R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #10471
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Put spacers under the ballstud up front (lower the roll center)
WonTonsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #10472
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I need a couple 10mm ball studs, would any 10mm metric ball stud work?

Also, what is your preferred method for building ball diffs? Usually I dump all the balls and rings out and clean them with break cleaner, but I have heard of people dumping the balls right into the diff gear without cleaning them or touching them anywhere else other than the bag. Good idea? Or should I just stick to cleaning them? I have never had a problem with my diffs, usually last a long time, just thought not cleaning them would be more efficient and possibly better for the balls.

Steve Stricker fanboy.
Slam Dekker.
Long hair, don't care, Clay Matthews.
TJ Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #10473
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I don't bother cleaning them.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #10474
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think a guy should clean his balls.
Harry Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #10475
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I agree, dirty balls are bad.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #10476
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I've got some tires that vary in diameter. Just by changing tires it affects ride height by 2mm. What do you guys feel is more important. Keeping the ride height the same so CG is not changed or leaving the shock collars in the same position so the arm angles stay the same? Thoughts and theories please...
Bartman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #10477
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone using the gold front brace for weight? wondering if its worth it to buy? thanks
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #10478
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
anyone using the gold front brace for weight? wondering if its worth it to buy? thanks
Not on clay tracks at least in my area
deftones.jt@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #10479
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Hart View Post

Also, what is your preferred method for building ball diffs? Usually I dump all the balls and rings out and clean them with break cleaner, but I have heard of people dumping the balls right into the diff gear without cleaning them or touching them anywhere else other than the bag. Good idea? Or should I just stick to cleaning them? I have never had a problem with my diffs, usually last a long time, just thought not cleaning them would be more efficient and possibly better for the balls.
Clean them always. I double up a blue shop towel and saturate it with cleaner and dump the new diff balls on it and with my finger on them, roll them around on the saturated towel. clean and they don't roll around uncontrollably. Rings are the same way, clean them. they usually have a thin coat of oil to prevent rust. need to remove that.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #10480
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Hart View Post

I always take a small container and put some denatured alcohol in it and put the balls in that, then take the rings and inspect them for which side is the flatest, next take some 500grit wet sandpaper on a flat surface glass works best and put the flatest side of the washer down then place the female drive down on it and run it in a figue 8 till you can see the washer getting dull on the entire side thats being sanded. This decks it perfectly flat and flush. Do this for both washer. Then build your diff as the directions say using tweezers to remove the balls from the alcohol bath. Make sure the sanded side of the washers are on the ball side.
Perfect smooth diff everytime.
Drifter_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #10481
Tech Adept

Also make sure to clean the washers with alcohol after decking them.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #10482
Tech Adept

Anyone have some chassis setup recommendations for carpet. Right now its box stock other then im running 37.5 front oil.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #10483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL, when I do a ball diff, I just wipe out the gear with a toothbrush and paper towel -- just get most of the old grease out. I rub the diff and drive balls in my fingers to get the grease off, wipe the outdrives and rings out, and stuff a rag down the outdrive where the thrust goes and get all the grease out of it. Then I wash my hands. Serious, I don't clean anything with cleaners of any sort. Just wipe it all down decent and make a best effort. then I sand the rings down to get rid of grooves with 320, then 600. Same with the thrust rings. Build with fresh lube and break in really well on the bench. My diffs are always super smooth, last, and my car is super dialed. I rarely have to ever replace balls, and pretty much never replace rings between buying new kits. I used to do all that jazz trying to clean things super clean, but the grease catches all the grime so just wipe the old grease off. I'd rather spend my time sanding the rings up with a good 600-800 grit fresh surface. That and break-in so you don't go out and grenade the diff on the first run is the key.

My $0.02 on that.

Wayne
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #10484
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Most recent setup

Most recent setup from doing droop tuning at Fastlane tonight. I found that 37.5 made my car feel really good in the front over the weekend, so today I watered the track, and found that it was better than 35 when the track was tacky, but the car still felt too twitchy. I noticed that nobody on the team has really ever ran 37.5 oil in the front, so I decided it must be front droop that was to blame. That it was. I ended up back at 20mm, really liked it, then went back to 35wt and the steering came back and was predictable and not twitchy. I also tried more and less rear droop and found that I preferred 26.75 in rear. Believe it or not, the difference between 26.5 and 26.75 in the rear was pretty apparent. It wasn't make or break, but you could tell, and one was definitely better than the other at our track.

I also have been doing some tire testing and returned to running ions instead of electron fronts because the ions are far more stable and predictable due to having denser tread at the edges and the nice stability rib on the sides.

I have given up completely on closed cell front foams on 2wd. They just don't fill up the tires or last. They fill up the tires when the tires are new, but after a few club races of traction compound, the tires expand enough that even new closed cell foam doesn't fill them up completely and they slide around. I've gone back to 2/3 - 3/4 of a rear open cell foam cut down and profiled by hand. Slightly softer than a closed cell front, but the entire tire fills up firm. Seriously feels so much better on the track and makes re-foaming fronts a breeze. They also last about the same as a closed cell for me. I've compared AKA and blue PL.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-rc10b5m_wayne_20150113.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #10485
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Help please! When running Aluminum Rear Hubs on B5M with B5 rear arms, what way should the 0 degree etch face? front or rear?

Thanks
Disarm is offline   Reply With Quote