R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #6016
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc23 View Post
a few months of once a week racing?
mostly, the last couple months I have been racing 2x a week.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #6017
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What shock pistons do you guys recommend 3x1.4 or 2x1.6 in the front shocks and what oil? On b5m
joykiller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #6018
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
hmm, I have some typo clay and SS at home. I will compare later. I knew SS was heavier than Soft, but never really used clay before. The "new" srs might become a clay tire track. Still seems too new to tell. If I could get to 1550-60 without having to change out my electronics or buy pucks, that would be nice
Why not just get the promatch 3500. Between your 4800 and that one, it is 60 grams right there.
kdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #6019
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Why not just get the promatch 3500. Between your 4800 and that one, it is 60 grams right there.
my only concern is the occasional 10 minute main that I make. Granted I dont make it weekly, lol. But even with the 4800 in my lighter rm b5, some jumps became much harder late in the race. In those races I used over 2000mah, which would put the 3500 pretty low voltage
Old 07-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #6020
Tech Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMz...bUIPHr8hukDoPg

any input on this? Does that sound ok? Maybe its just a different room I'm in and it sounds different. Any input appreciated.
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #6021
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark413 View Post
Yeah that does sound kind of light, I will put it back on the scales and double check.

Here it is on the scale right after I finished building it.

At least 8 grams too heavy
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #6022
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMz...bUIPHr8hukDoPg

any input on this? Does that sound ok? Maybe its just a different room I'm in and it sounds different. Any input appreciated.
lol, wtf is that sound? check your mesh and pull the pinion off and make sure it spins freely. Also, make sure your pinion is not rubbing the gear case
Old 07-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #6023
Tech Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4TM...bUIPHr8hukDoPg

thats just the motor. does that sound ok?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #6024
Tech Apprentice

Ugh, i dunno. Took everything apart. Everything moves perfectly freely. I think the motor is a bit loud when its at the very low end, makes a loudish clicking noise when spinning the rotor, seems normal.

Otherwise I can't pinpoint any issues at all, mesh seems totally fine, I can move the spur teeth without moving the pinion, but barely. When I run it on the ground it sounds fine. I may just be over reacting.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #6025
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Ugh, i dunno. Took everything apart. Everything moves perfectly freely. I think the motor is a bit loud when its at the very low end, makes a loudish clicking noise when spinning the rotor, seems normal.

Otherwise I can't pinpoint any issues at all, mesh seems totally fine, I can move the spur teeth without moving the pinion, but barely. When I run it on the ground it sounds fine. I may just be over reacting.
I dunno. My motors dont make that sound, lol. But if you can do the 2-3 inch lift without barking and everything is free. then leave it. I would watch temps. Maybe even oil the bearings.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #6026
Tech Apprentice

When you turn just your pinion do you get about three positive stops or does it turn freely?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #6027
Tech Apprentice

oooooookkkkkkk. So the lift test failed. Time to rip apart the tranny. This is my diff. I rebuilt it last week. What happened? Im sure it was too loose, did I destroy the balls? If it was too loose could the black grease from the thrust bearings work its way into the center of the diff? Should I clean and rebuild or just buy new stuff

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #6028
Tech Prophet

Quote:
oooooookkkkkkk. So the lift test failed. Time to rip apart the tranny. This is my diff. I rebuilt it last week. What happened? Im sure it was too loose, did I destroy the balls? If it was too loose could the black grease from the thrust bearings work its way into the center of the diff? Should I clean and rebuild or just buy new stuff

that is the clear grease burned up from heat and friction. you can probably flip the rings. but I would replace the gear and the diff balls (the thrust is probably fine). if the balls in the gear get to hot, then can become loose in the holes and move around on you. if you had enough heat to burn up the clear grease, I would just replace.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #6029
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:

Damn. Looks like you used black grease for the diff balls! Never seen a diff black like that. If you get any black grease on the diff balls it will slip. Very little black grease needs to be used on the thrust.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #6030
Tech Apprentice

Bummer.

Would that be caused by it being too loose? Thought I was getting the hang of this stuff .

I may just rebuild it until I get back to the shop. Bad idea?