Wiki Posts
Search

Too Much Sauce!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Too Much Sauce!!!

Barcode golds now have way too much slop between tire and foam. Heard that you can add tape to the wheel and take up the slack. Tape supposed to go between wheel and foam. Wondering if the probable increase in tire diameter will cause problems with my sct set up or would it be a matter of just adjusting the ride height. If anyone has done this, let me know if it works. I have boiled off tires to save wheels with great success but never to save tires and/or foams. Also would like to know what type of tape and dimensions used. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

why not just get larger foams? tape will add rotating mass.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

already using aka wides.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If what I am understanding from your post is that sauce'n the tires broke down the foams so they're a loose fit in the tire now?
Tape would fill in the gap I guess but will probably just become a unbalanced mess in there and like panda said heavy.

If that's correct and you have life left in the wheels and tires, boil them, replace the foams and glue them back up and vent the wheels, not the tires on the next set.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

boiling or acetone.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Funny story...first time boiling i was doing a set of buggy tires. I thought the glue was far bough gone that i could pull the last ¼ inch off...nope. Pulled, and it ripped the tire a good 3 inches. Whoopsies.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, gotta them simmer for a good 30 min... short of that and some spots are stubborn.
Also the longer they go the less glue seems to be left over.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
boiling or acetone.
Acetone will ruin Barcode gold compound tires (BTDT). I have used it lots of time for harder compound tires, but for the soft compounds the tire will shrink and harden. I ruined a brand new set this way I mounted them on new wheels and they looked like a low profile racing slick, and really hard. I started a thread a while back about this and I believe this is the common outcome with gold compound tires with acetone.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 AM
Tech Addict

Boiling worked super for me. We were tossing an old crock pot so I removed the ceramic and filled the metal pot with boiling water from a tea kettle. Put in the tires for just under 2 hours and off they came. The pot only simmers and does not boil.
Wondering if the sauce affected the foams or the tires or both. I also have beams that I cut down(removed about an eighth of an inch of tire and then re-regluing) before mounting and no problem. Since I used the same type foams on both the beams and the barcodes, I thought it was the tire that is causing the problem.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Champion

It's possible that too much sauce made the tires expand. There are standard fluid swell tests for rubber materials with various fluids, solvents, oils, even water. Depending on the rubber formulation it's not unusual to see 50~100% volume swell.

The time of exposure is important, and temperature.

Side note, it's a standard rite of passage-initiation for newbies in the rubber biz, blow one of their parts up with solvent to freak them out. Or at least so I've heard.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

/\ agreed. Over on the onroad side with VTA tires a "broken in" set of tires will swell up a good 20-30% (we use paragon black can as sauce). We run open cell foams and they tend to expand as well.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Without seeing them in person, it's impossible to know exactly what happened, but I'd bet good money your foams have just broken down to nothing. If that's the case, just replace the foams.

You can cut the tire open right along the middle of the sidewall (inside), peel the tire open, take out old foam, put in new foam, wrap the tire back around, and glue it together with CA. Once dry, dremel off the excess glue with a sanding wheel. Check for tiny holes you miss, re-glue those spots, let dry, and dremel off the excess again.

What kind of foam are you running, and how long have you been running that set?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

If it turns out to be the tires, I think I will do what I do to the beams. Wonder why I did not think of that before? Dah!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So boiling the tires is ok for Gold compound? i have a set of ebuggy barcodes that the tires are perfect condition but the rims have a few cracks and the foams have gone to crap (3 race days and no sauce) would love to reuse the tires and junk the foams and rims. Little scared of cutting the side wall (I have never been good at this) plus I think ebuggy has way to much HP and would blow the new glue bead apart.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

I have boiled gold compound tires off a few times, tires came out fine.
Boil for 30 min, longer if you want. Seems the longer they go the more glue will release... probably to a point.
There will be little to no glue on the rims but there may be some left on the tires. Get some CA debonder and flip the tire inside out and sit the bead in a shallow dish and let it soak for a while. Comes out like new.
Did a couple short clips on it here
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.