Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Or get the AE version.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Battery-Strap
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm new to racing. Just got my first kit which is the B5. Having a blast putting it together, to be honest it's rather addictive. Does anyone have any advise they would be willing to pass on. It would greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by langsky
What would you use the shorter aluminum shock posts for? AEs site shows both the standard and short variations of the aluminum shock posts for the B5M.
normally short is used in the rear and long used in the front. but on the b5m i believe the idea is to use long front and rear.

these are parts for other cars too, im sure a t5, sc10-5, b54 are all in the pipeline lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blalock
I'm new to racing. Just got my first kit which is the B5. Having a blast putting it together, to be honest it's rather addictive. Does anyone have any advise they would be willing to pass on. It would greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Yes.

Make sure your diff is tight enough from the start. Have someone from your track or hobby shop check it before you ever run the car. Should be free advice. This is very important. Better a little too tight than loose.

Run the stock setup for at least 20-30 packs. If you don't know EXACTLY what you want to change, don't till you do. Often a "fast" setup is difficult for those that aren't experience or talented to drive.

Copy the wheel setup of the fast guys. Ask them what insert and just run those tires and inserts. It is the #1 thing that will make your car work or not work.

Don't waste your money on hop ups, EXCEPT get a set of Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles. I ran the stock ones till I had a set and 4 of 6 of the steel were bent and I didn't even know it on 3 of them (1 was really bad!). Other than that the car was so dialed in with the stock parts.

Just run your car a bunch and get used to how it works - dial in the drag brake too. You might be better running no drag brake. It's important to learn how to dial in your brakes pre-heat/main via EPA. This is as important as ANYTHING you might need to learn.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

finally got around to building it... just need to settle on the electronics layout, glue some front tires and get some paint done. I think I want to wait for the new Proline bodies though. RM car is just about done too....

Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gticlay
Yes.

Make sure your diff is tight enough from the start. Have someone from your track or hobby shop check it before you ever run the car. Should be free advice. This is very important. Better a little too tight than loose.

Run the stock setup for at least 20-30 packs. If you don't know EXACTLY what you want to change, don't till you do. Often a "fast" setup is difficult for those that aren't experience or talented to drive.

Copy the wheel setup of the fast guys. Ask them what insert and just run those tires and inserts. It is the #1 thing that will make your car work or not work.

Don't waste your money on hop ups, EXCEPT get a set of Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles. I ran the stock ones till I had a set and 4 of 6 of the steel were bent and I didn't even know it on 3 of them (1 was really bad!). Other than that the car was so dialed in with the stock parts.

Just run your car a bunch and get used to how it works - dial in the drag brake too. You might be better running no drag brake. It's important to learn how to dial in your brakes pre-heat/main via EPA. This is as important as ANYTHING you might need to learn.

Hope that helps.
I personally found that dialing in the brake was probably my second most important thing. First being the tires.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
finally got around to building it... just need to settle on the electronics layout, glue some front tires and get some paint done. I think I want to wait for the new Proline bodies though. RM car is just about done too....

The phantom body looks SWEET!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Anybody running a chassis protector on the aluminum chassis?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I am just now building my buggy, anything I should be aware of or change from box stock setup for med -high grip indoor clay type track?
Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I just ran stock class on a large indoor track and the mid motor did great. After 5min heats the motor was at 115* degrees. I did change to 1mm spacer in rear inner ball stud and to 3mm trailing insert, but need to change tires. Was so much smoother than my b4.2 and deffinently like the mid motor feel.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint
Has anyone tried the aluminum shock mounts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but there is a ton of slop between the shock mount and the hole in the shock cap
Originally Posted by slakr
Yes, with the same results. Their either has to be an insert for use with the plastic shock caps or they must only be for use with the aluminum shock caps.
If you had read your manual, you'd have known you need a matching bushing.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Me too. Just got finished running 17.5 and took third in the amain. Only problem I had all night was the car felt like it had a lack if punch. Handled amazing and felt extremely planted. Coming from a b4.2 with all the goodies for 17.5 I was expecting it but I was not prepared for how drastic it was. After the second heat I swapped in my pucks system from my 4.2 and holy cow it came back to life. Really is a great car to drive. This car turns in so fast but keeps its composure. Loving it!!!

Btw to answer someone else's question, I was running a chassis protector but through out the night having to pull the gear box I ripped it off and ran it without. I don't think I'll be putting another one back on. To much of a PITA when you have to work on it. I could see it on the rear motor where the bottom is near screwless but on this car meh.

Picture:
Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=gticlay;13098122]Yes.

Hope that helps.[/QUOT

That's actually the best advice u could probably get. Could be a few other things on top of that. Overall it's solid advice. I wish I would have had that good of advice all in one write up like that. I got similar advice but it didn't sink in right away.

I messed with my set up too much when I first started out. Bought all the best parts. Cranked my boost up too high and drove like a moron. Don't mess with Ur set up till u can drive consistent with out crashing. Ur gonna keep wondering why this or that happened and why u can't drive as fast as the other guys. It's not your set up. It's Ur lack of experience.

I can't believe how many people blame there set up for a bad race when they just drove Like shit. Whe u do get the experience under Ur belt and start changing set up. One change at a time. Make sure u know what effect that change had on Ur car.

Lastly make sure u have the right tires and inserts. Listen to what GTIClay said about the diff. U don't ever want to hear Ur diff slip. There are YouTube videos that will show u what a diff slipping sounds like if u don't know. They also cover slipper slipping and gear mesh being too tight. . Make sure u have the tires right before u even think about changing anything.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BillPear
If you had read your manual, you'd have known you need a matching bushing.
Thank you for your insight. I did read my manual during assembly and the assembly instructions did not mention anything regarding the FT aluminum bushings let alone the bushing inserts.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Blalock
Just punch it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.