R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #14326
Tech Apprentice

I just ordered my RC10B5M. This is the most technical and race worthy car I've ever had so there may be some dumb questions coming....
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #14327
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
If you want to run 4 gear you need the following
1x 91552 V2 4 gear Trans case
1x 91428 Std motor plate or 91546 LW Blk plate or 91547 LW Blue Plate
1x 91435 gear cover
1x 91429 Idler gear
1x 91011 Idler shaft
2x your favorite variety of 5x10 bearings
Thanks everyone, appreciate to support.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #14328
Tech Initiate

Should I run 4 gear or 3 gear for a track like OCRC? Indoor high bite clay
Aaron33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #14329
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron33 View Post

You really should try both. I run 4 gear in stock, but my buddy runs 3 gear in Mod. Same sort of high bite clay track.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #14330
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (99%+)
Default OCRC

Quote:
At OCRC, the majority of us 17.5 stock racers run 3-gear. For mod, its a mix and personal preferrence between the 2 gear-boxes.

Its an inexpensive investment and worth testing both out. Look at your 5/10/15 average lap times and let the numbers decipher which works better overall.

Good luck!
desertracerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #14331
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am planning on switching my b5m to a 3 gear tranny. I run 17.5 class and maybe 13.5.
what do I need to buy to make the change?
91607 3 gear box
91603 motor plate
91604 3 gear cover

I already have the MIP 14195 topshaft. Will this work or do I need to but the Associated 91606 topshaft and 91560 bearings?

Also, I want to put in cut gears. CB design is out of stock. Who else makes good cut gears that will work?

I am also assuming that my stock B5M chassis will work and I don't need the b5m Lite chassis. Is this a correct assumption?

thanks,
tim
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #14332
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I just ordered my RC10B5M. This is the most technical and race worthy car I've ever had so there may be some dumb questions coming....
Don't fret it. We all have been there and most of us will share the information we have.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #14333
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Should I run 4 gear or 3 gear for high bite clay Track like OCRC for mod
You should use whatever works best for you.
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #14334
Tech Initiate

I got a b5m lite recently because of all the upgrades it comes with but should I switch the lite chassis for the standard b5m chassis for mod or will it not make much of a difference?
Aaron33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 AM   #14335
Tech Initiate

^ been curious about this as well as I've been pondering picking up one or the other, but would mainly be running mod.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #14336
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
I got a b5m lite recently because of all the upgrades it comes with but should I switch the lite chassis for the standard b5m chassis for mod or will it not make much of a difference?
It will be just fine in modified. The lite chassis may be lighter, but we were changing chassis' to get more flex, the lack of weight was just an added bonus.
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #14337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone have any real world testing experience on a loose track to indicate if there is an actual benefit to 4 gear over 3 gear? Just wish there was a factory "heavy mod" version of the b5m because I'd rather have the thicker chassis and 4 gear for running outdoor in loser conditions with large wind catching jumps with abrasive landings in mod. For me, all the light options such as a 3 gear transmission and thinner chassis are going the wrong direction for running 2wd competitively outdoors.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #14338
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Does anyone have any real world testing experience on a loose track to indicate if there is an actual benefit to 4 gear over 3 gear? Just wish there was a factory "heavy mod" version of the b5m because I'd rather have the thicker chassis and 4 gear for running outdoor in loser conditions with large wind catching jumps with abrasive landings in mod. For me, all the light options such as a 3 gear transmission and thinner chassis are going the wrong direction for running 2wd competitively outdoors.
The milled chassis adds flex which might benefit outdoors. Aside from that, the brass items help many people that run outdoors to get the weight where they need it. Socket who posted above was using a square backs and I think the rear brass C block for outdoor racing. Adding weight is pretty easy.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #14339
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
I've been using the lite chassis for every outdoor race this year. The flex it has is similar to cutting the waterfall! I added the brass c block which pretty much gets the milled weight back. I also have only run 4 gear because our tracks typically do not produce enough grip and I'm almost positive the 3 gear would be at a disadvantage. I'm still using a shorty pack btw. So far the cars been phenomenal!

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #14340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Many outdoor tracks here in Michigan are more old school, topsoil surfaces. I've done lots of testing on them with my two mid motor cars and the 4 gear is better for my driving style in mod. It definitely gives you more rear bite while accelerating and also really helps when pitching the car around mid air after rough jumps that don't always launch you cleanly. That being said, it makes it harder to use the brakes as it pitches more weight forward, but I tend to just scrub speed by throwing the car sideways.

However, it is a smaller difference than I expected going between the two gearboxes (both AE). The biggest difference was getting the car around 1550-1580 with a 68-70% rear weight bias. Also, more flex helped a lot more than the gearbox swap by doing the waterfall mod and/or using a more flexible chassis. I've currently settled on the infinity chassis with weights/brass exactly where I want it and the 4 gear transmission in mod and the an aluminum chassis I've milled myself with the 3 gear transmission in stock. Both cars run shorties at the weight mentioned above so I can play with the bias more easily track to track.

I have yet to play with the lite chassis, but my guess is that its increased flex over the stock one is more ideal and then adding some brass in the rear to change the bias/overall weight would be than the way to go.