Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I didnt gain any time or consistency with B5M. But, I like how it feels on indoor clay tracks. Plus, I hate tearing up motors in RM configurations. But, if i start racing on outdoor tracks that are poorly maintained with inconsistent traction, I would run a B5 RM. Just because it is easier and less tire work. The tuning window for the MM is smaller and when the traction greatly changes throughout the day, the MM sufferers unless you are really on top of tires. The casual show up and race and go home guy will be better off with an RM car, imo.
When was the last time your ran low traction with your mid motor car?

Come down south for some outdoor racing, I'll run my b5m and you bring a rear motor car.

I'll still lap you
Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
When was the last time your ran low traction with your mid motor car?

Come down south for some outdoor racing, I'll run my b5m and you bring a rear motor car.

I'll still lap you
lo, did you miss the part where i said fast drivers are still fast with either car, lol. And no way I would run MM on that track. I am also sure Rivkin would crush you with an RM car. MM is not a magic fast pill. And last I saw, that kid from ASU was still crushing you with his RM car on high bite
Old 06-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

lo, did you miss the part where i said fast drivers are still fast with either car, lol. And no way I would run MM on that track. I am also sure Rivkin would crush you with an RM car. MM is not a magic fast pill. And last I saw, that kid from ASU was still crushing you with his RM car on high bite
Without sarcasm I want to pose a simple question. If RM is still a viable platform why is AE moving away from it altogether? Since this is the B5M thread I'll keep the conversation AE specific. I'm not sure why I used that quote. It doesn't matter. My point is that the B5R hardly sells and and the ST and SC are MM only. I'm just saying. Either AE is a marketing juggernaut and riding out the MM fad or their engineers know something that others haven't figured out yet.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Suspended

I was once out qualified on a bad day by a rear motor car on high bite.

I then put it together in the main, beat him, and an Arizona wildcat continues to reign supreme.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Without sarcasm I want to pose a simple question. If RM is still a viable platform why is AE moving away from it altogether? Since this is the B5M thread I'll keep the conversation AE specific.
Because it is trend nowdays and sells better. IOW it is not "better" (it is always tradeoff) but it sell better. MM cars have been many years (and MM cars didnt dominate, but they were competiteve), but only now those have become trend (and no there is no magic thing than made them suddenly better).
Old 06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Without sarcasm I want to pose a simple question. If RM is still a viable platform why is AE moving away from it altogether? Since this is the B5M thread I'll keep the conversation AE specific. I'm not sure why I used that quote. It doesn't matter. My point is that the B5R hardly sells and and the ST and SC are MM only. I'm just saying. Either AE is a marketing juggernaut and riding out the MM fad or their engineers know something that others haven't figured out yet.
good question. Especially with the SC5M coming out. That is a SC truck, which are run outside more than not.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Prophet

oh, I am sure it is tenths faster, and that is all it takes for the pros to run them. My point is, most people here need more than a 1/10th second to be on par with the pros, so better time spend practicing. They also are much better at tuning and have engr support that club racers dont. Lee Martin commented at cactus how he was at a disadvantage because his "tuning guy" could not get a VISA in time. And tuning over the phone is hard. But, I run MM because I like the feel, but it does not make me any faster. Maybe a couple 10ths faster, but I need more than that to win around here, lol. WTB 2 seconds per lap. Anyone know the part number?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MiG77
Because it is trend nowdays and sells better. IOW it is not "better" (it is always tradeoff) but it sell better. MM cars have been many years (and MM cars didnt dominate, but they were competiteve), but only now those have become trend (and no there is no magic thing than made them suddenly better).
I couldn't disagree more.

The setup and style for the mid motor car has been figured out. Rear motor cars had 20 years of development, mid motor is only scraping the surface with the current platforms.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
good question. Especially with the SC5M coming out. That is a SC truck, which are run outside more than not.
I dont know about the Sc5m, but the T4 always had WAY too much rear bite. Those fat tires are probably the cause. So I can see MM ST running on more surfaces. SC are weird. Higher CG, skinny tall tires. I have no idea how that will shack out. But I dont think AE wants to make convertible trucks and since MM is very popular, MM probably the best to make and sell. The AE team drivers race indoors on well groomed tracks. So MM makes more sense for them.

@Socket The kid has been getting faster. I actually dont know if he is still running MM, as I rarely go to W3. But i have seen his race results and he has been doing much better. Maybe he went MM.

Anyway, this argument is old and pointless. If the trend holds, we will be on turf tracks in the next 2 years and we will run low profile tranny cars and funky looking tires.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Once again, I don't know which is better and I didn't even offer an opinion when I asked why AE is moving away from it. I simply asked the question. If they didn't believe in the MM platform it would be a terrible business decision to move away from it because the B5 platform is going to be around for 4-5 more years [at least] . As you guys know AE sticks with their platforms for a long time. I actually think, based on the stuff coming out, that Kyosho and AE are in an all out war for market share. Kyosho's prices are coming down and AE is now starting to offer equivalent products. I've mentioned this before....
Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Suspended

My mid motor car does power wheelies on this lowbite track. I don't need rear traction, at all.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Once again, I don't know which is better and I didn't even offer an opinion when I asked why AE is moving away from it. I simply asked the question. If they didn't believe in the MM platform it would be a terrible business decision to move away from it because the B5 platform is going to be around for 4-5 more years. As you guys know AE sticks with their platforms for a long time. I actually think, based on the stuff coming out, that Kyosho and AE are in an all out war for market share. Kyosho's prices are coming down and AE is now starting to offer equivalent products. I've mentioned this before....
Some of us are lucky enough to run on the same tracks the pros do. So we run cars like they do. Because their setups support the tracks we drive on. No one is making RM setups, so why buy the car, right. That is how it kinda goes. Follow the leader. But i have seen several videos and pictures of tracks where the locals chose the rm CARS BECAUSE mm JUST DO NOT WORK WELL. caps lock. I am talking about tracks with rooster tailing all the way around the track. Those 80's and early 90's style tracks. On those tracks....I would run RM, at least until I see if I can get MM to work. On race days, I hate to drive cars I am struggling with. Those cars are for practice days.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

In the last 20 years tracks have changed a lot as well, just check out the IFMAR Worlds videos from the 90's, loamy tracks and changing conditions, nothing like the super traction, smooth hard clay we run on now. Tires are different, lipo too has had an effect on making buggies lighter, it all played a part to open the door to these new mid motor platforms to really show what they can do.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Prophet

My mid motor car does power wheelies on this lowbite track. I don't need rear traction, at all.
That is not low bite. Go to the sand dunes and do your wheelies. There are tracks with much lower traction than what you run on.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

I couldn't disagree more.

The setup and style for the mid motor car has been figured out. Rear motor cars had 20 years of development, mid motor is only scraping the surface with the current platforms.
All with respect but I dont think that it takes several years to "figure out" MM. IE DEX210 have been around from 2010 or so?

The thing is that MM cars dont have anything major innovative in them. Main point of them is that it moves generally COG forward and in smaller area (which again is tradeof -> you get something but also lose something).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.