R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #6781
Tech Legend

Asked Brent myself about Trcr traction and how it compared to what he runs on .

Said it was about the same or very similar....

Asked others that travel to Chico,Surf city, Ocrc...

They claim Trcr has a little more grip.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #6782
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Seeking a good starting setup for SoCal medium to high bite tracks, mostly stock B5M. Looking to lose a bit of push, and gain more low speed steering. Not interested in having the lightest car out there. Car is already too light in the rear with the pucks, aluminum top shaft, and cut gears, plus shorty pack. May ditch it all and go heavy (all stock plus B5 flat arms, and tower) to gain more stability.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #6783
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Seeking a good starting setup for SoCal medium to high bite tracks, mostly stock B5M. Looking to lose a bit of push, and gain more low speed steering.
you could start with Cav's Surf City. Or you could try the Tacompton setup
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #6784
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Cabs setup for surf city has a bunch o shit I don't get on it. Like how does he get -1mm shims on the bump steer spacer? Is he grinding?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #6785
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'd like to try yours actually. Have a setup sheet? Going to OC/RC tomorrow to practice, need to know if I need to buy stuff today to throw on it. Would also like to not grind, chop or hack up the car if possible. Also need a sure fire way to ease up the ball cup binding. Don't kind an emery cloth to polish the balls. Anything short of sanding stuff down to help? Right now I am putting the links on then popping them off to loosen up the links but I know in the long run that's not good.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #6786
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Guys, stop spamming this thread with useless info......its a waste of time and energy.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #6787
Tech Prophet

lol, what? no one runs my setup. Not even the locals.

Here is my setup. I tried a few different things and I liked the fell of this the best. This is the setup I ran last weekend at the Short Course Shootout. The car was great, the driver was not lol. But the car did everything I asked of it. For me it turned on a dime....But My front tires are magical. lol. Meaning, when ever I want more steering, I put them on and any push I had goes away. Sometimes its too much and I go with a front tire that is more forgiving. Locally, tires are a big deal. And I dont mean the brand specifically, I mean how they are broken in and such. New tires always seem to suck. I tried the 1.4s in the front like cav, but I didnt like it. I tried lower weight oils and I didnt like it. I find my car is very easy to drive, but if I put the wrong tires on, it becomes a handful in a second. You can copy a setup, but kinda hard to copy peoples tires. Anyway, laugh away at my setup, lol. IDK I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5m-setup.jpg  

Last edited by Wildcat1971; 08-12-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Wildcat1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #6788
Tech Legend

Quote:
Cabs setup for surf city has a bunch o shit I don't get on it. Like how does he get -1mm shims on the bump steer spacer? Is he grinding?
done to add more bump steer
Makes for more steering(grinding steer arm)

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 08-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #6789
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
doing for more steering(grinding steer arm)
Wrong!
SilentHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #6790
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I'd like to try yours actually. Have a setup sheet? Going to OC/RC tomorrow to practice, need to know if I need to buy stuff today to throw on it. Would also like to not grind, chop or hack up the car if possible. Also need a sure fire way to ease up the ball cup binding. Don't kind an emery cloth to polish the balls. Anything short of sanding stuff down to help? Right now I am putting the links on then popping them off to loosen up the links but I know in the long run that's not good.
Like you I have really struggled with the cups. I tried lots of things. Popping them on and off, reaming the cup, polishing/standing the balls and just trying to let them break in.

Popping them on and off is definitely a decent part of the equation, but it only seems to get me so far. Sanding the studs does help, but I used 800 grit and it can take a little while. The ball cup reamers are nice, but there is not one that is a perfect size that I have found. IMO, that is probably the best and easiest solution. I got most of mine "close" with sanding and pop on/off. Then a few week of racing, finished breaking them in. If your racing outdoors or on dusty surfaces, use a q-tip and clean them out periodically.

If you want to sand some, just chuck up the stud in a dremel. Turn it to a medium setting. I cut a strip of 800 grit about 3 inches long. Then lopped it over the stud and sanded each stud for 1-2 minutes. The pop on/off the cup several times and that makes it pretty good.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #6791
Tech Elite

Quote:
lol, what? no one runs my setup. Not even the locals.

Here is my setup. I tried a few different things and I liked the fell of this the best. This is the setup I ran last weekend at the Short Course Shootout. The car was great, the driver was not lol. But the car did everything I asked of it. For me it turned on a dime....But My front tires are magical. lol. Meaning, when ever I want more steering, I put them on and any push I had goes away. Sometimes its too much and I go with a front tire that is more forgiving. Locally, tires are a big deal. And I dont mean the brand specifically, I mean how they are broken in and such. New tires always seem to suck. I tried the 1.4s in the front like cav, but I didnt like it. I tried lower weight oils and I didnt like it. I find my car is very easy to drive, but if I put the wrong tires on, it becomes a handful in a second. You can copy a setup, but kinda hard to copy peoples tires. Anyway, laugh away at my setup, lol. IDK I like it.
Maybe if I tell you what mine is doing that would help. At LRH right now there is a straight, not too long, but can get on the throttle if Need be. My problem is at the end where there is a not quite sweeper turn, but it is not a 180 degree either, just have to hit it right to clear the small doubles before setting up for a 180, booted, series of 180s. My car does not like the turn at all. It is floating almost into the back wall, causing me to to have to overshoot the double cause I have to slow down to keep the floating under control, which in turn causes me to have to get on the breaks hard before the 180 to setup for the turn before the booter if that makes any sense?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #6792
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

what/where is the Tacompton setup?
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #6793
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
what/where is the Tacompton setup?
Its been
busy PWN da hood..lol
Won't find it anywhere but here @ RcTech...

I will try tonight to post the Tacompton .2 tonight for everyone.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #6794
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

WC, are you still using the same inline electronics setup?
GTSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #6795
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Seeking a good starting setup for SoCal medium to high bite tracks, mostly stock B5M. Looking to lose a bit of push, and gain more low speed steering. Not interested in having the lightest car out there. Car is already too light in the rear with the pucks, aluminum top shaft, and cut gears, plus shorty pack. May ditch it all and go heavy (all stock plus B5 flat arms, and tower) to gain more stability.
Go with hartsons set up. Its the safest. Run well broken in dirt webs all road and sauce with wd40 for 10min before runs. Of 3x1.4 flat in front shocks. Then just drive it like you stole it, have fun with the triples lol especially the center. Haha