Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***Best Short Course For Starters***

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
starting with a slower motor is a good idea.

However, durability is still durability. a vehicle based on a 1/8 platform going the same speed as one based on teh various 1/10 2wd SCT platforms will be more durable.

What I did for my daughter was to drop the amount of power she had available on hand. i limited her EPA for throttle to like 60% .

Here is a vid of her novice Amain:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqKSNezn1U

she was using the Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro ESC and the Hobbywing 4000Kv 550ish motor, the one with the silver rings. Pretty much same setup as I used at one point till going Viper for ESC.
This may be a little off topic, but how did you limit the EPA to 60% with the ESC? Did you change it on the controller after the initial set up for the esc? I ask because you have to have EPA & ATV set at 100 when setting up the ESC. I have a Futaba PLS with HW SCT PRO and been wanting to do this while I learn to drive. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fegbri46
This may be a little off topic, but how did you limit the EPA to 60% with the ESC? Did you change it on the controller after the initial set up for the esc? I ask because you have to have EPA & ATV set at 100 when setting up the ESC. I have a Futaba PLS with HW SCT PRO and been wanting to do this while I learn to drive. Thanks in advance.
I limited it on the radio.

Set it up a normal 100% when you configure the radio to the ESC.

Then, after that, just turn it down for the forward range to 60% or whatever feels good to you and check temps when you drive it.

that is pretty much what I did for my daughter and it gave her the level of power she was comfortable with and is easy to "turn up".
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Then, after that, just turn it down for the forward range to 60% or whatever feels good to you and check temps when you drive it.

that is pretty much what I did for my daughter and it gave her the level of power she was comfortable with and is easy to "turn up".
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I set my 6 year old Daughter loose with a 22sct with a 17.5 at 70%. She hits everything on the track(sometimes twice in the same lap) and keeps going. The only thing that she has problems with is ball cups popping off the steering and body cracks. I charge it, get it ready and walk away I can't watch her crash into everything but she is getting better and she likes it.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I totally agree with the previous posts that race trucks like the Tekno or the Losi are much stronger cars than the Slash. I used to have a mini erevo and it broke every time I drove it and i ended up spending around $1,000 on parts fixing it all the time when the car only costs $300. While the scte or sct410 is $500 but you will spend way less on parts. But the question is what is the best sc that is a TANK for a 10 year old. Yes the Tekno and Losi and Durango are all good trucks but for a 10 year old I think money wise a slash would be the best option. But if money is not an issue a scte or a sct410 would be a great platform. I agree with the previous posts about putting a nice brushless in the truck and turning the throttle down this is a great option and it provides the extra power once the drivers skills are improved. Being that it is hard to find a novice class i would consider having a brushless if you go with the slash.
Hope this helps