recommend me a charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default recommend me a charger

hi. i am looking for a decent charger.

features i want are

* ability to charge multiple packs at the same time
* even though i dont have Li-Po's they may become standard later on i would prefer a charger that does them.
* dishcarge function? do i need to discharge batteries?

i was looking into this dynamite charger Vision Peak Ultra AC/DC Charger

i am wanting to get into electric racing

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4053

Anyone recommend me a good charger?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

i would not get that charger from my experience it isn't that good. if you want to be able to charge multipile packs at once you should get the duratrax twin peak.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXG87&P=ML but if you want a good charger i would get like the duratrax ice cuz it is one of the nicest chargers out there but you would need to buy a power suply for it. it only does one pack at a time though.

in terms of the duel pack part there is NO charger that will do 2 packs and do lipo's
Old 07-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

You might wanna check out the MRC 969 super brain, the Duratrax ICE charger looks really nice as well
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

If you want a charger that will charge every kind of battery out there, the GP Triton is the one to look at. It requires an outboard power supply, but any good charger will. In order to charge 2 6 cell packs you will need at least 15 volts and any built in transformer that puts out that kind of voltage is going to get very hot. A good charger and a cheap charger are mutually exclusive, you can have good or you can have cheap, but you cannot have both in the same unit.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

does 969 superbrain do lipo's. i seen on some product description say it does and some does'nt say it does.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

well according to the instructions it's suppose to be able to charge lipo batteries but I've heard that it doesn't do that to well. I'm not sure if its because you just have to keep a close watch on it or because it just wasn't designed to charge lipos. but it does charge 2 batteries at the same time.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

ok. it seems 2 batteries at same time is something that not many can do. so it seems i will have to drop from my list of wants.

i came across this... but not many people have in stock

Multiplex LN-5014 Multi-Charger

The LN-5014 will safely charge and discharge all Lithium, NiCd, NiMH and Lead-Acid battery packs and cells. An easy to read, Illuminated digital LCD screen displays battery type, charge/ discharge, mAh, voltage and charging time, enhancing the charging experience. To insure proper use, the LCD screen will also display error messages for out-of range input voltage, incorrect connection or reversed polarity, poor battery condition and internal errors. This easy to use charger, with its 4 button control panel and logical menus, is compact and simple to transport to the flying field or track

Old 07-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

sounds alright... but in my opinion I would still probably go with the triton, the ice or the super brain. The reason I got the super brain was because it was a little cheaper than the rest and because it already came with a power supply. But from what i hear the triton and the ice are really great chargers. I think the triton and the ice can charger lipos properly. think of this as an investment since you'll be using it a lot and since you can also charge your car battery with it
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The LRP Pulsar 2 or the ICE
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

There are several chargers that claim to be able to charge lithium based cells and can do it, but have no effective auto cutoff for these cells. This is only important if you don't mind risking burning down your house if you forget you have them on charge.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

A good charger that I like is the Dynamite Twin Peak. It is a peak detection charger that does 2 batteries at once, can charge 1-7 cells on each pack, and an automatic charge rate. If you are using Nimh batterys you dont need to worry about discharging because the batteries dont have cell memory like nicds. This charger is a good dual output charger for a fairly inexpensive price, if you wanted to spend a little bit more i would go with the suprebrain969 maid by MRC. Now if you wanted to go all out, go with the Futaba CDR 5000. This is a top of the line charger, for the top of the line price. More information on the twin peak is at http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/C...s/Default.aspx
More information on the Superbrain is at http://www.modelrectifier.com/produc...gers/index.asp
and more information on the CDR 5000 is at http://www.futabarc.com/batteries/futm4170.html
I hope I could help