R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #6151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run Hobbywing ESC's in all my vehicles. I have had great experience with their products so far. I run the Justock in my 17.5 Blinky TC & 21.5 Blinky USGT cars, I run the Xtreme Stock in my B5, B5M & T4.2 (all 10.5 motors), I run the 120A V2.1 in my 10th 4wd buggy (8.5 motor), and run the SCT Pro in my eBuggy and 4wd SCT. I am very happy with all of them!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #6152
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear. These are basically just OEM parts from other manufacturers, correct?

What would the equivalent of the XTREME Stock be?
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #6153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

From what I have heard/read, Hobbywing makes a lot of ESC's that are labeled by others. They used to make SP ESC's (before the Reventon series came out), and I think they still make the Orion ESC's (Orion does their own software). *Note: this is just what I have heard/read here on RCTech and from other sources, so take it for what it's worth.
Not sure what an equivalent is for the Xtreme Stock. But this speedo can run Blinky or boost. The Justock is BLINKY ONLY!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #6154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
I can definitely swing the orion, but at that point id probably stick with another RS Gen 2 as I have the hotwire setup and what not.

I was more curious about the hobby wing stuff. As I said this would be for pure stock 17.5 blinky.

When I want to step up that car I would probably go for an orion pro or something. For ~$60 will it do what I need it to do? Better way to phrase the question - Will I be at a huge disadvantage running the hobby wing stock vs someone with a "better" ESC?
I have an RS Gen 2 and I get smoked by people running Hobbywing stuff fairly regularly.
It's not the speedo, it's the driving.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #6155
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Hobbywing is probably the most under rated 1/10th scale esc. Yes, they make the Orion esc's. And everyone and their brother tried to clone them because they are very good. I have run the tekin gen2 rs esc's and I would definitely, pick the HW over them. I am running the orions, only because i got great deals on used ones. Otherwise, I would just run the Justock ESCs. $50 shipped to your door from HWNA. And yes, they have a warranty.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #6156
Tech Prophet

So I spend another weekend running the MM. It can be driven really hard, but I still feel like the shock package is lacking. I have pretty good steering and enough rear traction, but on hard turns, the outside rear wheel sinks in so far and lifts the inside front wheel. Resulting in a spin out due to over loading the tire or a traction roll. Depending on the corner. I am running grey fronts 1.4x3 pistons and 37.5 oil, rear white springs, 1.6 pistons and 30wt oil. I am thinking about going to 32.5 in the rear. I am also debating going to 1.6's up front. on turns where a lot of weight transfers to the front, the front seems to over roll and can flip on of camber turns or landing a jump at an angle. The car basically feels under dampened. Reminds me of a SC truck kinda.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #6157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So I spend another weekend running the MM. It can be driven really hard, but I still feel like the shock package is lacking. I have pretty good steering and enough rear traction, but on hard turns, the outside rear wheel sinks in so far and lifts the inside front wheel. Resulting in a spin out due to over loading the tire or a traction roll. Depending on the corner. I am running grey fronts 1.4x3 pistons and 37.5 oil, rear white springs, 1.6 pistons and 30wt oil. I am thinking about going to 32.5 in the rear. I am also debating going to 1.6's up front. on turns where a lot of weight transfers to the front, the front seems to over roll and can flip on of camber turns or landing a jump at an angle. The car basically feels under dampened. Reminds me of a SC truck kinda.
I wonder if roll bars would help? There is a guy at our track who really likes them
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #6158
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstuart View Post
I wonder if roll bars would help? There is a guy at our track who really likes them
yeah, I was thinking about that. No one here runs them, but that does not mean they would not work. I( have talked to a few people and they mostly, have the same shock package as me, I dunno maybe I am coming in too hot and not setting the car up. Maybe its the tires too. A few guys have gone to slicks. But i have issue grinding all the tread off a new set up tires, lol. But I am sold slicked out clays would cause the tire to roll over less and make for a more consistent car. The rear might be grabbing too much and causing the tire to roll over, thus causing my issues. I was to minimally slick out the outer 4mm of the tread to help with this.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #6159
Tech Addict

hey wildcat..
I use the green swaybar setup on the loose position.. meaning the end is about 1/2mm away from and of wire. I run it all the time outdoors now... I switched back to the white rear springs and inside hole on tower and arm in back... and its really really good.. it gave me even more on power steering and also increased the rear traction.. exactly what you were saying.. it changed the roll a little and instead of rolling so much lifting front tires it kept the wheels in contact with the ground more. and by running it in the lightest setting it also works fine in the chop.. and I run on blown out 1/8th scale tracks.

hope that helps.. oh and for indoors try just going to the next step or two stiffer swaybar..
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #6160
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
hey wildcat..
I use the green swaybar setup on the loose position.. meaning the end is about 1/2mm away from and of wire. I run it all the time outdoors now... I switched back to the white rear springs and inside hole on tower and arm in back... and its really really good.. it gave me even more on power steering and also increased the rear traction.. exactly what you were saying.. it changed the roll a little and instead of rolling so much lifting front tires it kept the wheels in contact with the ground more. and by running it in the lightest setting it also works fine in the chop.. and I run on blown out 1/8th scale tracks.

hope that helps.. oh and for indoors try just going to the next step or two stiffer swaybar..
yeah, I am running inside on tower and arm also with white springs. I might have to look into the sway bars. The track has plenty of traction. Wet clay that feels like walking on fly paper.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #6161
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like running the swaybar myself.
Speed Freak RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #6162
Tech Apprentice

Went with the XTreme stock from hobby wing. At $60 its completely worth a shot and drastically cuts down on the price to complete my RM. Thanks for the help.
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #6163
Tech Addict

hey wildcat... ya same here.. actually plenty of traction.. we are running dry but blow off track every few runs.. but lots of holes in corners and breaking bumps.. so really choppy in spots from 1/8th scales.. I had plenty of low speed steering but the on power stuff was lacking and it rolled to much in corners making back end want to come a little loose under power.. the swaybar was just the ticket. it locked in the backend and gave me the onpower steering I was looking for. and its just as smooth in the bumps as before.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #6164
Tech Prophet

sounds good rick. I will give it try.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #6165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...grammable.html

turnigy gen2 LOL $70. the turbo 120a is still $45 too.