Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This stuff is pretty good as well for coating gears... but costs quite a bit ..
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Jva
Tech Initiate

Default 10.5 or 13.5 motor

Newbie here on a reunion tour of duty. Last car was an 89 Losi Jrx2. Finally 25 years later I got the B5m (rc10 I always wanted as a kid) and am really happy. Also have a Tekno SCT. I. Any event its a bit of a let down going to the track on a 17.5 setup. It is making me a better driver but I feel I need more power on the jumps with little lead time. I know everyone will say the 17.5 will make me a better, and it is. However, I'm not having as much fun coming out of the corners so slow. Wondering if it's better to pick up a 13.5 (reedy) or a 10.5 LRP. Both here for about 40-50 bucks hardly used. Keep in mind if I ever race I will be rookie class anyhow and am interested equally both in fun and getting better. Any advice highly appreciated and if anyone has anything to sell please pm me. Thanks very much!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jva
Newbie here on a reunion tour of duty. Last car was an 89 Losi Jrx2. Finally 25 years later I got the B5m (rc10 I always wanted as a kid) and am really happy. Also have a Tekno SCT. I. Any event its a bit of a let down going to the track on a 17.5 setup. It is making me a better driver but I feel I need more power on the jumps with little lead time. I know everyone will say the 17.5 will make me a better, and it is. However, I'm not having as much fun coming out of the corners so slow. Wondering if it's better to pick up a 13.5 (reedy) or a 10.5 LRP. Both here for about 40-50 bucks hardly used. Keep in mind if I ever race I will be rookie class anyhow and am interested equally both in fun and getting better. Any advice highly appreciated and if anyone has anything to sell please pm me. Thanks very much!
What is the setup in the car now? In mine I have a trinity D4 motor and its a slingshot when geared right and timing is set on the motor.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Jva
Tech Initiate

Default Re

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
What is the setup in the car now? In mine I have a trinity D4 motor and its a slingshot when geared right and timing is set on the motor.
Thx . Bought the b5m used and came with a Tekin rs esc and track star 17.5 motor. Saw the pinion was a 32 tooth but don't know the spur. Timing on esc helped but quite sluggish coming out of a turn into jumps especially making a double
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5m-setup-20150727.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
Can you give some detail on the trimming you do on the DT foams?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HBRob
Can you give some detail on the trimming you do on the DT foams?
Per Paul Wynn's suggestion I trimmed the ribbing on the inside where the foam touches the wheel. This gives the tire a flatter profile.

Also, for those coming to nats. Many many local drivers are running 4wd dirt tech foams in the 2wd fronts. I have not tried this yet, but plan to soon. It makes for a really stiff front tire.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jva
Thx . Bought the b5m used and came with a Tekin rs esc and track star 17.5 motor. Saw the pinion was a 32 tooth but don't know the spur. Timing on esc helped but quite sluggish coming out of a turn into jumps especially making a double
I would say it could be the gearing or the motor is weak. I haven't ran my D4 17.5 yet but from what I see at my local track they are snapping out of corners and hitting doubles easy. Maybe pick up a used D4 in a 17.5 and 10.5 and run the 17.5 to get practice in and be smoother before jumping to the 10.5
Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Per Paul Wynn's suggestion I trimmed the ribbing on the inside where the foam touches the wheel. This gives the tire a flatter profile.

Also, for those coming to nats. Many many local drivers are running 4wd dirt tech foams in the 2wd fronts. I have not tried this yet, but plan to soon. It makes for a really stiff front tire.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ceramic trans bearings?

Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justin payne
Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justin payne
Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.
Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have factory b5m lite bearings now. Im looking at the schelle kit which i beleive is metal sheilded on both sides. I think avid kit is only sheilded on one side.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
That may be it then...i was comparing the cleaned $1 avid bearings to the schelle ceramic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.