R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #14086
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,745
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Do most people run blinky with a mod motor and gear up if needed etc? Or do you use any esc timing? Thanks. I have a 8.5 geared 23/78 in blinky and seems to go good. Just wondering what most people tend to run. Thanks.
blinky
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #14087
Tech Adept
 
KrAcOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 193
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Do most people run blinky with a mod motor and gear up if needed etc? Or do you use any esc timing? Thanks. I have a 8.5 geared 23/78 in blinky and seems to go good. Just wondering what most people tend to run. Thanks.
I run my Mod car in blinky as well. Novak GTB3/8.5 24/78. Always turning down my radio so I can drive it. ;p
__________________
AE:RC10B5ML,B5M,B4.2,B44.3,B3,RC10TeamRPM,Rc10T,RC10B64D
Yokomo:YZ-2 LD,YZ-2 DT,YZ-4 and MX4
LRH RACEWAY So. Cal
KrAcOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #14088
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Hi all, just wanted to follow up as promised, managed to hit the track for an hour this morning after all the changes, car is running a lot better and feels planted. Now just need more track time to shake off the rust and learn my race craft again.

17.5T motor came off the track at around 40c/104f after around 10 minutes of running.

Feel I might need stiffer springs and heavier shock oil as I bottomed out on a couple of jumps.
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #14089
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
Hi all, just wanted to follow up as promised, managed to hit the track for an hour this morning after all the changes, car is running a lot better and feels planted. Now just need more track time to shake off the rust and learn my race craft again.

17.5T motor came off the track at around 40c/104f after around 10 minutes of running.

Feel I might need stiffer springs and heavier shock oil as I bottomed out on a couple of jumps.
What gearing were you at?

As for setup, you're fairly close with the stock setup. I would check out either Kody or Spencer's setup from the stock nationals that were just held there. This will leave setup out of the equation for you.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #14090
Tech Elite
 
Blitzrockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B.C Canada
Posts: 2,181
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #14091
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
What gearing were you at?

As for setup, you're fairly close with the stock setup. I would check out either Kody or Spencer's setup from the stock nationals that were just held there. This will leave setup out of the equation for you.
I had to use 30x69 as my 72 spur had not arrived in time, it's why I was careful with the running today. The motor was warm to the touch and measured between 100 and 115.
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #14092
3de
Tech Apprentice
 
3de's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca.
Posts: 99
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
Anyone making a better plastic puck than the oranges? Feel like I have to change my pucks after every 3 rounds of racing in mod with an 8.5. They really don't hold up at all for mod.
Okay, so shiny it is I guess.. And then sounds like the pucks need a little grease?
__________________
I would like to thank my sponsors.. My wallet.
3de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #14093
Tech Initiate
 
loloscorsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
Default

Hey guys, my local circuit has loose soil with low grip, I wonder if the b5m work well or if the ideal car for this area would be a b5 (rear).


Thank you!
__________________
>>> Team Associated B5M <<<
>>> Tamiya F104 Exotec <<<
loloscorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #14094
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
I had to use 30x69 as my 72 spur had not arrived in time, it's why I was careful with the running today. The motor was warm to the touch and measured between 100 and 115.
I wouldn't go jumping leaps and bounds to change gearing if you're crashing a lot - however I would look into gearing up, and continue to keep an eye on temps.

Is the car massively easier to drive with the 17.5?
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #14095
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloscorsa View Post
Hey guys, my local circuit has loose soil with low grip, I wonder if the b5m work well or if the ideal car for this area would be a b5 (rear).


Thank you!
Go back a page and read.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #14096
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,945
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloscorsa View Post
Hey guys, my local circuit has loose soil with low grip, I wonder if the b5m work well or if the ideal car for this area would be a b5 (rear).


Thank you!
we had a whole discussion on this a page or 2 back.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #14097
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I wouldn't go jumping leaps and bounds to change gearing if you're crashing a lot - however I would look into gearing up, and continue to keep an eye on temps.

Is the car massively easier to drive with the 17.5?
Wasn't crashing that much at all really, over shot a couple of corners on longer straights initially and just some hard landings on all four wheels that felt it bottomed a little. Increased the drag brake and adjusted the diff a touch (very minor tweaks) to assist with cornering.

Will check out recent setups and to compare.

A lot easier to drive thanks, will get lots of practice under me in stock first.

Looking to get a set of tires for asphalt so I can setup some cones and practice outside. JC white compounds appear to be best suited to that.
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #14098
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,945
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
Wasn't crashing that much at all really, over shot a couple of corners on longer straights initially and just some hard landings on all four wheels that felt it bottomed a little. Increased the drag brake and adjusted the diff a touch (very minor tweaks) to assist with cornering.

Will check out recent setups and to compare.

A lot easier to drive thanks, will get lots of practice under me in stock first.

Looking to get a set of tires for asphalt so I can setup some cones and practice outside. JC white compounds appear to be best suited to that.
proline makes a street tires. I forget the name, but that would probably be your best bet. I think they are taller so watch your gearing and temps. the street can be hard on motors
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #14099
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 247
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de View Post
Okay, so shiny it is I guess.. And then sounds like the pucks need a little grease?
I have over 30 runs on my orginal orange pucks on high grip conditions, I use motorcycle chain wax lube on the pucks, seems to be working, I also clean them after each track day.
Rhett McNair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #14100
Tech Addict
 
mschumi101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago-land/U of Wisconsin-Madison
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
Wasn't crashing that much at all really, over shot a couple of corners on longer straights initially and just some hard landings on all four wheels that felt it bottomed a little. Increased the drag brake and adjusted the diff a touch (very minor tweaks) to assist with cornering.

Will check out recent setups and to compare.

A lot easier to drive thanks, will get lots of practice under me in stock first.

Looking to get a set of tires for asphalt so I can setup some cones and practice outside. JC white compounds appear to be best suited to that.
Proline Dirt Hawg tires are for pavement and bashing. They are M2 compound which is their Medium/hard compound. The front tires they make are for both 2 and 4wd buggies, but still fit and work on 2wd front rims. I know Amain has them listed under 4wd in the tire section, but the bag says its for all buggies.
__________________
Associated B5M Reedy 7.5 | Xray T4 ORCA 17.5
Orange Powered!
Previous: B44.2 | TC5R | TC5 | B4.2 | B44 | Slash | E4RS | TA05R | TT01
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:17 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net