R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 05-10-2015, 04:51 AM   #13651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixrc10 View Post
How much better is the lite compared to the b5m? For stock racing. Give reasons please
I have both the B5M and the B5M Lite.

When I went to the three gear transmission, the car came alive for me. I was always looking for a bit more steering and I seem to have found that with the three gear. Might be personal driving style. I do a lot of on-road pancar, so I think the chassis runs flatter with the three gear and adds some of those steering characteristics. Keep in mind, this is stock racing. It's been suggested to me that I might like the four gear better with hotter motors. However, a 10.5 on carpet was stunningly good.

Not sure I would view the two transmission options as good or bad, better or worse, but as a tuning option.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #13652
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
So the spektrum s6270 servo won't work in a b5m? The way the servo mounts need to be put on get in the way of the wire.

Anyone know for sure they won't work?
Yes the mounts are in the way of the wirers but this servo will still work. I have used it but went back to the 6040 just because the larger servo gave it more steering. (added weight to the front). A liter car is not always a faster car!
8ight E 4.0
Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #13653
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_gtc View Post
On a high bite or med-high bite surface... yes. Outdoors and medium to med low grip I would say no. 4 gear would be better.
I could not disagree anymore. I run on a medium to low bite outdoor track that develops a layer of dust. In modified I couldn't be happier with the rear grip and the on power steering of the 3 gear. Both the MIP 3 gear and the plastic setup do a tremendous job of "freeing" the car up.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #13654
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I could not disagree anymore. I run on a medium to low bite outdoor track that develops a layer of dust. In modified I couldn't be happier with the rear grip and the on power steering of the 3 gear. Both the MIP 3 gear and the plastic setup do a tremendous job of "freeing" the car up.

Depends what you consider medium. I am sure what you would call a low-medium grip track in AZ. To us up here in Canada would be med - hIgh.

I tried the 3 gear here and hated it. Indoors worked well. Outdoors unless its a sugar track with really high grip I wouldn't use it. But that is my preference.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #13655
Tech Apprentice

3 gear is superior in every way.....set your car up for the traction...that's why we have such tunable suspension...

If you're accelerating too hard and getting wheel spin, gear taller or use the slipper (that's what they designed them for)
NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #13656
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How do the shock limiters effect the cars handling? Im running 2 limiters front and back. By going down to one in the front, will that give me more traction in the rear?
motoman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #13657
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWracer77 View Post
3 gear is superior in every way.....set your car up for the traction...that's why we have such tunable suspension...

If you're accelerating too hard and getting wheel spin, gear taller or use the slipper (that's what they designed them for)
All three of those statements are misleading.

The four gear transmission has it's place depending on conditions - it's a tuning option, just like tuning the various components of your suspension.

One uses throttle to control wheel spin. Gearing is typically determined by the balance of infield (corner speed) and straight line speed. Motor temps I suppose as well.

The slipper was never intended as a traction tuning device in and of itself. The slipper is there to protect the transmission gears and ball diff, during landings.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #13658
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswo View Post
I'm a little confused I have a b5, b5m and now a lite. My question is I'm running on carpet not ozite and b5 has 3 mm trailing axle b5m has 4 mm and built the lite with 2 mm but the steering felt real slow on entry so I changed to 3 mm and it got better but I thought 2 mm was supposed to be the most aggressive and yes I made the changes to axle placement and ackerman.
What kind of tires and caster angle? Did you change anything else at the same time?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #13659
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Anyone have the part numbers for the correct Ball stud and spacers to run the alumium rear hubs?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #13660
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
What kind of tires and caster angle? Did you change anything else at the same time?
Same tires and shocks found out the servo was a millimeter too far forward and was barely rubbing the link.
jswo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #13661
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

anyone have the part #'s for the lite front axles?

Timezone I & II | RoseCityScaleRacing | Premier RC Raceway
Photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #13662
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Anyone have the part numbers for the correct Ball stud and spacers to run the alumium rear hubs?
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c91047/p203848
Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #13663
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Yes the mounts are in the way of the wirers but this servo will still work. I have used it but went back to the 6040 just because the larger servo gave it more steering. (added weight to the front). A liter car is not always a faster car!
Holy crap. The mount must have been super cramped
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #13664
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default B5M traction problems

Can't seem to get any rear bite car no matter what seems loose in the corners and on the straight running on packed clay but likes to get dusty and slick instantly
Mac126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #13665
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

It's all about the tires...
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote