R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #5446
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybeau40 View Post
Going tit for tat isn't what this thread is for nor will I entertain. Again, I stick by my stance that all the weight reduction craze is overdone and could steer new racers down an expensive, time-consuming path that will quickly push them out of he hobby due to time and cost. I see it all the time.

It's great work and not meant to "criticize" as you like to contend. Playing devil's advocate for the average racer or new to the hobby is sometimes a good thing.

It's my view and will be the last I reply on it.

Funny you mention RC10 and it's in your nick. We have a group of guys with the released RC10 world car having a blast with them.
To myself that part is only for eye candy, takes weight from the very spot its needed most for traction & performance.

Hey Nick!
If you can't stand the heat ?

Stay out of the kitchen...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #5447
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
The B5M is a pig of a car and does need weight reduction for blinky class. Everyone can make their own decision as to whether or not they need that chassis milling. I think it would be nice if they made 3 different chassis flex options for tuning. Shouldn't be super difficult to do...
I agree and I am not willing to put in the cash for 17.5MM. I have a RM car and it works great in stock. IMO, the MM car out of the box is better suited to outdoor tracks with smaller jumps or mod. The extra weight is nice for traction outdoors.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #5448
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

She's all done and ready to race.

I literally haven't built or driven a 2wd buggy since the AE TQ10.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-rc10b5m.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #5449
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Going tit for tat isn't what this thread is for nor will I entertain. Again, I stick by my stance that all the weight reduction craze is overdone and could steer new racers down an expensive, time-consuming path that will quickly push them out of he hobby due to time and cost. I see it all the time.

It's great work and not meant to "criticize" as you like to contend. Playing devil's advocate for the average racer or new to the hobby is sometimes a good thing.

It's my view and will be the last I reply on it.

Funny you mention RC10 and it's in your nick. We have a group of guys with the released RC10 world car having a blast with them.
But you weren't playing devil's advocate, nor did you even bother to acknowledge the work that went into their design. You just went straight to "it's pointless" and a haughty "to each their own I guess."

If you want to play devil's advocate, nobody "needs" to spend any money on rc cars. It's all just a huge waste of time and money in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't mean people can't have fun and dedicate their talents to things they enjoy doing, like creating new parts for their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Hey Nick!
If you can't stand the heat ?

Stay out of the kitchen...
You stay classy, George!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #5450
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I only use my B5M in mod, which makes the weight great for me. I ran an rm in stock, but traded it out for a D413 4wd 2nd class.

I did very little outside of a slipper, pucks and Ti. I just see all the pics with cars sitting on scales for blinky and think how crazy the costs and time consumed must appear to newer racers. Stock used to be a great entry class. Now it's the great cash class. Mod is way more popular around here luckily.
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #5451
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To the guys polishing ball studs.
Use a dremel tool, it has an aluminum collet and won't damage the treads.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #5452
Tech Prophet

yeah, I am trying to make the transition to mod. But so far racing both is hard. I practiced 3-4 packs in mod, then put my stock car on the track and it was difficult to deal with the difference. There are a few locals, that switched to mod buggy and picked up a wheeler like you for a second class. A local might let me drive his space xb4 this next week. Who knows, if I like the car, maybe I will get one, lol.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #5453
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
To the guys polishing ball studs.
Use a dremel tool, it has an aluminum collet and won't damage the treads.
I will try that. Thanks. That would be easier than my full sized dewalt drill to use, lol.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #5454
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I agree and I am not willing to put in the cash for 17.5MM. I have a RM car and it works great in stock. IMO, the MM car out of the box is better suited to outdoor tracks with smaller jumps or mod. The extra weight is nice for traction outdoors.
100% agree. I run indoors mainly, but did some inline setup and spring/damping testing to get it to jump real good. Still and always a work in progress.
Support your LHS.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #5455
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
I only use my B5M in mod, which makes the weight great for me. I ran an rm in stock, but traded it out for a D413 4wd 2nd class.

I did very little outside of a slipper, pucks and Ti. I just see all the pics with cars sitting on scales for blinky and think how crazy the costs and time consumed must appear to newer racers. Stock used to be a great entry class. Now it's the great cash class. Mod is way more popular around here luckily.
I've been racing for a very long time and I cannot think of a time when stock was a great entry class. It's always been expensive and difficult for a recently bumped out of novice driver to enter. All I remember about stock class in the bad old days is peeling shrink wrap, burning myself on the batteries and motor after a run, changing the brushes we filed down for more timing way too often, truing commutators, etc. It's always been a cash class, less so now than in the brushed and ni-cad days. Good matched and pushed ni-cad packs were around a hundred dollars each and you had to keep 4 of them in your toolbox because they could only be run once a day!
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #5456
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wish i could run mod but until my skill gets better or we get more mod racers Im gonna have to stick to stock, Im a solid C main stock racer although I did get bumped to the B main. We had an A,B,C,D and maybe and E main that night. Oh well it was only my second race so the good news is I have plenty of room for improvement lol. We have a new track opening tonigh so I'm intereseted to see how many people they have running mod there
scythe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #5457
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
I've been racing for a very long time and I cannot think of a time when stock was a great entry class. It's always been expensive and difficult for a recently bumped out of novice driver to enter. All I remember about stock class in the bad old days is peeling shrink wrap, burning myself on the batteries and motor after a run, changing the brushes we filed down for more timing way too often, truing commutators, etc. It's always been a cash class, less so now than in the brushed and ni-cad days. Good matched and pushed ni-cad packs were around a hundred dollars each and you had to keep 4 of them in your toolbox because they could only be run once a day!
I won the state championship in 2wd stock buggy in the early 90s and qualified top 5 two other years. I know about the stock class as it pertained to yesteryear. Back then stock was the biggest class around here and I could barely afford tires let alone anything else, so I raced with what I had, but now as you say it's much different. It didn't cost what it does now back then. Not even close. I still have the Jrx2, a Tekin charger and an old chipped Airtronics controller from those days, as well as 3 of the batteries I need to throw out still. Matched cells yadda yadda...nothing compared to the expense of today.

It was entry class back then around here, but now it's like you said and like I stated it's not that these days.

In the end it's mostly about the driver behind the buggy, not the reading on the scale the cars are sitting on.
Support your LHS.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #5458
Tech Elite

b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #5459
Tech Elite

need help how to get a proling wing to fit on the mounts to tick with the shim on
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #5460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
need help how to get a proling wing to fit on the mounts to tick with the shim on
tried the best i could with my phone, but i used a dremel cutoff wheel and put some groves in my wing to let the clips slide in