Wiki Posts
Search

B4 setup tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default B4 setup tips

hi, i race on a hard packed indoor dirt track and i need help getting my B4 set up. it is always really loose and i spin out almost every turn unless i baby it, any one who drives it is amazed at how well i can drive it considering how bad it is. i race it in 19t.

i would really appreciate it if you can give me a setup... and dont give me a link to teamassosiated.com for their setups.

thanks alot
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Where do you spin? Mid corner or on the exit?

Check all your droops (as much as you can on a B4) and shock lengths & rebounds etc. Go back to kit setting completely and take it from there.

When I got my B4 FT, I was a whole lap quicker than with my previous car, a Losi XXX-BK2.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try this one..

It may help, it may not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B4 Baden.pdf (272.2 KB, 1040 views)
Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Can you attach your setup?

Here are my suggestions in the order that you should try them.
Make sure you are using the same tires as the fast guys. (judging by your posts, I assume that you already do this...)
Make sure that your slipper is properly tuned. I've seen this problem on some cars at my track.
Move the battery to the rear.
Shorten Rear camberlinks, by either moving the ball screw, or removing washer from under neath the ball.
Lengthen your front camber links, by either moving the hole, or adding washers under the ball.
Standup the shocks
adjust camber
Put stiffer springs on

Also, try and look at some of the setups of the fast guys at your track. While I don't copy their setup, as every person drives differently, I generally try and see if a specific change will help my car in a problem area.

I don't run on the same type of track as you, but these are the changes I would look into making if I were to showup at a track like you described.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

www.rc10b4.com

Go to a thread called Charlie Perez's B4 set-up. Ask him and he'll hook you up.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OldSkool
Try this one..

It may help, it may not.
sorry to nit pick you, but in the comments section of you set up you wrote: "Car was very smooth through corners and over jumps. Add 1/4oz(7grams) of weight on front to keep nose down over jumps & to give better turn in."

Adding weight to the front should increase on-power steering and slightly mellow turn-in... no?

I'm not nocking the setup...just want to put in my .02 on that particular adjustment. Good luck racing guys.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A jconcepts Illuzion S/L will help the overall stability of the car. Also their wings are a good tuning option.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travymoto1
sorry to nit pick you, but in the comments section of you set up you wrote: "Car was very smooth through corners and over jumps. Add 1/4oz(7grams) of weight on front to keep nose down over jumps & to give better turn in."

Adding weight to the front should increase on-power steering and slightly mellow turn-in... no?

I'm not nocking the setup...just want to put in my .02 on that particular adjustment. Good luck racing guys.
This was a setup 2 mates and I came up with for our track, I don't run a B4 any more (BK2 now), from what I remember the 7 grams of weight was more for keeping the nose down, ie more weight transfered to the front tyres.

On power steering would come from the front not lifting (less weight transfering to the rear of the car.)

I back off in corners alot earlier than others as to get the car balanced for the apex.This comes from racing back on gravel tracks on Trinity tyres = Slippery!!..
My friend drives the new "on power way" as his first car was a B4.

I hate a direct feeling car, this setup was really easy to drive, and fast at the time to boot , but our track surface has changed now.
So this set up would differ some what now.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Remember every one drives differently, so setups can work for some but not for others.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

If you post a discription of the dirt you run on(more than hard packed, more like a clay top soil mix with a slight hint of sand) along with your current set-up, it would make it a lot easier to give you suggestions on what to do to gain the traction where you want it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the help, as for the surface... i really cant explain in too much detail. ive never checked out the compund that well. there isnt sand, its just dirt that is packed down and that is hose down with water every night. if there are any locals i race a DIRT BURNERS in commerce
Old 07-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Dirt burners is a hardpack track that gets slick if you get off the line. I've raced there a couple times. It doesn't really get dusty just slick off the line. It's about as close to blue groove here as they get. I've never run electric there only nitro and I know everybody was using taper pins that were worn. They even made there own 1/8 scale taper pins out of truck tires. Now what the equivalent buggy tire would be I have no idea.

How much racing have you done? I'd say maybe go up a tooth on the pinion to tame it down a bit. Also I would think the post above about lengthening the front cambers and shortening the back would be backwards if he's trying to gain traction in the rear. Not to mention you should try one first then the other.

Softer rear spring may help. Could be lots of things. You'd need to post your setup for someone to really have an idea what to change. If I were you I'd go ask this question at the rcpimp.com website. That's the michigan racers website and there are a ton of guys there that race at dirtburners regularly. Good luck to ya. You should look up the pheasant run track in Holly michigan. They'll be racing on July 31. One of the very best off road tracks in michigan. A bunch of the saginaw guys should be going this month also. PM me if you want directions or an address.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Also I would think the post above about lengthening the front cambers and shortening the back would be backwards if he's trying to gain traction in the rear. Not to mention you should try one first then the other.
Going by various setup guides. Both of them state that a shorter rear link will stabalize exit steering so that the rear will not slide out.

Lengthing the front will give more steering on entry, and less on exit, but if his track is blue groove, he'll want a lot of entry steering, to hold the inside line.

The online one that I referenced is http://users.pandora.be/elvo/ (Goto Buggy adjustments.) I would suggest printing this off as well. It's a great setup guide for any car.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

dado,

i have a setup for ya i can get by monday to ya on here that most of the fast guys ran, al horne(no longer ae) cerisi(no longer ae) mittle, and jonsey.

what setup you running now.....
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

I run the car with Billy Eastions winning set-up in 2003 at clearwater where he won the nationals(?), it's by far the best set-up to me. Give that a shot if you have a driving style of lots of steering. This set-up is definately not for the driver who likes lots of push steer.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vic0280
dado,

i have a setup for ya i can get by monday to ya on here that most of the fast guys ran, al horne(no longer ae) cerisi(no longer ae) mittle, and jonsey.

what setup you running now.....
That's the setup I'd run. Those guys are some of the best that run dirtburners and run there alot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.