blue grove clay/dirt. If you are meticulous with caring for the tires and not overdoing it, you can go even longer.

My perspective on this is as an electric racer who also attends nitro races and gets recruited to pit for nitro guys. I inhale god only knows how much nitro methane and smell like it every where I go, but, I never thought to ban it or outlaw it. I help out when asked to and even though its not for me.

I would never try to stop everyone else from doing it unless I had, as you call them, facts.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

relating to the thread title...why should it be ROAR's decision and should they do it? Who would that affect, not me. That David is why so many post are off topic, which is fine I guess.

And if ROAR does ban sauce I'll no longer have my favorite brand of "man juice" to attract all the ladies
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

There are probably just as many terrible things in our homes and we never demand msds sheets for those. Some people today may be better off living in a bubble. If you are worried then use the protective measures suggested on those data sheets for properly handling, etc.

I am a regional director and I have heard no mention of this idea from the ROAR side of the house.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
The only facts that I've seen from the opponents is that it's a fact they dont like it. That's not reason to ban it for every one else. Can you give me some facts about why it should be banned?

I would never try to stop everyone else from doing it unless I had, as you call them, facts.
"Fact" was your choice of word so here's a list from this discussion for review:

Facts:
  • inhaling solvent vapors is harmful to the health of humans
  • traction compounds accelerates tire and foam wear
  • the last one increases the month to month costs of racing
  • many racers (including paid pros) choose not to participate at some race venues based on traction compound use alone
Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by racer1812
And if ROAR does ban sauce I'll no longer have my favorite brand of "man juice" to attract all the ladies
"99% of the time it works 60% of the time.."
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

"Fact" was your choice of word so here's a list from this discussion for review:

Facts:
  • many racers (including paid pros) choose not to participate at some race venues based on traction compound use alone
Comments on item 1. Smelling is the not the same as inhaling or huffing. I have not witnessed racers huffing traction compound. Depending on the solvent and environmental factors like exhaust air pressures, flash points, evaporation levels, etc. The levels of exposure are probably not great enough to be more than irritants rather than harmful.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"99% of the time it works 60% of the time.."
Even with those odds I'm still likely to...never mind, I'm married.

And she asks "what's that smell downstairs in the family room"..I say that's speed baby, speed!

My position will always be that it's each tracks call, not ROAR's. And why should it be?

Health wise, I weld for a living and grew up washing race car parts in gasoline with my bare hands; I'm a dead man walking anyway. I may as well have fun with my toys while I'm here
Old 02-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Facts:
You have any evidence of the last? actually scratch that you have solid proof of any of that? Amazing that we already have a bunch of 'facts' with out any real facts about them.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mupchu
You have any evidence of the last? actually scratch that you have solid proof of any of that? Amazing that we already have a bunch of 'facts' with out any real facts about them.
Jared Tebo left smactrac because the fume were too much.
http://jtprc.com/2014/02/10/apology/
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://jtprc.com/2014/02/10/apology/
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jmackani
Comments on item 1. Smelling is the not the same as inhaling or huffing. I have not witnessed racers huffing traction compound. Depending on the solvent and environmental factors like exhaust air pressures, flash points, evaporation levels, etc. The levels of exposure are probably not great enough to be more than irritants rather than harmful.
Breathing fumes for 8-12 hours = inhaling. I am sure all of those factors have been studied ad-nauseum prior to banning smoking in restaurants and public places. Irritation is your body's reaction to harm.

Yes. The proof is all of the many indoor tracks banning paragon and other compounds. It was reported above that Jared Tebo left the Jconcept race a couple of weeks ago because of the fumes. When racers stop racing because of cost in the lipo/brush less era, what do you think is driving that?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Breathing fumes for 8-12 hours = inhaling. I am sure all of those factors have been studied ad-nauseum prior to banning smoking in restaurants and public places. Irritation is your body's reaction to harm.

Yes. The proof is all of the many indoor tracks banning paragon and other compounds. It was reported above that Jared Tebo left the Jconcept race a couple of weeks ago because of the fumes. When racers stop racing because of cost in the lipo/brush less era, what do you think is driving that?
Tell the full story and not take it out of context. He Left due to fear of fumes affecting his wife and unborn child. He even admitted to using the compound.

I hate to say it, but the studies said marijuana was bad for years and look at the doctors coming out now with a change in their views. It all depends on who is paying for the study.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Facts:

inhaling solvent vapors is harmful to the health of humans
traction compounds accelerates tire and foam wear
the last one increases the month to month costs of racing
many racers (including paid pros) choose not to participate at some race venues based on traction compound use alone
to the first one, there's a lot of things out in the world already that isn't safe to breathe, and way to many to list.
as for tires wearing faster...I've run Sticky Kicks Blue and White Sauce on my Panther Clay slick tires and the wear is actually less if not the same as if I wasn't using sauce. overall costs, I spend less on tires than I do for ESC's. (have had 3 die on me in the last two weeks).
and even if there was a ban in place that still wouldn't stop people from using it. it would only stop people from using it openly.
And I haven't been a member of ROAR for over 30 years. ROAR is a joke.

Last edited by MDOlds1; 02-28-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added to posting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.