R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #7306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Which holes are you referring to on the wing ?

We mount the wing a bit more forward then the stock location for extra grip.
Use just one or two bars ..
Place the wing pad on top of wing for more strength.
Pardon the newbie question but what is the real purpose of that wing pad? Do you put a hole in the wing and run a screw into that piece to hold it on the wing? I'm sure its something really simple that I'm just overlooking
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #7307
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
Pardon the newbie question but what is the real purpose of that wing pad? Do you put a hole in the wing and run a screw into that piece to hold it on the wing? I'm sure its something really simple that I'm just overlooking
My limited newbie understanding was that it was installed under the wing and provided a place to mount a screw in it to force the wing up in the rear.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #7308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Its an angled wing shim to adjust the wing. no shim...3 degrees, with shim...6 degrees and reverse shim...0 degrees. if you use the 3 degree (no shim) then you run the shim on top of the wing.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #7309
Tech Addict

Quote:
It's tapered, you can use it to increase the wing angle by placing it under the wing on the wing mounts. Nothing more than that. If you want you can put a hole in the wing and use a screw to attach it to the bottom of the wing so that it doesn't get lost when removing the wing.
Speed Freak RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #7310
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussF View Post
My limited newbie understanding was that it was installed under the wing and provided a place to mount a screw in it to force the wing up in the rear.
The screw is to give the wing a third point of attachment so the wing doesn't move around on the mount. makes it more solid.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #7311
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ahhh!! Thanks guys, that make way more sense. I didnt notice it was not flat.

So what mounting position for the stock wing is best to start with? Forward or Rearward?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #7312
Tech Elite

I put an Al button head screw in mine, didn't think about the angle, could be where some of the high-speed push is coming from in my car.
AKA Racing
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #7313
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussF View Post
Ahhh!! Thanks guys, that make way more sense. I didnt notice it was not flat.

So what mounting position for the stock wing is best to start with? Forward or Rearward?
6 degrees so run forward (screw hole towards the back). This is the baseline setup. To me, trimming the wing lip is more effective.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #7314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 486 (100%+)

I added a gear diff to my 13.5 car over the weekend. I'm also running a slipper eliminator. It is very smooth and predictable. Since we run sugared bluegroove there is enough traction for the eliminator, even with a 13.5. The car was smooth as butter with 5k in the diff. I would do the same thing for my 17.5 car(s) if they made pucks for gear diffs like they do for the Kyosho cars. Bottom line is that the gear diff was worth at least a tenth or two in my average lap time, meaning that it did not make my fastest laps faster, rather, it made my lap times more consistent and helped me make less mistakes.

I have to say, working on the B5M is much easier than working on the RB6M. I think that in this case the way AE designed a specific MM design is very apparent. I was able to get the diff swapped in a few minutes. There are a few things that really stand out, small things, like the fact that the tranny uses 4 screws that are all the same.

I'll also add that AE's parts quality has really improved. I definitely can't complain about any of my B5s wearing parts fast. I've done a lot of racing and practice lately and the outdrives on my non-pucks cars are all still near perfect after a couple months.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #7315
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I added a gear diff to my 13.5 car over the weekend. I'm also running a slipper eliminator. It is very smooth and predictable. Since we run sugared bluegroove there is enough traction for the eliminator, even with a 13.5. The car was smooth as butter with 5k in the diff. I would do the same thing for my 17.5 car(s) if they made pucks for gear diffs like they do for the Kyosho cars. Bottom line is that the gear diff was worth at least a tenth or two in my average lap time, meaning that it did not make my fastest laps faster, rather, it made my lap times more consistent and helped me make less mistakes.

I have to say, working on the B5M is much easier than working on the RB6M. I think that in this case the way AE designed a specific MM design is very apparent. I was able to get the diff swapped in a few minutes. There are a few things that really stand out, small things, like the fact that the tranny uses 4 screws that are all the same.

I'll also add that AE's parts quality has really improved. I definitely can't complain about any of my B5s wearing parts fast. I've done a lot of racing and practice lately and the outdrives on my non-pucks cars are all still near perfect after a couple months.

Never seen someone go faster on clay with a gear diff till now.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #7316
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here's my baby finished at last
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_0125.jpg   Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_0126.jpg   Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_0127.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #7317
Tech Regular

My kit should be arriving in a few days thanks to all of your input. Thank you very much for that.

I have a question about build/progress/journal posts. Should i do that in this thread or start a new journal thread? I feel like i should start a new thread but i just wanted to check on the "culture" of this forum.

Thanks again!

jB

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #7318
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
My kit should be arriving in a few days thanks to all of your input. Thank you very much for that.

I have a question about build/progress/journal posts. Should i do that in this thread or start a new journal thread? I feel like i should start a new thread but i just wanted to check on the "culture" of this forum.

Thanks again!

jB
Do not do that in this thread.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #7319
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Aluminum vs Plastic shock caps. Please discuss. I see that most everyone including the pros use the plastic caps. I found the plastic caps got play in them rather fast and my alum caps have stayed slop free for months.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #7320
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=Jason Baliban;13491077]My kit should be arriving in a few days thanks to all of your input. Thank you very much for that.

Thanks again!

jB[/

Welcoming you to join and share your build ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote