Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving carpet racing to US

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think turf or carpet would be a lot of fun. One of my local tracks has so much traction that it might as well be paved, but the racers at that track are faster because of it. I am not as good there as I am at the other tracks in the region because the high traction puts a much higher emphasis on running clean AND fast, whereas with lower traction surfaces clean, consistent lines are all you need to be an A main contender. I will say that I absolutely love running on the high bite tracks for that reason - I'm ecstatic to make the A, but every time I get whooped down in Tacoma I bring home some lessons that make me faster everywhere else.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Raced both. I love both but prefer carpet...

Some reasons not mentioned that I think make carpet off road great are

1. New layouts weekly!!!
2. You can really learn car tuning on carpet... small setup changes are felt.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
You're kidding, right? Well I guess we have a difference in opinion. I hope that's ok with you. But I see a big "realism" difference between racing offroad vehicles on dirt and carpet.

I hope my opinion doesn't offend anyone. I don't give a *** what surface anyone races they're toy car on. Have at it.
No, I'm not kidding. I suppose then that on-road cars shouldn't be running on carpet either, since that isn't "realistic"?... nor should we be running on hard packed clay because full sized off-road cars certainly never run on a track that is 100% hard packed clay either...

Are you really comparing these cars to their closest full size counter parts, and suggesting that it is only right if we race on surfaces that the full size cars race on? Hilarious!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It takes a lot of skill to run inches off the board in every turn. I think the amount of skill needed to be fast on dirt or carpet is equal.
It doesn't take much skill on carpet to just pin it coming out of a turn. Carpet would be way more of a batter/motor/esc game.
Which is it? Let me know when you make up your mind.

I hope my opinion doesn't offend anyone. I don't give a *** what surface anyone races they're toy car on. Have at it.
Then why does it matter so much to you?

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape whenever carpet gets mentioned with off-road RC. Some people in my area got downright mad that someone suggested an indoor offroad carpet track in my area. People were literally furious.
Because they're Negative Nelly's like Tommygun1 and predu. They just need to complain about something for no reason. Plenty of people like that out in the world. Best way to handle 'em is poke 'em with a stick and laugh as they get all bent out of shape Then you just ignore them after you've had a good laugh.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nick, what I said is exactly what I mean. Just because I don't think it takes as much skill to pin it out of a turn on carpet doesn't mean I think it doesn't take skill to be fast. The lack of traction on acceleration on dirt is just something I like. It can get frustrating but is also rewarding when it all comes together.

The carpet tracks I have seen/raced on all seem small in comparison to the dirt tracks. Also, the borders/pipe were small where trucks can somewhat easily end up in another lane going the wrong direction. I broke a chassis from someone jumping on the straght last year. Maybe if they were more open/flowing and better borders I would be more interested in them. I dunno.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Initiate

This post is interesting to the fact you have two kinds of arugements the people who hate it and would quit racing and the people who would give it a try or enjoy it already. but i see that both people have multiple tracks located near there homes.

I live 3027km from the closest track. Think about that before you carry on with insignificant comments about the surface of a track. I would love anything to race on and I couldn't care what surface it was.

This whole post could have been better worked with contrutive comments on the pros/cons of racing on carpet competed to dirt.

The only real con I can see is its not dirt so you can't really call it "traditional offroad" but it is still racing and you still have to be good to be fast. So in your areas that have a plentiful amount of tracks why not give people the choice. Then you can make up your own minds on if carpet or dirt is for you. But give everyone the choices, don't be so close minded on differents things.

This doesn't target anyone specifically it's just am jeoulous of you guys that have so many areas to race.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I like racing on carpet. I like racing on dirt. I like racing. If you don't want to have a good time at a track because it's not dirt, then most people probably won't mind you not showing up anyway.
+2

Racing on high traction requires a different set of skill. Your skills will become better overall if you experience both.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for the guys that think carpet racing equals closer racing not true balogna if those same guys raced on the dirt it will more than likely be just as close. i race on both carpet and dirt and love dirt much better.and set up and tire is still just as important. so if you suck on dirt you will feel better on carpet but still suck and vice versa
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Funny how all that knock it have never tried it. Also funny how the track I race on is VERY low grip. There is just as much tuning and driving skills as there is on dirt.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have only raced on carpet once, but If we had a carpet track close by I'd do some 1/10 indoor racing in the winter. It's a lot of fun and not as easy as it looks.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
Funny how all that knock it have never tried it. Also funny how the track I race on is VERY low grip. There is just as much tuning and driving skills as there is on dirt.
Agree. Its as if some "off road driver code" is being broken.. lol

I have tried it, and like it. Not saying i like it as much as indoor packed dirt, but having more variety is a good thing...

(Also, if someone wants to start an indoor track with minimal effort and cost, it makes the barriers of entry cheaper...)

Which is especially good for seasonal climates that require indoor facilities...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

carpet racing for offroad isn't always super smooth. ours is really bumpy and it has some bigger jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dv5LupIb8

we have dirt inside and carpet outside! Best of Both worlds!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silveraider14
carpet racing for offroad isn't always super smooth. ours is really bumpy and it has some bigger jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dv5LupIb8

we have dirt inside and carpet outside! Best of Both worlds!
Cool track... but that double in the middle would drive me bananas!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Cool track... but that double in the middle would drive me bananas!!!
ooo it did! lol but what got me all the time was that slippery section after that double.

cant wait to see what the layout will be like this year! lol
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave H
The carpet tracks can be trickier for traction than it might first appear. Frequently the jumps, perhaps some transitions, are wood and can be rather challenging. Less consistent than many of the indoor dirt tracks.

Now I prefer real dirt too, loam and roostertails even, but sometimes in the winter we don't have any choice. It is carpet or quit, so ya suck it up and do what you must for a little fun. Fortunately haven't had to make that choice for a while in my area, we have some indoor tracks that have managed to stay open for a few years.
That is also one advantage to indoor carpet. I live in Michigan as well. One other advantage to carpet w/ jumps is that you don't really need to have a dedicated facility to race.

I race in St. Ignace on occasion and they have the races in the elementary school gym once a month.

It's nice because here up north we don't have enough people to keep an indoor dirt track open week in and out, so being able to race indoors during the winter at all is a plus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.