R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #12376
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

No spectator fees. There were food fees, but I don't think anyone followed that. I saw outside food being brought in by the arm load. You were supposed to have a "wrist band" if you paid for outside food rights. I saw one wrist band all weekend and lots of food. Honestly, I think the biggest thing to "hurt" the turnout, was the lack of a T5M truck. I know a bunch of people were banking on running it in 17.5 and 13.5, but most backed out after there was no truck. There was tons of racers and spectators. And everyone seemed to be having a good time. The only thing that "might" have made things better was a mister system. The owner said the "should" be a mister system in for Nats. IMO, the traction was fine and some people were being babies. I drive on the same track as everyone else and I liked it. When it was wet, it was very hard to drive on. People were afraid of the traction rolls and short course trucks looked miserable. Just flipping in every corner. IMO, the track was great for the last day of quals and Mains. The track crew did a great job. A few people were surprised by the lack of door prizes. For an event with TONS of sponsors. MIP was the only one with goodies and they handed out foam tape to everyone. At big race last year at the new SRS, there were so many door prizes that pretty much everyone got stuff. Not a big deal, but a few people were surprised. Also, I was told by the owner that practice days would have a fee, but that never happened. So that was a nice cost savings.

Also, I ran the same set of primes all Week. I tried a new set in practice Saturday morning to see how they felt. However, I decided to keep my broken in tires on the car. I ran the Avid 2.2 wheels, with clay primes and JC Dirt Tech inserts. The Avid wheels really held up well. I expected the ribbing to twist like all of my JC/AKA/proline wheels, but after 6 days and many many packs on them, they were straight as an arrow. The foams softened up a little, but that was fine, because traction was dropping off from the first day of practice. Most guys seemed really happy with the money saved on tires compared to the last few years of the sugars cactus races.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #12377
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
What's bad with the original?
It's heavy, too stiff for most surfaces in the US, and if you tweak or bend it at all, your car will never handle right again until you figure it out.
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #12378
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Is this the chassis that has the B4 front end?
This is yes the same chassis but now i installed the b5m front end.
Very small diffrent in the holes.
I dont understand wy any firm has done this kind of chassis for the market yet??
The handling is so promising that I have to do one more chassis for testing to an top driver from Europe, and he is really NOBODY he is an former really big race champion.
Jerzi
jerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #12379
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

So, lets talk about chassis. As many people know, I am NOT an xfactory fan boy..not even a little bit. But.... Alex Kreig's car looked REALLY good at SRS this weekend. He TQ's with the xfactory chassis, but managed to blow out in the main. I talked to him about his car. He was using some soon to be released chassis stiffeners for the infinity chassis for higher bite tracks.

So what is wrong with the stock chassis? I dont know, but I will say that B5M with the infinity chassis looked good. But in the end, he got beat badly by a 13 year old girl. So maybe the driver wins the races and not the chassis, lol.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #12380
Suspended

So wy in earth doesnt xfactor not make the bottom chassis like me. 4mm thick and weights arround 110gr and is stiff like a rock.
will work very good on carpet etc hardbite tracks.
jerzi
jerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #12381
Tech Regular

Why would they make a rock solid chassis when its already got one...Not everyone drives on clay. I'm lucky enough to have both, but in the summer I'm putting in as much flex I can into the car...In winter not so much. Xfactory just gives options
Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #12382
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzi View Post
So wy in earth doesnt xfactor not make the bottom chassis like me. 4mm thick and weights arround 110gr and is stiff like a rock.
will work very good on carpet etc hardbite tracks.
jerzi
Because no one except you is wanting a stiffer chassis.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #12383
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
This is yes the same chassis but now i installed the b5m front end.
Very small diffrent in the holes.
I dont understand wy any firm has done this kind of chassis for the market yet??
The handling is so promising that I have to do one more chassis for testing to an top driver from Europe, and he is really NOBODY he is an former really big race champion.
Jerzi
Like these other guys, I'm trying to understand what problems with the stock chassis are addressed by your custom one.

I think it's cool that you made it, especially with the kickup built in, but I like learning how to use new materials to build things.

I'm racing mod on high grip carpet and I'm very happy with how my car handles with the stock chassis.

When you say "this kind of chassis", what do you mean by that? Carbon fiber with kickup? Assuming you are laying up the chassis by hand, my guess would be that cost to produce compared to what people are willing to pay is the reason you're breaking new ground here.

I haven't had a chance to find your build threads that people mentioned. Are you using a mold to ensure your chassis is perfectly flat and square? Are you brushing on epoxy and using a roller to work it into the cloth or are you using some type of vacuum system to be sure there are no voids?

The fiberglass subwoofer enclosure I built for my car came out awesome. Sounds great with the minimum amount of room taken from my trunk. But with the time I put into it, I would have to charge $1000 to build one for someone else, and that wouldn't include the actual subwoofer.

-Chris
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #12384
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
What chassis do you have in the car. If you have the originsl one so how stiff do you like your car is if you compere it with an rock.
jerzi
I didn't realize "A rock" was an exact scientific term.

I run the SLRC, and really liked the flex it added. I owned the Xfactory chassis, and never ended up testing it unfortunately before selling it. It is even more flex than the SLRC, which some faulted it. It looks though with the newly added stiffeners they've produced it could be very good.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #12385
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Aluminum servo horn

Looking for recommendations for an aluminum servo horn for savox servo. Tired of stripping out the plastic ones.
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #12386
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone17 View Post
Looking for recommendations for an aluminum servo horn for savox servo. Tired of stripping out the plastic ones.
I HAVE THE LOSI 25t aluminum horn from the b 22
BTW... I love that servo... .04 speed...
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-image.jpg  

Last edited by Moyanator609; 03-16-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Additional description
Moyanator609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #12387
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Along these same lines, I tried installing the "F" servo arm from the kit onto my Savox 1258, but it won't fit. I thought (and read) that the Savox and Futaba shared the same spline count (25?), so I'm not sure why it doesn't fit. I may be able to force it on, but that's just a problem waiting to happen if it get damaged in the process.

Has anyone else had luck installing a plastic AE servo arm onto a Savox? If so, which arm works?

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #12388
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
I like the Losi arm. Havent had any problems with it at all
WonTonsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #12389
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Along these same lines, I tried installing the "F" servo arm from the kit onto my Savox 1258, but it won't fit. I thought (and read) that the Savox and Futaba shared the same spline count (25?), so I'm not sure why it doesn't fit. I may be able to force it on, but that's just a problem waiting to happen if it get damaged in the process.

Has anyone else had luck installing a plastic AE servo arm onto a Savox? If so, which arm works?

Thanks!
Tommy
The plastic horn is just fine. That new plastic is a bit small but a bit of force works just fine. But i did switch to that team losi one and it amazing.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #12390
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyanator609 View Post
The plastic horn is just fine. That new plastic is a bit small but a bit of force works just fine. But i did switch to that team losi one and it amazing.
Thanks! I'm glad to know it's not just me. I'm running an aluminum arm now, but was thinking it might be overkill. Guess I'll just hold on to it now.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote