R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #14851
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx836 View Post
What are you mod guys running for transmissions? Is the 3 gear transmission only good for stock, or better all around?
I like it better all around. Adds on power stearing and jumps a little better. Doesn't really seem to take away rear traction and I run the B5M rear arms. I only run mod.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #14852
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone using any other ball cups or rod ends aftermarket or from other vehicles? I never was abel to get them free and just going through the car they are binding again.

It's really crap. My RC8B3 rod ends and ballstuds are a better setup, as I think the plastic is more of a stiffer and lower coefficient of friction and more importantly molded properly. So if there was a smaller version for 3mm turnbuckles I would go to those.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #14853
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

smh

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #14854
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190mph View Post
Anyone using any other ball cups or rod ends aftermarket or from other vehicles? I never was abel to get them free and just going through the car they are binding again.

It's really crap. My RC8B3 rod ends and ballstuds are a better setup, as I think the plastic is more of a stiffer and lower coefficient of friction and more importantly molded properly. So if there was a smaller version for 3mm turnbuckles I would go to those.
I've had the B5 RM since it release...binding and hard to install and remove. But after a few runs, the start to loosen up.

with my new B5M lite, I believe that the ballstuds or cups have been revised for a better fit (read in this forum). They were easier to install and they are more free compared with the first release in early 2014.
Even though they are better than original, mine are still tighter than ones on my B5 RM and b44.3 that have been run-in.

Maybe you'll see the difference once you run a few packs
Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #14855
Tech Regular

Thought I'd show a pic of my B5M since it's a little different. KDRC carbon chassis. Ac rc gear tranny. custom motor plate. Battery hold down. Slipper eliminator. And brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-20150802_201614.jpg  
X6^3: Tekin, Fantom, Sav÷x
B5M: KDRC, Fantom, hobbywing, Sav÷x, Schelle, AC RC
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #14856
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:

These are ur friend and read the first page.

vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #14857
Tech Regular

Default A funny thing happened on the way to the hobby store.

Not been into rc cars since a local indoor carpet track closed it's doors back in 2003, minus a short stint in 1/5th scale in 2007. Recently my brother lost his job and oddly enough, found a position with a good company back where he grew up in Nor Cal, had to uproot family and move them across the country. His two boys, young teenagers, handled it well and never complained. I decided to do something fun for them and bring them into a hobby I loved so much at their age, rc cars, off road to be exact.

I do some searching on the internet and realize, a ton of stuff has changed since I stepped away, 2.4 ghz, everything is brushless and lipo's. So I look for something from Losi or Associated. I find the Losi Mini 8IGHT-T and decide to upgrade them to lipo for run time. I find out we have a new hobby shop in San Jose, actually one that had been around some time just moved quite a bit further South towards me, Nor Cal Hobbies.

So a week ago this last Saturday I place an order at Hobby King for some lipo's, suggested elsewhere on this forum, lipo chargers, nut and allan drivers and other goodies to work on the trucks (too bad they are all now metric ). After placing the order I head up to Nor Cal Hobbies to check out the Losi mini trucks and the indoor dirt track. Upon arriving I am surprised to see the place bustling, for a practice morning it has thirty plus folks working on and running buggies. Never seen an indoor clay track before and was impressed at the speed and grip these trucks\buggies had.

I probably wasn't there more than half an hour and knew that my nephews were not the only ones to be getting new rc toys that day. The funniest thing was that a guy shows up with a decked out Mini T, slaps it down on the track and was handling a good number of vehicles on the track, watching him weave through several of the 1/8 scale vehicles was awesome and comical at the same time. I was hooked

This track has a pretty well outfitted hobby shop attached and of course they have all the modern goodies to modify said kits. I get the basics out of the way and got on to what I wanted. After going over the available kits I opted for the 1/10th scale 2wd buggy class in 17.5. I really wanted that B44 but with only a handful of folks racing that class the 2wd option was the most sporting and went with the Associated B5M Lite and supporting goodies of a Hobby Wing V3.1 Stock Spec, some Orion 4500 shorties and a Powers Actinium 17.5 out back.

Took most of the week to get my B5M lite built and wired up, had like three parts missing from the kit and that meant an order to Amain for those parts and some other goodies, this hobby is evil I got to spend most of Saturday and today burning through battery packs and getting the car setup well enough to work on the basics of getting around the course in one piece and learning how to jump with brake and throttle, I have a really bad habit of braking at bad times and nose diving, old touring car habits die hard.

Having to start from scratch as my 12 year old gear was not gonna cut it, so a new radio that communicated to it's receiver in a high pitched alien voice. Motors that do not need my dyno or lathe to get up and running, sensored car motors\esc (it looks like there is nine wires between just these two) must be witch craft with no brushes. The manual for ESC, new radio and buggy kit amounted to something like War and Peace for the rc world I just wish these guys would print a proper manual that uses a font that is slightly bigger than what is on an Apple iWatch.

