Wiki Posts
Search

DEX410V4 and the 22-4 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default DEX410V4 and the 22-4 ?'s

Ok I have gone back and forth on what to get here. I am new to racing and was just going to go with a 2wd buggy but the track where I will be racing is starting to get more people getting the 4wd buggy.
So which wheeler to go with. The track is a small smooth clay indoor track. the shop there only sells TLR, AE, and durango. So I will only want to buy one of those brands to support the track even though the XB4 and D413 looks interesting.
My BIG question is what is the difference to gear or ball diffs , and the belt drive or universal drive system. Which one would do better on a small indoor clay track?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Gear diffs are a lot less maintainence. They are more of a set and let be, Wheras a ball diff will need readjusting. This can be a good thing though, it is easy to make changes.

The difference between belt and shaft is just that, belt and shaft. Shafts are more "reliable" there is less to go wrong with them. Shafts feel more "instant" where as the power is more direct feeling, and belts can feel more "springy" so that there is a tiny lapse where the belt it stretching. It is very very minimal though.

Neither car is "better" it comes down to personal preference of which you will feel more comfortable with. If you have never raced, I would start with 2wd. With a 2wd I feel like you will develope better driving skills, Wheras a 4wd you can just power out of situations.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I agree. Start with 2wd. But if you really want a 4wd the 3 you mentioned are all solid cars. I dont think you will get anybody here to agree on one over the other. If you have friends that race maybe get what they have so they can help you out.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help so far!
I guess my thought on starting with the 4wd is that it is such a new class at the track and there are only 5 people with them and it may not be as competitive. 2wd is cheaper though...
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan1942
Thanks for the help so far!
I guess my thought on starting with the 4wd is that it is such a new class at the track and there are only 5 people with them and it may not be as competitive. 2wd is cheaper though...
Those people are probably experienced racers. Try with 2wd, then if the class really takes off, then go to 4wd.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Those people are probably experienced racers. Try with 2wd, then if the class really takes off, then go to 4wd.
+1
The guys running wheeler class are probably on the faster end of the spectrum at your track.
The wheeler class is fast and fun but it can put you into a pipe or wall at a higher rate of speed than just about any vehicle out there and that's why you hear so much about the 4x buggy class being so fragile. Not sure their more fragile but they are hitting things at a higher rate of speed.

I run a B44 and love it, have raced with a few durangos and they handle very well. Haven't been on track with the 22-4 yet but I'm sure it will be fast and competitive.
The Durango does look easier to work on but its probably not a huge difference. A tear down maintenance session may be 2 hours with one and 2.5 hours with another (or whatever), if your sitting down to wrench you probably won't notice the difference.
Gear diff vs. ball diff maintenance as said is a factor, if you don't want to spend a lot of time keeping your buggy in racing form, gear diff is for you. If you don't mind a more frequent maintenance schedule, ball diff does handle better in general and is easily adjusted in the pits.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome thanks everyone for the help!
Is it that 4wd would easier to control but 2wd will help me be more technical of a driver and better in the long run?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

yes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dan1942
Ok I have gone back and forth on what to get here. I am new to racing and was just going to go with a 2wd buggy but the track where I will be racing is starting to get more people getting the 4wd buggy.
So which wheeler to go with. The track is a small smooth clay indoor track. the shop there only sells TLR, AE, and durango. So I will only want to buy one of those brands to support the track even though the XB4 and D413 looks interesting.
My BIG question is what is the difference to gear or ball diffs , and the belt drive or universal drive system. Which one would do better on a small indoor clay track?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Gear vs ball in 4WD. Gear is of course less maintenance, and it can plant the power down without slipping. Adjustments require you to take out the diff. Ball diff can be adjusted quickly outside the car, but it requires more maintenance, and if you are new to ball diffs, you can easily over tighten or make it too loose so it slips and damages the balls.

Belt or Shaft. Shaft instantaneous response, but you also could get a slight chassis torque effect on acceleration. Belt you can feel a micro second delay from throttle, but it accelerates straight.. No side torque on the chassis. On slippery tracks belts seem to be smoother but stuff can get caught inside the belt and end your race if the track is dusty and rocky.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

22-4 belt drive completely sealed drive train. Very easy to drive and very smooth. I have driven both belt and shaft and I prefer belt drive, its not snappy but smooth on the throttle and I think thats what beginers need if you start out in 4WD buggy. JMO
Old 02-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

At the end of the day, they are all good cars. Its great that your shop supports 3 good brands. Doesn't matter which one you choose.

Are you a smooth driver or aggressive driver? Do you like a ultra quiet car or one that you can hear your throttle. I agree the belt is smoother to drive. Shaft is more aggressive on throttle.
Do you like the ease of external adjustability of a ball diff vs having to take the diff out to change the settings? The maintenance on a ball diff vs not worrying about maintenance of gear diff? Perhaps you can try a few of the cars (that are well setup of course)

My word of advice, go with a brand that you can get THE MOST help with from the fast guys at your track.

And.... if they are all helpful... well - lets see - choose which body shell you like best LOL.