R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #9301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Jason S. and Travis L. went down. It looks like a nice facility
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #9302
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post
You want MY thoughts? I got a whole list of stuff im gocnna try tomorrow night. Gonna start with roll center(longer links and moving them down. Also gonna try the 0 antisquat thing, but not real sure how that will affect jumping. Definitely gonna go back to the standard rear arms. I dont think i like the angle the rear motor arms put into the shocks and camber link. I will keep ya posted to what I find out.

Travis
I said I didn't like the RM arms and everyone thought I was crazy. They don't land as well as the kit arms. On a loose loose track I would run the RM rear arms but that's about it. If the track has a decent amount of grip the kit arms should work fine.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #9303
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
I said I didn't like the RM arms and everyone thought I was crazy. They don't land as well as the kit arms. On a loose loose track I would run the RM rear arms but that's about it. If the track has a decent amount of grip the kit arms should work fine.
That being said, on a loose track just run a RM buggy, that's what they are made for. More traction run a MM buggy.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #9304
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
That being said, on a loose track just run a RM buggy, that's what they are made for. More traction run a MM buggy.
Well for those that dont have every model its a viable option, that was my point.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #9305
tc1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The track that we run on has grip but i dont think i would call it high grip. Me and A couple guys that run there are trying the mid motor cars and i think with a bit of time and work, they will probly be pretty good. I do have a rear motor car as well, i just want to actually have to work on the car to make it work cause it does feel faster.

Travis
tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #9306
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
yeah, I raced with travis in 2wd and 4wd
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #9307
Tech Adept

After looking at my new to me B5m, I noticed the rear arms were marked L and R, but on the wrong side. Looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure I have the RM arms on my MM car. What is the advantage to this? I'm going for Cav's national setup. Should I switch back to the MM rear arms?
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #9308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
After looking at my new to me B5m, I noticed the rear arms were marked L and R, but on the wrong side. Looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure I have the RM arms on my MM car. What is the advantage to this? I'm going for Cav's national setup. Should I switch back to the MM rear arms?
RM arms will have roll bar mounts on both sides. MM arms only have them on one side. The RM arms shorten the wheelbase slightly and get the weight back a touch for more bite.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #9309
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
RM arms will have roll bar mounts on both sides. MM arms only have them on one side. The RM arms shorten the wheelbase slightly and get the weight back a touch for more bite.
Will the MM arms give me anymore steering? My car is pushing more than I'm looking for more rear traction.
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #9310
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Will the MM arms give me anymore steering? My car is pushing more than I'm looking for more rear traction.
The B5 arms on the B5m will give you more rear traction, and less steering as it changes your overall weight bias to the rear. I am running the B5 arms on my m, and it did increase rear-end traction, but I feel I can push the car a bit harder. Definitely lowered my lap times.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #9311
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I raced with them as well along with Rusty and Sean and the track has never been nicer. It was almost as smooth as the norm in comparison to the UT tracks. Great facility and so is W3 where I ran on Wednesday.
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #9312
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I raced with them as well along with Rusty and Sean and the track has never been nicer. It was almost as smooth as the norm in comparison to the UT tracks. Great facility and so is W3 where I ran on Wednesday.
Im not sure who you are but right on man, I hope you guys had fun.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #9313
Tech Master

Quote:
Im not gonna say it will give you so much steering its gonna be crazy, but i did notice a feel in steering switching back and forth. I personally like the MM rear arms. There are other things you can do to gain forward bite if you need it but the kit arms I feel give the car a more predictable feel, just my experience.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #9314
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up B5M

The car is fantastic right out of the box! I run on a loose clay track and the only thing I noticed right off hand was it needed a little more on power steering. Just some camber link adjustments took care of that though. I would highly recommend the B5M and you can get it at Amain.com on sale this week for Black Friday. Also check out my review and others of it on Amain.
bblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #9315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
I am curious what your thoughts may be on the following:

My B5M is almost perfect. We run on a medium to lower traction surface indoors. The B5M has been fantastic taking the win last weekend. I would like to obtain just a little more rear grip or forward bite upon corner exit. The car tends to step out a little bit right when you pick up the throttle on exit. Keep in mind again car is really good and this can be managed with throttle, however I was curious what a few of you thing of these options... I will test some later this week as well.

1. Go down in rear spring rate to allow rear to drop faster on throttle currently on white and may try green.
2. Go down in rear shock oil. Currently at 30 may try 27.5 with the 1.6 piston
3. Go down to 0 degrees anti-squat vs current 1 degree
4. Go up in front spring rate as I am currently on green and may go up to white or gray.
5. Move battery back as it is one foam from back position now.

Being car is still rotating off corner would a role center change improve this as well. I am running Schelle Caster Plate in up position with no shims.

Thanks!

JRF
I race in Australia and we have a huge range of traction conditions, even on the one track on the one day! Ive found that the MM is as fast as the RM on loose conditions, and much faster as the grip comes up. We cant change cars during the day so I basically only run my 5M and tune it for the conditions.

The optimum change will depend on whether the car is still loaded up in the corner when you are applying power, or whether it is on the exit of a hairpin where it is a more pure forward acceleration situation.

I would sugggest:
- move the battery back (and/or use the brass c pivot). This will give the biggest change in forward traction on exit and after tight corners, but can cause some on power push in higher grip. Use RM arms with short wheelbase for a little more forward traction. (Note: when the track gets really slippery I use a brass D pivot, and sometimes 10-20g behind the tower. With an LP servo, this weight bias is similar to RM but with the mass more centralised. The great thing about MM is its easy to take weight off the rear as the grip comes up).
- for springs I use green/green in lower traction, white/white in med traction, and white fr/green rr for more rear traction. Using softer rear springs will help rear traction through the corner, not so much difference in a straight line.
- personally I prefer 2 deg anti-squat as it feels more direct on corner exit in lower traction, but can take away a little rear grip mid corner.
- A lower rear roll centre will help, but it sounds like you are already quite low.

I run rear ride height 1mm lower than the front, and the rear shocks on the inner hole of the tower.
Make sure the diff isnt too loose, as its much easier to diff out an MM than a RM.

Hope this helps.

ray
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote