Hauler bag/tote that can be locked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hauler bag/tote that can be locked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Hauler bag/tote that can be locked?

I've never had anything stolen yet, but I do feel uncomfortable leaving a bag full of expensive RC gear/tools around unlocked. My faith in humanity is medium to low.

That being said, are any of the nice hauler bags and/or totes ones that can be locked when you aren't in the pit area?

Do you trust enough in the other racers and other people to comfortably leave your gear insecure?

I'm not a super paranoid person necessarily... I just like to take precautionary steps when possible to avoid incidents. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use a stanley fat max box for my pit bag that is lockable, but i've never locked mine.
Make friends with the people that sit around you in the pits, or just simply ask them to watch your stuff while you're racing.
I race with a great group and I'm buddies with pretty much everyone. The only time something goes missing is if a buddy borrows a tool and forgets to return it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tweeter79
I use a stanley fat max box for my pit bag that is lockable, but i've never locked mine.
X2 on the Fat Max, huge box with wheels that store a ton of stuff. You can get one at Home Depot for $50 bucks or Canadian tire for our friends north of the boarder. I just got one and I love it, all of my RC stuff fits in one box now.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fat max it makes it so much easier going to the track and also much more secure.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

X 3 on the Stanley Box! I remember having to go back to the car 2-3 times to get all my equipment. Now I have everything organized into one huge box. From the car to the track.

One thing to keep in mind is that it can get heavy.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 5errated
I've never had anything stolen yet, but Do you trust enough in the other racers and other people to comfortably leave your gear insecure.
Yes...I race at two tracks that are shooting distance from Detroit and one that is just out side of Flint. Last I checked both cities were top 10 for crime, or murder. I have no problem leaving my pits to go race.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Another bonus of the Stanley box is that the wheels on it are bigger than on rc hauler bags. Easier to roll when you're not on pavement or inside.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I never have had anything stolen and the regulars at my local track seem like stand up guys. But you just never know.
I have this fear , so I only bring a minimum amount of stuff to the pit area. I keep most of my stuff locked out of sight the trunk of my car.

What keeps someone from stealing the entire locked box? If thieves want your stuff they will take it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

On the subject of stealing. I was at HRH and was signing up in the hobby shop for a race. My buddy left a temp gun and EDS wrench on the front stairs to go get my credit card and I decided to go with him, with both of us forgetting both items. (Yes HUGE FAIL)

Less than 5 minutes later it as gone. Turns out it was a local racer father/son that stole both items, but fortunately there was a security camera pointed right at the stairs. The shop employees reviewed the tape and we caught them. I got my temp gun back, but my wrench EDS long gone because they said they never took it.

Moral of the story. Keep an eye on your equipment or at least have a track buddy keep an eye on it. The thief can be a racer or even a spectator and some go to extreme measures to steal anything.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

These here work pretty good also. You can even put a couple vehicles inside them.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-37-in...9261/203668066
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Truely i know everyone at the track. I dont trust my stuff outside in the car but i trust my stuff inside at my pit. I understant the concern, but look at it this way. everyone has one and why would soemone steal it. Further more, my track has camera pointed in every direction so if something does come up stolen they just check the cameras. and whoever has done it will alwasy get full chargers. But never has happened before.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

I never had worried about leaving my stuff around at the track. I will go get food and just leave my stuff there. The only thing I have heard of something getting stolen was from some kids that just wondered around the pits and swipe a couple Lipos off one of the pit tables. For the most part everyone looks out for each other I know I do. Heck I had my wallet fall out of my pocket one time while I was getting up to leave and before I even got home someone had called me to let me know. Of course everything was in there also and I had like $60 cash in there.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

interesting!

i'd hope nobody would steal from me, but I'd feel better playing it safe. (though like someone above said, what if they take your whole bag lol)

does the stanley fat max fit a 1/10 SCT?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Since you asked...

It's better to have loved, than never loved at all. It's better to have blind trust and that be what you exude rather than fearful and suspicious. The energy you put out will come back to you. That said, I fully understand being jaded after being cheated on/stolen from. But still, you don't want to be the closed off guy who locks his stuff up every time he takes a piss.

I got back into racing about a year ago and had many of the same thoughts you're having now... and now I really don't ever think about leaving my stuff unattended in the pit. You get to know everybody and everybody looks out for one another. Also, everybody has lots invested in the hobby and is in the same boat.

I do keep my pit very organized and stuff put away that I'm not using... but ultimately, it's just not fun to have to worry all the time.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by testcrashdummy
Since you asked...

It's better to have loved, than never loved at all. It's better to have blind trust and that be what you exude rather than fearful and suspicious. The energy you put out will come back to you. That said, I fully understand being jaded after being cheated on/stolen from. But still, you don't want to be the closed off guy who locks his stuff up every time he takes a piss.

I got back into racing about a year ago and had many of the same thoughts you're having now... and now I really don't ever think about leaving my stuff unattended in the pit. You get to know everybody and everybody looks out for one another. Also, everybody has lots invested in the hobby and is in the same boat.

I do keep my pit very organized and stuff put away that I'm not using... but ultimately, it's just not fun to have to worry all the time.
True, but it's a gamble. I'm not a gambling man. Would take but a second for someone to come up and swipe my $500 radio while I'm taking a leak. I think the better option is to take my wife and have her guard my stuff. Looks less untrustworthy than locking it up with a padlock to walk away for a bio break. Sad thing is that there are a ton of people out there who DO steal stuff. And do other shady things. (like leave your shopping cart (or trolley for across the pond folks) in the middle of the parking lot like the bunch of worthless lazy bastards they are--the number I see do this is shocking, all while putting everyone's hard earned car at risk)

Also, would that stanley fat max fit in the trunk of a subaru BRZ by chance? I have quite a small trunk and I think it might limit my choices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.