R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #14416
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

New from avid
Old 07-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #14417
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hack Me View Post
I took my time with the ball diff. Watched the videos a couple times. Spent about an hour breaking it in slowly. I wanted to rule out the ball diff as a problem, knowing I was going to struggle. It's really really smooth. I've always been a gear diff, if someone said make it like 4k ide be spot on. I ran it about 2 hrs breaking everything in. My tires are spot on. I shouldnt have said loose. More hard packed with real light dust on top. I run the same tires in E scale. Fast lap in Escale is 24.3 and you are on it with perfect lines. My fast lap so far is 27.1 it's really hard to be spot on with this. My biggest problem is washing out in a turn on power. I have to be super careful. I have plenty of steering, actually to much. It will dive into a turn. I was hoping to gain a little rear traction in the turns by loosing some steering. The thing is I always do good in Escale. I was really running my mouth on how I was gonna dominate 2wd. I can't really ask my buddy what to do because I was running my mouth to him. All in good fun. Otherwise this thing is great. Plenty of steering, jumps and flys well. Has great rip on the down sides with good breaks. I'm very pleased with it. Wish I would have got one sooner
2wd is way different than 1/8, you have to be way smoother in both throttle and steering movements.

I'd start with the shocks as by the book they aren't ideal for what you're running on. I'd go 2x1.6mm pistons, 35/30 shock oil, 32.5/27.5 if it's cool or the track is super loose. Also going to a green spring in the rear will help lock it in some more. I really like the rear shock on the inside of the tower and arm, seems to help keep the rear planted.

The front should be ok, just play with the rear end. Maybe try 1* of antisquat instead of the 2* that the book tells you.

Also depending on how bumpy the track is, you might try some more droop.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #14418
Tech Rookie
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone have a problem with the STRC steering hitting the servo? Servo is a 1258TG

The_ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #14419
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_ocho View Post
Anyone have a problem with the STRC steering hitting the servo? Servo is a 1258TG

yes, mine was very close (I ended up putting stock back on for other reasons). I dremeled it and the servo case a bit to allow for clearance.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #14420
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRob View Post
yes, mine was very close (I ended up putting stock back on for other reasons). I dremeled it and the servo case a bit to allow for clearance.
Its a really poor design. They should test their designs with around 6 of the most popular servos before they release the final version to ensure this kind of thing doesnt happen. Cowboys!

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #14421
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I just picked up a B5M light as my first 2wd....anything. We run a lot of Escale and PRO 4 out here. I was hoping to pick up a setup for loose conditions. More of pointers on how tight my slipper should be, ball diff. I can hit my mark, decent driver. I know i cant squeeze on it like Escale. Im looking to dumb it down a little bit, but i still have to get it to turn. Im running my ball diff a little loose, slipper is about perfect, shorter links up front, (they will probably go longer) stock rear links -2mm washer under the ball stud. Battery has big foam front 2 small foam in rear. my shocks are perfect in stock location. I started really slow in making changes, Im really new to what its "supposed" to feel like. Am i even close? Some pointers and little trick would be very helpful.
Thanks
We run on outdoor tracks here in Australia with traction that varies from low to med. Ive always found the 5M can be as fast or faster than RM in all conditions. When its low traction and loose you need to move away from kit setup (mainly moving weight to the rear) but the mass is still more centralised than rear motor so the corner speed is better.

Ive -put together a setup guide for the B5M on these sort of tracks which you can find here:

Ask Ray Munday - JConcepts, Reedy, Associated Aussie Support Thread

Hope this helps.

