R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 11-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #9181
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj2 View Post
I'm having some issues with my B5M turning. Seems like it may be lifting up too much in the front (I'm right at 1500mg.)

Do you think getting the brass bulkhead for the front would help with this?
Well......If you really want to see before spending a ton on brass, put 21g under the rack using lead. Easy and cheap. FYI, I get my "lead" stick on weight from Discount Tire, lol. Last few time, they just gave them to me for free
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #9182
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Well......If you really want to see before spending a ton on brass, put 21g under the rack using lead. Easy and cheap. FYI, I get my "lead" stick on weight from Discount Tire, lol. Last few time, they just gave them to me for free
Great idea! I'm thinking there just isn't enough weight up front...
millsj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #9183
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Maniac View Post
Weak as brakes.

Hoping someone could help me with a very unusual problem.

After installing a new 6.5t motor the other night (indoor carpet) I found that I had minimal braking power. I mean that near the end of the straight away after applying full brakes it would take about about 3-5 meters (9-15ft) to slow down enough to turn the corner. (had a few run-ins with the wall that night)

I have completed the following troubleshooting but still have the same problem.

- Re calibrated esc multiple times
- Reset all data on my TX then re calibrated esc
- Turned brakes EXP up to max
- Replaced lrp fwt esc with brand new novak gt3 esc
- Replaced motor with 8.5t used only a few times
- Replaced sensor cable with new cable
- Tested my TX with my B44.2 which has exact same esc and motor...brakes are LEATHAL as expected.

And finally clutching at straws..

- Tightened slipper all the way
- Loosened slipper all the way

After doing all this I still have very minimal brakes and its driving me crazy. Im about to pull apart my diff as a last resort but I cant imagine that has anything to do with braking power..

Anyway I thought i'd just ask everyone for some advice in in case im missing something obvious.

Thanks v much for your help
If you spins the tires with throttle in the air and slam the brake, does that at least stop them immediately? Your diff, or a broken hex pin? I would imagine either would show up more under power though.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #9184
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj2 View Post
I'm having some issues with my B5M turning. Seems like it may be lifting up too much in the front (I'm right at 1500mg.)

Do you think getting the brass bulkhead for the front would help with this?
Before throwing weight and money at it consider setup changes to control weight transfer such as moving rear and/or front hubs back, additional limiters inside front shocks, move battery forward, stand up rear shock, stiffer rear spring/oil, etc.
BigBrute_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #9185
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
If you spins the tires with throttle in the air and slam the brake, does that at least stop them immediately? Your diff, or a broken hex pin? I would imagine either would show up more under power though.
I'm getting no kick in the air either. The thing is I still have great acceleration just no stopping power.

After digging around on rc-tech I think the its possible that I've de-magnetized the both rotors by overheating them which is hard to believe but possible. Max temps are 72d / 161F but I imagine that they may have reached 80c / 176F given time in-between stopping and taking a reading. LRP states max temp is 210F

Apologies to all for bring this up on this thread but just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something mechanical on the B5 (and plus there is allota knowledge here!)

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #9186
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm getting no kick in the air either. The thing is I still have great acceleration just no stopping power.

After digging around on rc-tech I think the its possible that I've de-magnetized the both rotors by overheating them which is hard to believe but possible. Max temps are 72d / 161F but I imagine that they may have reached 80c / 176F given time in-between stopping and taking a reading. LRP states max temp is 210F

Apologies to all for bring this up on this thread but just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something mechanical on the B5 (and plus there is allota knowledge here!)
When you spin the wheels by hand can you feel resistance from the motor?
Even better if you spin the shaft on the motor by hand you should feel the magnet resisting turning.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #9187
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Weak as brakes.

After installing a new 6.5t motor the other night (indoor carpet) I found that I had minimal braking power. I mean that near the end of the straight away after applying full brakes it would take about about 3-5 meters (9-15ft) to slow down enough to turn the corner. (had a few run-ins with the wall that night)

- Tested my TX with my B44.2 which has exact same esc and motor...brakes are LEATHAL as expected.

After doing all this I still have very minimal brakes and its driving me crazy. Im about to pull apart my diff as a last resort but I cant imagine that has anything to do with braking power..

