R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree10Likes

Old 12-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #9976
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

From Schelle's Facebook account:

"Hopefully Santa is bringing us some Schelle Aluminum Rear Arm Mounts for our B5Ms .....coming soon!"
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #9977
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

http://visionracingproducts.com/Asso...Pistons_c6.htm

"We're Excited to announce the release of our 'X' Piston for R/C cars. This is our first product of many to come. We have spent months on developing and testing the design and functionality of it over a variety of conditions. Our main focus was to produce a piston that utilizes the familiar aspects of pistons, such as hole size and number, yet create a condition where the compression stroke and rebound stroke are tunable seperately. It is common knowledge in the MotorCycle Racing industry that these elements are present in their shock designs, and in fact have them tuned to be quicker rebound than compression. This increases the time the tire is on the ground by getting it down quicker and thus results in faster lap times as the tire is driving the machine forward when the tire is touching the surface. The rate of rebound is very important in that it not be too quick, or too slow. Our 'X' Pistons are designed to do exactly that. The 'Patent Pending' Design gives you a stock looking piston with the addition of a rebound system. If your set-up calls for 2 Hole 1.6 Pistons, you would still use the 2 Hole 1.6mm Game Changer Pistons. This will give you a very familiar compression stroke that will not change from what you had. The difference is that the Rebound stroke will be faster by a predetermined amount. This 'Quicker Rebound' will make a noticeable difference on the track for your buggy or truggy. In our testing we found that it did a variety of good things. First, the buggy will soak up bumps and ruts better. This made the car easier to drive and thus, we were able to drive it harder, faster. Second, the weight transfer of the car is quicker front to back as well as side to side. This made the car feel more responsive in cornering, braking, and acceleration. Third, we found that due to the unique weight transfer the shocks provided, we had more overall grip.....which made the car easier to drive, and thus we were able to drive it harder. And last, we found that the car is easier to jump farther, meaning we were able to clear obstacles we couldn't with stock pistons. This turned out to be a huge advantage in lap times. Overall, the average lap time was reduced by .5-.6 seconds for the average driver we had test the pistons. In one case, the difference was 1.2 seconds as the B5 we were running was able to triple a section it was only able to double before! These Pistons are very much a Game Changer!"
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #9978
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Threw an older cav setup on my b5m as a starting point after replacing my outdrives and bones. Wow. Car was great. Definitely was the issue. Got together with a bunch of my fellow locals and did some great heads up practice and am really loving the car now. Sweet.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #9979
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What was wrong with out drives and bones
Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #9980
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
What was wrong with out drives and bones
They were worn out and had developed meat hooks on the pins and recessions in the pin slots on the outdrives. This causes the rear suspension to bind up under acceleration (and brake to some degree). You can tell if you have the issue by taking a rear shock and wheel off and applying a twisting force by hand to the axle while moving the arm up and down. With new bones and outdrives, it will feel uniform and smooth. With old worn out ones, you will find places it sticks and binds up. This makes the car very difficult to drive and tune as it is just inconsistent.

The thing that got me is that the b5 bones and outdrives kinda hide it out of view. I really thought they were fine until I tested it and found they were binding up. Totally different car now.

Wayne
Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #9981
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
They were worn out and had developed meat hooks on the pins and recessions in the pin slots on the outdrives. This causes the rear suspension to bind up under acceleration (and brake to some degree). You can tell if you have the issue by taking a rear shock and wheel off and applying a twisting force by hand to the axle while moving the arm up and down. With new bones and outdrives, it will feel uniform and smooth. With old worn out ones, you will find places it sticks and binds up. This makes the car very difficult to drive and tune as it is just inconsistent.

The thing that got me is that the b5 bones and outdrives kinda hide it out of view. I really thought they were fine until I tested it and found they were binding up. Totally different car now.

Wayne
one benefit of pucks.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #9982
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
From Schelle's Facebook account:

"Hopefully Santa is bringing us some Schelle Aluminum Rear Arm Mounts for our B5Ms .....coming soon!"
He's developing some hinge pins to also work with this mount. Remove the CF cover and will be able to slide the hingepins out the back to make toe-in and antisquat changes with out taking the back end apart.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #9983
Tech Elite

have a marry Christmas
I going to run mod reedy 8.5 stock is to slow in the street
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #9984
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ive been out of rc for awhile now and just grabbed a b5m before they went out of stock.. Are you guys running the stiff servo saver spring? What other must have parts should I be aware of?
motoman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #9985
Tech Adept

huh? no spring in the steering assembly. there is no servo saver
2dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #9986
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)

I'm picking up a B5M tomorrow, Any tips or tricks I need to know about? Thanks in advance.

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #9987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Smiley" View Post
I'm picking up a B5M tomorrow, Any tips or tricks I need to know about? Thanks in advance.
Avid ti ball studs, aurora bearings, c&d plates, al top shaft, evo slipper, al bellcranks and ti turnbuckles and you will be set.

A few of those items should be easy to get for you.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #9988
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dialed View Post
huh? no spring in the steering assembly. there is no servo saver
No there is no servo saver, no need.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #9989
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Threw an older cav setup on my b5m as a starting point after replacing my outdrives and bones. Wow. Car was great. Definitely was the issue. Got together with a bunch of my fellow locals and did some great heads up practice and am really loving the car now. Sweet.
May I ask what setup it was and what tires you were on?
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #9990
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon1981 View Post
May I ask what setup it was and what tires you were on?
Cav's 2014 top gun setup with one thin pad in rear. The car was so good compared to what it had been, that I really didn't feel like I could change anything. I didn't know what to do with myself. It was just so good compared to what it had been that I felt like changing anything was just dumb. I'll have to see how it does racing.

I was running M4 electrons all around with the stock closed cell foams.