Like Tree2Likes

Mid motor 3 vs 4 gears trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

follow-up from my earlier post

" Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars View Post
there is a 4-gear option for the new TLR 22 3.0, there is one driver at track i race who ordered one, i will ask him what his opinion on it today or saturday. reasonably priced

http://www.horizonhobby.com/4-gear-c...30-p-tlr332054 "

this is the track which can be loose to med bite
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14368179-post820.html

i asked the driver (very good driver at our track) his opinion some questions 3 vs 4 gear. he has been running modified
- more forward traction
- steering loss was slight due to car set-up and compensated with tires
- didn't notice any back and forth diving
- car was overall smoother, calmer less punchy
- for 17.5 he would go back to 3-gear
- 3 gear car is more twitchy and unsettled in MOD

there was also a TLR driver (mod) there who was also using a 4-gear, i asked....he said the car is smoother and squares up faster

4 gear may not be for high traction clay, additive dirt tracks, various carpets?

4 gear losi coversion is cheap, also cheap for xray DE version where you just add 1 gear 2 bearings and a pin to existing 3/4 gear box. kyosho's car i think is 4 gear? not sure on AE, incoming yokomo options
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Prophet

I run 3 gear mid motor on my B5m with mod motor on med traction clay wouldn't go back to 4 gear . Made a big difference more rotation dint feel lazy, everything ran cooler more corner speed.

Now I did go to a lower grip indoor track with clay/soil mix and I was hurting for rear bite and had to make a number of changes to get it right . So 4 gear would of been better for sure .
Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On lower grip 4 gear is better than 3. I personally find that if the situation calls for 4 gear, I'd rather just run rear motor 3 gear instead.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
follow-up from my earlier post

" Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars View Post
there is a 4-gear option for the new TLR 22 3.0, there is one driver at track i race who ordered one, i will ask him what his opinion on it today or saturday. reasonably priced

http://www.horizonhobby.com/4-gear-c...30-p-tlr332054 "

this is the track which can be loose to med bite
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14368179-post820.html

i asked the driver (very good driver at our track) his opinion some questions 3 vs 4 gear. he has been running modified
- more forward traction
- steering loss was slight due to car set-up and compensated with tires
- didn't notice any back and forth diving
- car was overall smoother, calmer less punchy
- for 17.5 he would go back to 3-gear
- 3 gear car is more twitchy and unsettled in MOD

there was also a TLR driver (mod) there who was also using a 4-gear, i asked....he said the car is smoother and squares up faster

4 gear may not be for high traction clay, additive dirt tracks, various carpets?

4 gear losi coversion is cheap, also cheap for xray DE version where you just add 1 gear 2 bearings and a pin to existing 3/4 gear box. kyosho's car i think is 4 gear? not sure on AE, incoming yokomo options
Thanks for the follow up!

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I run 3 gear mid motor on my B5m with mod motor on med traction clay wouldn't go back to 4 gear . Made a big difference more rotation dint feel lazy, everything ran cooler more corner speed.

Now I did go to a lower grip indoor track with clay/soil mix and I was hurting for rear bite and had to make a number of changes to get it right . So 4 gear would of been better for sure .
Originally Posted by fredswain
On lower grip 4 gear is better than 3. I personally find that if the situation calls for 4 gear, I'd rather just run rear motor 3 gear instead.
I agree with you both. I run my 22T in RM in a situation when I need a little more rear bite, and my T5M W/3 gear elsewhere.

I wish I had a three gear set up for the 22T MM, then I could use the same brand car and not have an AE and TLR parts bin to carry when I don't know what truck I will be running.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

What about the new tlr 3 gear set up? Will this just got the 22 2.0's?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

I put a 3 gear in my tlr22 and hated it. The great thing about the 22 was the way you could balance the car with the throttle. With the 3 gear the car just felt dull and my laptimes blew out. The car was much more likely to flip when landing jumps also. On our high grip carpet track i muuuuuuch preferred the 4gear.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

With a 3-gear, it seems like anti-squat angle is more important. Smooth, low-med grip track, 0 degrees. Bumpy, med-high grip track 2 degrees. 1 degree for a typical medium grip track.