R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #12361
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
I made my statement because as a consumer I see a poorly designed,cut and drilled chassis by a vendor whos marketing it as a pretty good upgrade while blatantly violating the rules of selling outside the forsale forum after being warned more than once.
I made my statement because of something that happened at our local indoor track back in early February.

There are quite a few of us running the B5M there and 5 of us were standing around talking about the buggy. At least 4 of us are members here on RC Tech. I don't remember the subject all that well but I suggested checking out this thread for an answer or advice.

Two different guys in that small group told me they do not participate in this thread in any way because of the general attitude in here. I'm phrasing that in a much nicer way than they did, by the way.

It's pretty noticeable in here at times compared to other threads I follow from less widespread brands. And I really doubt some of you would dare speak to people at your tracks the way you do in this thread.

-Chris
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up

Last edited by iScream; 03-15-2015 at 02:40 PM.
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #12362
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi im wondering if running a square brick battery would make this car more stable and give more traction over a shorty or saddle packs? thanks
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #12363
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzi View Post
If i want to show up my car that have some diffrent part than the original, where should i put it so you dont think iam marketing my parts i have done for this car??
Jerzi
If you show up at the track with a custom chassis that you made your self, feel proud. I would. I have. I have a mostly custom short course that I built myself that looks like nothing else out there with the body off and performs really well given my driving ability. I bought a b5m a couple months ago immediately started turning it into a short course. Didn't get as much following in the build thread as I expected but I'm still going to finish it. Keep doing what you are doing, and keep sharing. It's interesting to see different ways to do things.
I feel like we're at the point in the hobby where everybody just buys kits and goes racing. The days of custom building are over. Not much innovative coming out anymore. Just the same features put together slightly different depending on the manufacturer.

Nick

My build threads for reference. First couple pages are a little sketchy but it gets better

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/478917-my-rc10t-sc-conversion.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/861302-team-associated-b5-short-course.html
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #12364
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lately i've been racing my B5M's with one setup inline (battery inline) and one standard. I find the inline car results in slightly quicker lap times AND feels better around our track. However I make more mistakes with it. The standard car feels smoother or something but i'm always wanting it to different things at certain parts of the track. But I very rarely make mistakes with. During our mod A-mains I can race it without error.

Just an observation. I'm gonna go back to my standard car and just deal with slower, consistent races.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #12365
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
I made my statement because as a consumer I see a poorly designed,cut and drilled chassis by a vendor whos marketing it as a pretty good upgrade while blatantly violating the rules of selling outside the forsale forum after being warned more than once.

He didn't offer it up for sale. He also didn't say it was a race ready design. Guy has been one offing parts for guys to try near him since the car came out. He never pushes selling them. In fact usually I see him saying its not for sale and he does it for the enjoyment.

You must dislike Kinwald as well... he is the master of hacking things apart and trying different ideas.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #12366
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Lately i've been racing my B5M's with one setup inline (battery inline) and one standard. I find the inline car results in slightly quicker lap times AND feels better around our track. However I make more mistakes with it. The standard car feels smoother or something but i'm always wanting it to different things at certain parts of the track. But I very rarely make mistakes with. During our mod A-mains I can race it without error.

Just an observation. I'm gonna go back to my standard car and just deal with slower, consistent races.

Tried inline on mine recently and didn't like it at all. Immediately went back to sideways. Found inline made the car darty. Was quick to respond but also unpredictable.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #12367
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post

My inline experience so far, I really liked it in 17.5
In mod, with an 8.5, it could be pretty hard to drive at times. But I could out accelerate others because they would start to wheelie. And that's on med grip clay! Also keep in mind that I run a carbon chassis so my rear end is wayyyy more planted than normal B5M
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #12368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default It could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
hi im wondering if running a square brick battery would make this car more stable and give more traction over a shorty or saddle packs? thanks
I have not personally ran the full size brick pack in my B5m but a teammate of mine was running one and said it settles the car down and makes it more stable. I did find that he was running one spring rate up from us on the rear end to compensate for the added weight.

Hope this helps.

Alan
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #12369
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
Since the track (my home track) is frozen or near frozen during the winter time I make my cars as heavy as possible. The brick definitely helped but you also need to set the car up differently. It also depends on the surface, traction, and most important....stock or mod? If traction is already good on your track I don't think its value added. If you run mod it doesn't matter as much.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #12370
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone have an update on the factory lite release? I know that a lot of things have been held up due to the port strikes, but just wanted to see if someone has heard anything without looking through hundreds of pages!

Thanks in advance.
AZ Militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #12371
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Militia View Post
Anyone have an update on the factory lite release? I know that a lot of things have been held up due to the port strikes, but just wanted to see if someone has heard anything without looking through hundreds of pages!

Thanks in advance.
Tower changed the expected date from mid March to early April a few days ago. Supposedly somebody called associated and they didn't even know where they were in transit.

After trying to wait for the release and flipping back and forth between the b5m, the hobby pro, the durango, and even the sworkz 1/8 buggy, I finally made my order and decided not settle and chose the B5m factory lite! I hope Tower is wrong and they get shipped before April. I ordered the Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 with a 17.5 and an 8.5. Also picked up the new Hitec Lynx 4s, I haven't really heard much about it. I hope to post a video or maybe a write up on this radio.
jjahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #12372
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Well Cactus is over and I must say, it was a good time. The track was changing in traction levels, but I left my setup where I had it from 3 days of practice. The only "change" I did was rebuilding my diff. BTW, REALLY AE!!!, one freaking diff ring in the package, lol. My car was a little loose in the rear for the mains, but honestly, that was better than traction rolling or pushing. The best part of the weekend, besides watching my kid race, was watching a local 13 year old girl win 17.5 buggy with authority. Also, the A-main ONLY had B5M's. Heck the B-main, might have only had B5M's. It was by far the most popular buggy in stock. Probably in mod too, but a bunch of TLR in mod, with a few other brands sprinkled in. As far as the cheating? It is stock...what do you expect, lol. Apparently, mod guys were breaking the rules also, lol.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #12373
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I watched that stock A-main when Kamryn Ayers got the lead and won. I was watching with my daughter's brother who is 11 and he was really cheering once we realized Kamryn was a girl. It was awesome.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #12374
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Well Cactus is over and I must say, it was a good time. The track was changing in traction levels, but I left my setup where I had it from 3 days of practice. The only "change" I did was rebuilding my diff. BTW, REALLY AE!!!, one freaking diff ring in the package, lol. My car was a little loose in the rear for the mains, but honestly, that was better than traction rolling or pushing. The best part of the weekend, besides watching my kid race, was watching a local 13 year old girl win 17.5 buggy with authority. Also, the A-main ONLY had B5M's. Heck the B-main, might have only had B5M's. It was by far the most popular buggy in stock. Probably in mod too, but a bunch of TLR in mod, with a few other brands sprinkled in. As far as the cheating? It is stock...what do you expect, lol. Apparently, mod guys were breaking the rules also, lol.
Did there seem to be any impact from the spectator entrance fee and food fee? I saw all the links several days ago but didn't follow it all to see if anything changed.
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #12375
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzi View Post
B5m kuch chassis almost ready.
jerzi
Is this the chassis that has the B4 front end?