Anyway I thought i'd just ask everyone for some advice in in case im missing something obvious.

I'm super perplexed! I can't think of anything native to a 2wd buggy (the chassis itself) that would somehow limit the brake strength of the esc/motor.

Diff works properly?
Top shaft in one piece?

I'm at a loss. I think were missing a piece of the puzzle.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #9188
Super Moderator

Quote:
Weak as brakes.

By EXP do you mean exponential? Have you tried it with that turned back to 0? Jacked up expo can create some weird responses, or lack of (depending on radio brand). If you have great power I doubt it's the rotor.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #9189
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
When you spin the wheels by hand can you feel resistance from the motor?
Even better if you spin the shaft on the motor by hand you should feel the magnet resisting turning.
I removed both motors from each car:

1. B44.2 with 6.5t LRP 1 year old run only outdoor - Brakes are awesome
2. B5M with 6.5t LRP 1 week old run once indoor - No brakes on track

I also checked the 8.5T LRP thats 4 weeks old - No brakes on track

I spun all 3 rotors with my fingers and both appear to have the same level of magnetisim. I tried to put the 'good' motor from the b44.2 into the B5M last night but at luck would have it the screws holding the motor housing to the actual motor are locked and I cant unscrew it.

If I cant drill it out ill try removing just the rotor and replacing that, my LHS is saying that it cant be a rotor issue and must be a TX problem, not sure how that can be the case if i reset all model memory and rebind and still the same issue

I think ive performed more tesitng on my B5M this week than the RedBull F1 crew

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #9190
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
By EXP do you mean exponential? Have you tried it with that turned back to 0? Jacked up expo can create some weird responses, or lack of (depending on radio brand). If you have great power I doubt it's the rotor.
Yep. After resetting data for the model I use defaults which is 0 EXP, when that doesnt work I start playing around with end points and exp.

Thanks for the idea though.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #9191
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yep. After resetting data for the model I use defaults which is 0 EXP, when that doesnt work I start playing around with end points and exp.

Thanks for the idea though.
try the esc and receiver from your wheeler in the B5M. should not need to re-calibrate or anything. I suspect your radio or esc configurations are wrong.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #9192
Tech Regular

Quote:
try the esc and receiver from your wheeler in the B5M. should not need to re-calibrate or anything. I suspect your radio or esc configurations are wrong.
Because I put a brand spanking new esc in the car just to test the brakes I dont think its the esc....ill try the receiver though, that being said when i run it with the top off I can see that brakes are applied because the max breaking light appears. Also I can calibrate the esc and the brakes work when I hold the car in my hand, its just when the car is in the motion it doesnt have the power to bring the car to a stop immediately, just coasts along.

Anyway I have nothing to lose to ill give it a go

Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #9193
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Because I put a brand spanking new esc in the car just to test the brakes I dont think its the esc....ill try the receiver though, that being said when i run it with the top off I can see that brakes are applied because the max breaking light appears. Also I can calibrate the esc and the brakes work when I hold the car in my hand, its just when the car is in the motion it doesnt have the power to bring the car to a stop immediately, just coasts along.

Anyway I have nothing to lose to ill give it a go
It is not the car. I can tell you that with 100% certainly. if your diff or slipper we loose, that 6.5 would make the car have ungodly sounds. It IS your electronics.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #9194
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
It is not the car. I can tell you that with 100% certainly. if your diff or slipper we loose, that 6.5 would make the car have ungodly sounds. It IS your electronics.
+1
I am gonna say its the radio.
What radio is it and what are your throttle endpoints?
Since your 4wd has crazy brakes I am gonna guess that is another model saved in your radio. The 2wd doesn't have enough brake programmed will be my guess.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #9195
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
+1
I am gonna say its the radio.
What radio is it and what are your throttle endpoints?
Since your 4wd has crazy brakes I am gonna guess that is another model saved in your radio. The 2wd doesn't have enough brake programmed will be my guess.
This brings up another thought; try binding the car to the 4wd slot on your radio. I have seen issues with different model memory's in radios and the bug follows that model memory...just another thing to try and eliminate.
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote