R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #1066
Tech Legend

You guys are gona see Lunsford Ti rods on my ride when it gets here.

Think fins belong on tuna. Lol
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #1067
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
You guys are gona see Lunsford Ti rods on my ride when it gets here.

Think fins belong on tuna. Lol
Yeah, me too. I bought the RM assuming the outdoor guys would buy it for this summer
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #1068
Tech Legend

Gticlay

If I was running outdoors ?

Would forget the B5 & be packing the new Rc8 with a bad azz OS motor.
Seen it yet?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #1069
Tech Initiate

at the Moment the german shop "HK Modellbau" lists 27th of march as the date we ( at least the Germans) can buy it
Ice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #1070
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
It is angled that way so the link will clear the shock at full lock.
I posted it in both forums because nobody anserwed when i first posted it.
That explains it. Didnt even think about shock clearance... I have the jconcept rear angled ones on my sc10.
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #1071
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I want to apologize again if this has been answered. Alright, this has been one hell of a week to try and decide on a buggy. At first, I was down with getting the b 4.2 w/centro conversion off Amain. (Yes wild cherry, I have switched my mind multiple times lol) After talking with a few people and Cavalieri down at Nitro Challenge, the odds are that parts won't be stocked anymore for the 4.2 hence why I'm going with the B5. This probably has been beaten to death, but here is my question. I'm planning on running mostly indoor. Will I reap the benefits of the mid motor? Or should I stick with the rear motor? People tell me that the rear motor is easier to drive, while the mid motor is a bit more aggressive. I just want your take on this so I can actually put some money down on either buggy.

Here is the track layout and type of dirt. It's pretty hard packed, but I know it isn't blue grooved. I still tend to slide out sometimes with my sc10 w/m4 ions in rear and m3 in the front.

http://youtu.be/UkQWqe5tBfs
"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." ~Ayrton Senna
r888ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #1072
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Well, the B5M is not out yet, so no one can really say for sure. not all mid motors are created equal. I dont think you have owned a buggy before, but in general the b5 RM will have way less steering than your sc10. The sc10 had some much steering, I found it hard to drive unless I was on really high bite. From my experiance, if you really like the aggressiveness of your sc10, get the MM car. If you find it hard to drive and overly responsive, get the RM b5. The RM will definitely be more calm. Keep in mine, AE recent won both the JC race and the motorama with a RM config against MM cars. So its not like the MM is a sure thing winner. But, keep in mind, SRS is supposed to be indoors soon and they are promising a high bite surface. SO, IMO the MM car. If I move to PHX later this year, I plan to run MM. When I ran RM at W3 I could not seem to get the steering I wanted RM. You know the pros and cons. Do you want and aggressive car or a more forgiving car? Once you can answer that, you will have your answer.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1073
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Well, the B5M is not out yet, so no one can really say for sure. not all mid motors are created equal. I dont think you have owned a buggy before, but in general the b5 RM will have way less steering than your sc10. The sc10 had some much steering, I found it hard to drive unless I was on really high bite. From my experiance, if you really like the aggressiveness of your sc10, get the MM car. If you find it hard to drive and overly responsive, get the RM b5. The RM will definitely be more calm. Keep in mine, AE recent won both the JC race and the motorama with a RM config against MM cars. So its not like the MM is a sure thing winner. But, keep in mind, SRS is supposed to be indoors soon and they are promising a high bite surface. SO, IMO the MM car. If I move to PHX later this year, I plan to run MM. When I ran RM at W3 I could not seem to get the steering I wanted RM. You know the pros and cons. Do you want and aggressive car or a more forgiving car? Once you can answer that, you will have your answer.
I definitely agree with you at W3. Even with the ions I was running it felt loose at times. With the ball diff now it feels much better. I do like the aggressive feel and quickness. What's weird is that I thought the rear motor buggies I drove a few weeks ago had more turning and grip that my sc10. At first I thought it was too responsive once I added the Savox 1258, but with the MT4 I got it made a big difference and I'm able to control it better than the stock rtr transmitter.
"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." ~Ayrton Senna

Last edited by r888ghost; 02-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
r888ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #1074
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Gticlay

If I was running outdoors ?

Would forget the B5 & be packing the new Rc8 with a bad azz OS motor.
Seen it yet?
Nope. But I don't have time in the summer anyway...
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #1075
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Good news...could indicate the wait is almost over.
Not sure where your located or where you are on the "local" Preorder list, but my wait is less than weeks.

Kody was dominate again tonight with his, and Sean C was very effective in stock buggy for someone who had never driven the current layout and just finished building his.
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #1076
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Bill...

You missed it. I drove it for a few minutes after our stock buggy A main race. The mid motor B5m was really good. Sean C had a good baseline setup on it and I even got a few tips from Kody N. on driving the Reedy Race layout.

The shocks and suspension were really really good. The buggy landed the step on step off smooth and you can get back on the power faster ... The stock setup Sean had was just as good as my Centro. I know with some more laps I will be faster with the B5m. I cant wait to get the new buggy.

http://www.liverc.com/view_result_fi...rand=644851506
Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #1077
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbckevin View Post
Bill...

You missed it. I drove it for a few minutes after our stock buggy A main race. The mid motor B5m was really good. Sean C had a good baseline setup on it and I even got a few tips from Kody N. on driving the Reedy Race layout.

The shocks and suspension were really really good. The buggy landed the step on step off smooth and you can get back on the power faster ... The stock setup Sean had was just as good as my Centro. I know with some more laps I will be faster with the B5m. I cant wait to get the new buggy.

http://www.liverc.com/view_result_fi...rand=644851506
Same here!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #1078
Tech Initiate

I have read so much information about this and I am not sure wheter it`s wrong or right.

Can you drive an MM car as good as an RM on low grip? I heard that MM might take over RM because it is more like an allrounder.

sorry for the captial letters, my system changes automatically ( german :P)
Ice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #1079
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Take over RM? Very unlikely IMHO. There will always be a market for both.
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #1080
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice22 View Post
I have read so much information about this and I am not sure wheter it`s wrong or right.

Can you drive an MM car as good as an RM on low grip? I heard that MM might take over RM because it is more like an allrounder.

sorry for the captial letters, my system changes automatically ( german :P)
You'll probably want one of each if you race a lot of different tracks/conditions.