R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #721
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

the 4wd tires are wider. width might be an issue for roar with he tires on the car
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #722
Tech Elite

That's because those rules changed some time back. There are some minimum measurements for some items (but not wheel/tire widths) and obviously all dimensions have a maximum. Thereby if it fits the rules you can run it. There is no rule regarding 4wd fronts on 2wd or heck, rears on fronts, anymore. (if your local track or event makes a stipulation then so be it as they are free to do so!)

Fronts have been narrower for a few reasons. One being drawn from the real buggies when originally copied. The wedging caused by the amounts of caster we run is also less than a wide wheel. Also if you have driven something with fronts nearly as wide as rears, the steering seems like a detriment as the backend is chasing the front or the car is screwing itself into the ground.

With the static weight moving forward i'm sure there will be some developments with the front wheels.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #723
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A two wheel buggy with four wheel front tires on it probably will not fit the width of the tech box at a Roar/Ifmar race, that everyone must use when going through tech inspection. Their just too wide.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #724
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilster44 View Post
A two wheel buggy with four wheel front tires on it probably will not fit the width of the tech box at a Roar/Ifmar race, that everyone must use when going through tech inspection. Their just too wide.
Wouldn't the width stay the same if you are using 0 offset wheels? The end of the axle would still be the widest part of the front end.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #725
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The sidewall could overhang more on a narrower rim than the 4wd tires were designed for . The 22 rims are pretty wide, more so than the AE's and Losi's previous types.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #726
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The sidewall could overhang more on a narrower rim than the 4wd tires were designed for . The 22 rims are pretty wide, more so than the AE's and Losi's previous types.
I was thinking if the tires were on appropriate sized rims, not the narrower 2wd front rims. I could see the sidewall overhang being a problem.

Didn't Proline make wide front 2wd tires and wheels that were nearly the size of 4wd fronts in the late-90s? Anyone remember those?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #727
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi650 View Post
I was thinking if the tires were on appropriate sized rims, not the narrower 2wd front rims. I could see the sidewall overhang being a problem.

Didn't Proline make wide front 2wd tires and wheels that were nearly the size of 4wd fronts in the late-90s? Anyone remember those?
I remember those, Losi did the same. They were really closer to the 2wd fronts we run now. Front tires were typically MUCH narrower in the early 90's.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #728
Tech Prophet

I am really hoping that the AE MM car does not require the amount of weight added to it that others do. Its kinda lame to buy a kit and then stick $100 into brass to make the car not suck. Plus it sucks to have all of that weight in 17.5. Also, drivers like spencer rivken ran rm for 17.5 on the same track he ran mm for mod recently at a larger race. Since he has both cars and is sponsored, he could run mm in both, but didnt. Maybe because the centro is kinda heavy for 17.5?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #729
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I am really hoping that the AE MM car does not require the amount of weight added to it that others do. Its kinda lame to buy a kit and then stick $100 into brass to make the car not suck. Plus it sucks to have all of that weight in 17.5. Also, drivers like spencer rivken ran rm for 17.5 on the same track he ran mm for mod recently at a larger race. Since he has both cars and is sponsored, he could run mm in both, but didnt. Maybe because the centro is kinda heavy for 17.5?
I think the saddle pack will take care of that. A shorty will almost certainly require more weight if it's on anything but high grip.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #730
Tech Prophet

That is what I am hoping for. If the saddles are all I need for outdoor racing.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #731
Tech Champion

Weight is a band-aid for setup. Remember when guys would put 6oz under their lipo batteries? Dakotah Phend just posted that he only runs 7gm in his 22 MM, a car with a reputation for needing a lot of weight.

If lots of weight must be added then either the setup hasn't been worked out (which can understandably take a while) or the car has adjustment limitations (Link locations, available spring rates, etc) to reach the right setup.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #732
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyD View Post
Is it legal to run 4wd wheels on a 2wd buggy? How would that work at a race like the Reedy? Mix your barcodes with the ions?
The Reedy Race as do all major events require control tires. For the Reedy they were gold Barcodes front and Silver rear for 2wd, and Ions all around for 4wd.

If you feel like you need to run 4wd fronts on you 2wd buggy just run stadium truck and get out of my way
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #733
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think shorty in 17.5 is better than saddles. With engine being tame and not not pushing the cars limits gives it time to settle. With mod motor, feels like you would need weight to have it settle quickly and push harder, brake, etc. but 17. a shorty feels best in MM to me. Our club only races 17.5 and 13.5 so no big motors.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #734
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
I think shorty in 17.5 is better than saddles. With engine being tame and not not pushing the cars limits gives it time to settle. With mod motor, feels like you would need weight to have it settle quickly and push harder, brake, etc. but 17. a shorty feels best in MM to me. Our club only races 17.5 and 13.5 so no big motors.
+1
And this has been beaten to death on many a thread--but I think the majority of experienced stock buggy drivers will recommend running shorty packs. I've experimented lots with both and I keep ending up with running shorty's.
Also-I agree that having to add any substantial amount of weight is definitely a bandaid for improper setup, wrong tires, etc.
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #735
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
+1

Also-I agree that having to add any substantial amount of weight is definitely a bandaid for improper setup, wrong tires, etc.
Another component to this is adjusting the motor. If a car drops a significant amount of weight due to lipo from NiMh or the change to short packs then the ideal amount of power changes with it. I used to run as much as a 6.5 in 2wd before lipo came in, then 7.5, 8.5, now I run a 10.5 and I can't really use any more power then that effectively.