Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
The only thing I don't like about that is the specific gears needed to be run. Meaning more parts I need to stick in my Pit bag for inventory. Plus, then I gotta adjust it ☺
your talking about the schelle eliminator correct?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes. And I Race in astroturf so it's usually high bite.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

slipper eliminators back in the day were hard on diffs.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Does anyone know the release date on the 3 gear trans?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I use Speedy's slipper eliminator and his cut gears and haven't had the first problem. His idler gears are full width so you don't have to use spacers to fill the gap.
Blake
Old 12-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zeakemedia
I use Speedy's slipper eliminator and his cut gears and haven't had the first problem. His idler gears are full width so you don't have to use spacers to fill the gap.
Blake
My idler gears are cut and I don't use spacers. What spacers are your referring to? Just curious
Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hello,
This question has probably been asked before, but I don't want to look through 237 pages to find the answer.
I currently have a Losi 22. My 2 sons have stated that they have an interest and want to start running in the novice class. I think a buggy is the best option for them because it is the class that at levels other than novice, race every week.
I am willing to switch brands so that we can all 3 have the same vehicle (less parts that I have to carry around.
I already have electronics to put in their cars.

Here are my questions:
1) What, if any, parts should be put on a new kit version of a B5M to make it more durable and handle better for novice drivers running 17.5 motors?
2) What needs to be done to the OOB (out of the box) B5M to make it drive well for a more seasoned driver? I have a friend that has a B5M and he is using the stock rear arms turned around and facing forward and also using B4 arms. Is this the correct setup? Will the B5M front arms work well? What other upgrades will make the OOB car run well and fast?

Any other suggestions or setups tips?
Is there a starting setup sheet that will get me to a good place with a car that turns well and is stable (ie not loose on the rear wheels, but does not push)?

thanks,
tim
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_speed
Hello,
This question has probably been asked before, but I don't want to look through 237 pages to find the answer.
I currently have a Losi 22. My 2 sons have stated that they have an interest and want to start running in the novice class. I think a buggy is the best option for them because it is the class that at levels other than novice, race every week.
I am willing to switch brands so that we can all 3 have the same vehicle (less parts that I have to carry around.

Here are my questions:
1) What, if any, parts should be put on a new kit version of a B5M to make it more durable and handle better for novice drivers running 17.5 motors?
2) What needs to be done to the OOB (out of the box) B5M to make it drive well for a more seasoned driver? I have a friend that has a B5M and he is using the stock rear arms turned around and facing forward and also using B4 arms. Is this the correct setup? Will the B5M front arms work well? What other upgrades will make the OOB car run well and fast?

Is there a starting setup sheet that will get me to a good place with a car that turns well and is stable (ie not loose on the rear wheels, but does not push)?

thanks,
tim
Tim,

For the novice racers, run their B5m's bone stock, right out of the box. The car will be a little on the heavy side, which will slow them, tame them, and make them easier to drive. No upgrades needed in the slightest. If you want to tame the steering a little bit, and shift the weight slightly more to the rear, run the B5r front arms and front tower, and rear arms (these are put on the opposite side. L on R, and R on L).

For the more experienced racer, I would follow the same basic plan, however if you are good at driving a faster more twitchy car, you can spend some extra cash lightening up the car with any or all of the following:

.Pucks
.Ti turnbuckles
.Ti ballstuds
.Ti screw kid
.Lightweight top shaft
.Slipper Eliminator
.Cut gears
.Milled motor plate
.Carbon chassis

Remember, a lighter car isn't necessarily a faster car. You balance speed against traction and ease of driving.

I would run them all bone stock at first, and slowly figure out how much weight you want to shave (if any) and then start to incorporate lighter parts as needed.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello,

Here are my questions:

thanks,
tim
Kit is good to go right out of the box for your boys. No need to do anything until they graduate out of the novice class. If you are running stock 17.5, I would get pucks, slipper eliminator, aluminum top shaft to start. You can also get rear b5 arms and reverse them. Also straight front arms with matching tower when you get the $.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

rc speed, are you yourself looking to run stock or mod with YOUR B5M?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all,

I have a little setup question :

I'm running a B5m with shorty on super stock (13.5t with lots of timing) basically completely stock setup.
I have the same tires as everybody on the club (schum mini pin + cut stagger both yellow compound ) running on good grip carpet.
My issue is that the car tends do fight me on mid corners.
I can't zip around as fast as the others. It lets go sideways brutally but can be controlled back again almost instantly up to 2-3times in one corner.
From a viewer it looks like I'm fighting the car and that it's got a sort of side jumping(brutal sliding) ability.
Looking at many guys setup on similar track they have put stiffer spring all around but especially at the front (no one owns the b5m at my club apart from one guy that didn't show up for a while).
Would that help ? I also have a gear diff set at 2000 which I refill on a very regular basis.

Thank in advance

Jonathan
Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shannow
Hi all,

I have a little setup question :

I'm running a B5m with shorty on super stock (13.5t with lots of timing) basically completely stock setup.
I have the same tires as everybody on the club (schum mini pin + cut stagger both yellow compound ) running on good grip carpet.
My issue is that the car tends do fight me on mid corners.
I can't zip around as fast as the others. It lets go sideways brutally but can be controlled back again almost instantly severa
Mine did the same thing until I dropped a little weight and ran my electronics inline. I did both at the same time, so I cant really say which change was the best. Probably the inline electronics.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
rc speed, are you yourself looking to run stock or mod with YOUR B5M?
17.5 stock
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

17.5 stock
Long story short..build the car and drive it first. THEN decide what aftermarket parts will help you the most.

I'm not even going to suggest the RM rear arms, Front arms and tower to start. Because even those are my opinion.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Long story short..build the car and drive it first. THEN decide what aftermarket parts will help you the most.

I'm not even going to suggest the RM rear arms, Front arms and tower to start. Because even those are my opinion.
I have tried the MM arms several times. I just dont like them. they make the steering feel non linear and unpredictable. They do give more initial steering, but it feels weird to me. I found removing ackerman washers had a better feel and increased turn in using the RM arms. But yeah, you need to try them to see if you like them. I did not. The car comes with them, so might as well try them. The car does seem to land jumps a little better with the MM front arms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.