With a bit of help from some of the mod guys, I was able to get to the point of making multiple laps with only the occasional bobble, one section proved to be my bane, main straight ended at right hand ninety into a short run up to a big double over a gap, I either doinked to the opposing face due to hitting the brakes too soon or jumped outside to inside the opposing turn In probably twelve packs run, I beat the living crap out of this buggy and the only casualty was the wing, that poor bastard got drug for the last battery till it gave up the ghost and flew away landing the triple. I gotta say, I love clay, big air, big lipo's and torque heavy brushless motors. A couple more weekends of practice and I'll start racing again, fun weekend.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #14858
Jva
Tech Initiate

Default Re

Cool post fasttrack.... Enjoyed reading. Hope you keep us post d on your reunion tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Not been into rc cars since a local indoor carpet track closed it's doors back in 2003, minus a short stint in 1/5th scale in 2007. Recently my brother lost his job and oddly enough, found a position with a good company back where he grew up in Nor Cal, had to uproot family and move them across the country. His two boys, young teenagers, handled it well and never complained. I decided to do something fun for them and bring them into a hobby I loved so much at their age, rc cars, off road to be exact.

I do some searching on the internet and realize, a ton of stuff has changed since I stepped away, 2.4 ghz, everything is brushless and lipo's. So I look for something from Losi or Associated. I find the Losi Mini 8IGHT-T and decide to upgrade them to lipo for run time. I find out we have a new hobby shop in San Jose, actually one that had been around some time just moved quite a bit further South towards me, Nor Cal Hobbies.

So a week ago this last Saturday I place an order at Hobby King for some lipo's, suggested elsewhere on this forum, lipo chargers, nut and allan drivers and other goodies to work on the trucks (too bad they are all now metric ). After placing the order I head up to Nor Cal Hobbies to check out the Losi mini trucks and the indoor dirt track. Upon arriving I am surprised to see the place bustling, for a practice morning it has thirty plus folks working on and running buggies. Never seen an indoor clay track before and was impressed at the speed and grip these trucks\buggies had.

I probably wasn't there more than half an hour and knew that my nephews were not the only ones to be getting new rc toys that day. The funniest thing was that a guy shows up with a decked out Mini T, slaps it down on the track and was handling a good number of vehicles on the track, watching him weave through several of the 1/8 scale vehicles was awesome and comical at the same time. I was hooked

This track has a pretty well outfitted hobby shop attached and of course they have all the modern goodies to modify said kits. I get the basics out of the way and got on to what I wanted. After going over the available kits I opted for the 1/10th scale 2wd buggy class in 17.5. I really wanted that B44 but with only a handful of folks racing that class the 2wd option was the most sporting and went with the Associated B5M Lite and supporting goodies of a Hobby Wing V3.1 Stock Spec, some Orion 4500 shorties and a Powers Actinium 17.5 out back.

Took most of the week to get my B5M lite built and wired up, had like three parts missing from the kit and that meant an order to Amain for those parts and some other goodies, this hobby is evil I got to spend most of Saturday and today burning through battery packs and getting the car setup well enough to work on the basics of getting around the course in one piece and learning how to jump with brake and throttle, I have a really bad habit of braking at bad times and nose diving, old touring car habits die hard.

Having to start from scratch as my 12 year old gear was not gonna cut it, so a new radio that communicated to it's receiver in a high pitched alien voice. Motors that do not need my dyno or lathe to get up and running, sensored car motors\esc (it looks like there is nine wires between just these two) must be witch craft with no brushes. The manual for ESC, new radio and buggy kit amounted to something like War and Peace for the rc world I just wish these guys would print a proper manual that uses a font that is slightly bigger than what is on an Apple iWatch.

With a bit of help from some of the mod guys, I was able to get to the point of making multiple laps with only the occasional bobble, one section proved to be my bane, main straight ended at right hand ninety into a short run up to a big double over a gap, I either doinked to the opposing face due to hitting the brakes too soon or jumped outside to inside the opposing turn In probably twelve packs run, I beat the living crap out of this buggy and the only casualty was the wing, that poor bastard got drug for the last battery till it gave up the ghost and flew away landing the triple. I gotta say, I love clay, big air, big lipo's and torque heavy brushless motors. A couple more weekends of practice and I'll start racing again, fun weekend.
Jva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #14859
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Got some pics you can post up of wings and bodies? Would be interesting to see the look.
I DONT RIGHT NOW BUT I JUST CUT OUT 2 WINGS IDENTICAL LAST NIGHT I WILL PLASTI DIP ONE OF THEM AND LEAVE THE OTHER CLEAR AND THAN WEIGHT THEM BOTH, WILL GIVE A GOOD HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGHT AND LET YOU SEE THE END RESULT WITH PLASTI DIP.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #14860
Tech Initiate

Does the b5 to b5m conversion kit come with the latest v2 gearbox. There was a review that it didnt on amain but just wondering if they fixed it or not
Aaron33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #14861
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/sworkz-...501800/p267309
This is what I have been using its a little heavy but indestructible.
Scottysspeedsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #14862
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysspeedsho View Post
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/sworkz-...501800/p267309
This is what I have been using its a little heavy but indestructible.

Does the wing with the holes line up perfectly with the associated mounts spacing or just get the version without holes?

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #14863
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 306 (100%+)
Default TOP 5 Mods for 17.5 Class

Ok guys, after searching several sites i want to get Everyone's opinion who RACES 17.5 Stock class with the B5m Factory Lite.
Please quote this post to help sort through the other discussion.

Thank you guys.
k1ller rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #14864
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i got the version without the holes it has marks on the bottom so its pretty easy to line up and drill.
Scottysspeedsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #14865
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

IT IS LIKE A BIG FLAPPER ON THE REAR OF THE CAR BUT IS INDESTRUCTABLE, I USED IT IN MY FIRST RACE WITH MINE THIS WEEKEND AND FELT GOOD IT IS THE SAME AS WILDCAT USES
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote