Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8-Scale Buggy Shootout >

1/8-Scale Buggy Shootout

1/8-Scale Buggy Shootout

Old 08-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If a 1mm sway bar change makes that big of a difference in handling, a car like that will be almost impossible to keep dialed in to a racetrack. Off-road tracks change thoughout the day and even corner to corner will be different. What you are saying is the car must be setup to handle great in certain parts of the track and like garbage in other parts. To be honest that is what I have heard about the TTR car.

The key to going fast in 1/8 is consistency. The TTR does not have that yet. I hear the flat chassis helps a lot. Around the midwest most people have given up on the car and are switching back to their old brands or the Jammin'.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
If a 1mm sway bar change makes that big of a difference in handling, a car like that will be almost impossible to keep dialed in to a racetrack. Off-road tracks change thoughout the day and even corner to corner will be different. What you are saying is the car must be setup to handle great in certain parts of the track and like garbage in other parts. To be honest that is what I have heard about the TTR car.

The key to going fast in 1/8 is consistency. The TTR does not have that yet. I hear the flat chassis helps a lot. Around the midwest most people have given up on the car and are switching back to their old brands or the Jammin'.
I just bought the magazine and read the article and that's what they say. The chassis is probably too stiff. Do you think this is the main reason why the car isn't doing as well as it can?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default In my case...

Personally...I think a lot of the "hype" on the stock chassis is in people's heads. I do agree, it is very sensitive to set up changes...more so than most.However, I also think that a good driver can change his line, or style to compensate as the track changes. Now in my case....I know Im not R.Saxton....but I feel I am a good driver. I have run consistent 40 second laps at my track, which is slightly off pace...but consistent none the less.The fast guys at my track are running consistent 38-39s. Now lemme get on a soap box. I want to make myself clear here. I did not ask for people's opinions. I know all about the talk that has been said. What I am looking for is help. Anyone that has experience with the TTR and can offer set up ideas that might help me be a little faster. FYI, I run at Wolcott Hobbies in CT, most Im sure, have heard or maybe even run here so Im guessing you may know what this track is like. My current basic set up is as follows....
Front
5000 Diff
45 Shock with both balls in piston, TTR soft Blue spring
King Headz Tower, upper middle hole, lower arm, outside hole.
Ride Height, bones level
2 D -Camber...eccentric bushing to the inside, top plate to the outside..."More camber adjustment" according to the manual. Im not really sure how this affects camber...aside maybe from camber gain, which in essence are different.Would love a "laymen's" term description of exactly what this is and how it affects the buggy.
Soft 2.5 Silver Sway bar
Caster...2mm in front and 2mm in back of the arm( Im not sure what "degree" this equals
Anti squat, FF-1, which according to manual = 6 Degrees
Ackerman, Rear hole
Unsure of Toe, as Ive never had it on a gauge, though it is as close I can eye it, slightly positive. P.S-if anyone local has a set up station I can borrow...would greatly appreciate it.
Track is narrow as possible...4.5mm on the lower PB measured between arm and PB block when the arms are at ride height.

Center Diff 7000
48 Spur-14 CB

Rear
Diff 5000
40 shock with one ball in piston,stock Red spring
Currently, I am running doubled together, the stock silver tower and TTRs aftermarket red tower. I had a KHZ piece, but it got hammered last w/end...On a side note, Kudos to KHZ...they plan to ship a new piece out to me. And also, their response to my email came on a Sunday morning...I would't have expected to hear anything til midweek.Anyhoo...Shock locations...Upper second from inside on tower and outer on arm.
Ride Height, arms level
2 D -Camber
No Sway
3 D Toe mount
Antisquat = RF0 mount
Camber links...outside 2nd from top on tower...inside, top on hub.
Wheel Base, neutral...3mm to front- 2mm to rear of hub
I think that pretty much covers it. If I missed something feel free to lemme know. All in all, this provides what I feel to be a very easy to drive, mostly neutral buggy.
K.O PDS 2344 on steering.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

The TTR flat chassis seemed to help in the bumps. All of the TTR drivers I have talked to liked it better.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default New Set Up....