Ray
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #14422
Tech Regular

Quote:
I took my time with the ball diff. Watched the videos a couple times. Spent about an hour breaking it in slowly. I wanted to rule out the ball diff as a problem, knowing I was going to struggle. It's really really smooth. I've always been a gear diff, if someone said make it like 4k ide be spot on. I ran it about 2 hrs breaking everything in. My tires are spot on. I shouldnt have said loose. More hard packed with real light dust on top. I run the same tires in E scale. Fast lap in Escale is 24.3 and you are on it with perfect lines. My fast lap so far is 27.1 it's really hard to be spot on with this. My biggest problem is washing out in a turn on power. I have to be super careful. I have plenty of steering, actually to much. It will dive into a turn. I was hoping to gain a little rear traction in the turns by loosing some steering. The thing is I always do good in Escale. I was really running my mouth on how I was gonna dominate 2wd. I can't really ask my buddy what to do because I was running my mouth to him. All in good fun. Otherwise this thing is great. Plenty of steering, jumps and flys well. Has great rip on the down sides with good breaks. I'm very pleased with it. Wish I would have got one sooner
If you are just looking for more side bite in the corner go down on anti squat.

Mugen Seiki/Yokomo Usa/Protek/Amain/R1 Wurks/Flashpoint/KW Raceway
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #14423
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

got an avid triad for my lite and the plates won't go onto the top shaft. any suggestions other than grinding the flat spots on the top shaft threads down more?
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #14424
Tech Adept

Default BRO, Race PArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Maniac View Post
Its a really poor design. They should test their designs with around 6 of the most popular servos before they release the final version to ensure this kind of thing doesnt happen. Cowboys!
I agree, just buy race parts from the beginning and you won't have this problem
NeedsHobbyMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #14425
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
got an avid triad for my lite and the plates won't go onto the top shaft. any suggestions other than grinding the flat spots on the top shaft threads down more?
I had the issue also. It if because not all shafts are made the same. I had issues with the AE v2 topshaft. I took a small file and removed a little material from the drive plates until it slipped on. I talked to avid about this and he designed the plates around the original AE v1 topshafts....but not around every permutation on the market. Again, it look me about 5 minutes and the material I removed was minimal.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #14426
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
The factory lite comes with the aluminum 91427 topshaft. If I'm not mistaken, the Triad is for the stock steel 91425 topshaft. So, I believe you'll need the stock steel topshaft to use the Triad slipper.

BUT, I would say that you're defeating the purpose of the "lite" idea by adding that heavy steel and bulky slipper clutch to the car (adding rotational mass). Most racers are using a slipper eliminator (not that I agree with that) but I find the stock "Lite" slipper kit to be absolutely fine even for the VERY high traction track I drive mine on.

Great Lipo learning link: http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
Redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #14427
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
The factory lite comes with the aluminum 91427 topshaft. If I'm not mistaken, the Triad is for the stock steel 91425 topshaft. So, I believe you'll need the stock steel topshaft to use the Triad slipper.

BUT, I would say that you're defeating the purpose of the "lite" idea by adding that heavy steel and bulky slipper clutch to the car (adding rotational mass). Most racers are using a slipper eliminator (not that I agree with that) but I find the stock "Lite" slipper kit to be absolutely fine even for the VERY high traction track I drive mine on.
You are mistaken...the triad fits all the top shafts...takes a little careful finesse to put them on aluminum top shafts at times. Plus the triad slipper is lighter than any slipper assembly that ae sells.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #14428
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Gear diff or ball diff

I was thinking of trying a ball diff in my B5M. What do you guys think worth it or not?
bigcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #14429
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcracing View Post
I was thinking of trying a ball diff in my B5M. What do you guys think worth it or not?
IMO ball diff on everything but maybe carpet or extremely high traction smooth sugar tracks. Gear diff is just to "darty" and does not have a smooth throttle response and traction is very different with the gear diff. I've never ran one in a 2wd but that is how I felt about them in the b44.3 which should be even worse in a 2wd vehicle.

Proud To Represent: Fantom Racing - Schelle Racing - FastTraxx Hobbies
dbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #14430
Tech Adept

Default BALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcracing View Post
I run ball diffs, but have had gear in the past. The feeling is very different, do some testing because ultimately it comes down to what feels good on your set up. After running gear diff in my SC10, and then going to ball diff there was no return to gear diffs for me. I like the ability of tuning with my ball diff, but I usually just set them tight and adjust after a bit of break in time (tough part is not to get excited and forget to tighten your diff).
NeedsHobbyMoney is offline   Reply With Quote