Wiki Posts
Search

running shorty lips for SCT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default running shorty lips for SCT

i'm a big believer in SMC lipos. the value and punch that the race-forumula 2S shorty puts out is incredible.

how come you see folks primarily running non-shorties for SCT? is it a matter of run time or power draw that you want a higher mAh pack?

i understand that SCT 4x4 (i run a tekno) are power hogs, but in a 5min race or relaxed ~10min session, i typically only burn about 3500-3800mAh. a 4600mAh 70C battery should be fine (as long as LVC is set at 3.4v/cell), no?

i like running shorties because i can redistribute weight far easier.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I see that at the local track, they run shortys in stock sct, makes since to me, since they need the weight reduction, I have mod sc and run the stick pack in it cause it feels more planted with the heavier lipo, the shorty makes it feel squirmy!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I see that at the local track, they run shortys in stock sct, makes since to me, since they need the weight reduction, I have mod sc and run the stick pack in it cause it feels more planted with the heavier lipo, the shorty makes it feel squirmy!
thanks for your thoughts...

it just sounds counter-intuitive to me. due to the weighty-er SCTs in general, aren't they already "planted" just due to weight differences between SCTs vs. buggies.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you set your suspension up to work well at a certain weight , and then remove a lot of weight , your set up will be over dampened. That in turn will make the truck feel less stable. If you are going to run a light weight pack , set up for that weight and you wont see any problems.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the main reason people run regular size Lipos has to do with weight. Seems now though that most guys are using shorties. I think that has to do in fact that most of the newer SC trucks are heavier then they use to be. In my Losi xxxsct (that thing is super light)I run a shorty all the way forward with a 3oz weight in the rear and it handles/jumps awesome.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run both depending on track conditions. I also have switched to SMC batteries and am equally impressed. The shorty gives a weight reduction and more options to move the battery around.

I run a converted SC10.2 with a 8.5.

With either battery set-up I run 3 oz behind the battery. If I run the shorty (and for me would mean great traction) I run it almost all the way forward. If I run the full size it is because traction is less or there has been a recent track change and it hasn't come in yet.

The shorty definately helps the truck transition faster.

Chris
Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
thanks for your thoughts...

it just sounds counter-intuitive to me. due to the weighty-er SCTs in general, aren't they already "planted" just due to weight differences between SCTs vs. buggies.
I can notice an insane difference, if u set the ride hieght at a certain level with the heavy battery the springs are tighter, and if u use a shorty u don't have to have the springs as tight, IMO this makes the truck roll more, but it could just be me lol