Ok...I have been doin a lot of testing lately.All in all, my S3 is much better. I also got taken to shock building school today :P...Apparently, everything I have been doing for years was totally wrong, lol. One HUGE! problem I have had all summer long has been the shocks. They leak like a sive. Well...I ran about two tanks on the shocks that my LHS worker built, and so far they look great.There isnt a big handling difference, but the car does land "softer" and seems to transition better.As far as setup...I have more that Id like to do...the following is what I have changed from my previous post.
Center diff from 7k to 5k
Rear Camber Links from Oustide 2nd from top on tower/ Inside Top on hub to
Inside 3rd from top on tower/ Outside Top on hub
Shortened Wheel base by rear clips....moved hub all the way forward.
40 Wt oil all around in shocks.

Im a lot more happy...but more to come. Im thinking drop rear diff to 3k.
Also, I may be nuts...but I really dont think I like this K.O servo Im using. I mean, it is powerful at 180 oz...but slow?...at .14 seconds. I place the question mark there, to emphasize that I am not sure if I am correct in assuming that this servo is slow. I know the rating I typed is correct. It just seems slower than I would have expected. Also....it doesn't seem to have as much throw. Think Imma Ebay it soon....not sure.
Lastly...I have heard about Titan Tech's flat chassis...and maybe for next summer I will try it out if I still race this buggy. One problem with now, is that as far as I can see, AMain is the only one who has them, and they are currently out of stock. Also, there's maybe 8-10 weeks left in our outdoor racing season...so it probably isn't worth trying it now. Thanks though, WindellMC. Id still love to hear some feedback on set up stuff.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

nice read and awesome video, but it really doesnt tell us anything other than what the drivers personal preference is... it shouldnt be used to say the K is better than the Jammin and the Jammin is better than the Mugen.... but i am guessing alot of people will think the 777 is the best car going around....

thats funny coz from alot of peoples who change from the k3 to the 777 have gone SLOWER with the 777
Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

noobie - Did you check out the last page in the article where they rate everything and post lap times for each driver and each buggy? They came up with those rankings based on a composite numerical score from several categories. If you go to the track, those 3 cars pretty much dominate with a few Xrays and K2/K3s showing up now and then. It is too bad the SP2 was not ready for the article. You would have seen a very clear #1 then instead of it being so close.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Can you post the setup that you used for the 777 sp1? I just bought one and im looking for a good starting point.

Thanks Mike Morrow
Old 08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

777 is a great car...there are a few ttr guys around here and they are all switching back to what they used to run, they went from being the top drivers in the NW to not even making the show. one guy did have the flat chassis and he said that it was a lot better but they take a lot of tweeking
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

noobie - Did you check out the last page in the article where they rate everything and post lap times for each driver and each buggy? They came up with those rankings based on a composite numerical score from several categories. If you go to the track, those 3 cars pretty much dominate with a few Xrays and K2/K3s showing up now and then. It is too bad the SP2 was not ready for the article. You would have seen a very clear #1 then instead of it being so close.

well over here its mugen pretty much dominates.... they also have the best drivers also....

kyosho - with halk of the people running 777 switch from theire k2/k3 and are now much slower.... i know they are much slower coz they tell me so and coz i was very competitve with them previosly but now they change over to 777 i am so much faster than them....
Old 08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
777 is a great car...there are a few ttr guys around here and they are all switching back to what they used to run, they went from being the top drivers in the NW to not even making the show. one guy did have the flat chassis and he said that it was a lot better but they take a lot of tweeking
I've been seeing with the S3... either everyone loves it or they hate it.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Wait until you guys see the SP2.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Wait until you guys see the SP2.
fap fap fap fap

Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know how you can say the 777 isn't as good as the K2 or K3!! At first alot of people were running slower because the car is more setup sensitive. Once you take the time to set up the MP777 properly it is way faster than the previous models. I never thought I would like the 777 the first week I had it but after tuning it for a couple of weeks, I am faster with it than my K3. So much faster that I never thought I would run anything other than my SP1.

Of course that all changed when I converted my SP1 to the SP2 last week. The SP2 is faster right out of the gate and made me instantly faster when I converted from the MP1.

I would highly recommend the SP2 over the others because to date it is the fastest car I have ever run and I've only been running it for 2 weeks now.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Of course that all changed when I converted my SP1 to the SP2 last week. The SP2 is faster right out of the gate and made me instantly faster when I converted from the MP1.

I would highly recommend the SP2 over the others because to date it is the fastest car I have ever run and I've only been running it for 2 weeks now.
thats what everyone said about the sp1 and the ttr s3 when they first came out "oh its so fast" "it accelerates better than anything i ever driven" ... i wonder why there are so many near new s3 and sp1 for sale

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.