R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree10Likes

Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #4651
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilster44 View Post
You can also hide the sensor completely by going with a flat one and routing it through the chassis tunnel...
Oh I'm stealing your idea since I already run a flat sensor wire. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #4652
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
ok, I am sure a fanboy will chime in, but my tekins always ran hotter than most brands. And they always felt less powerful. So less power and more heat, mean I sold them. I run reedy's mainly these days. I want to try the hacker, because many locals seem to think its godly...and my daughter likes purple, lol (for her car)
In rear motor form the Gen2 stayed really cool. I knew the 17.5 would run hotter in the closed in mm so I took it easy on my gearing and timing. The car was slow compared to the others so I figured it would come off the track cool after round one. It came off the track pushing 170. Round two same thing. For the main I put in a Reedy 17.5. Came in 35-40 degrees cooler. The Reedy has bigger and more holes on the can, which I think makes it run much cooler. I think the heat issue is a stock racing thing, hopefully Tekin will look into better venting at least in the stock motors.

I really liked my B5 rm cars, so i was not too sure why I got a new MM..... Both cars are good, but man I really love that mid motor.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #4653
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

IMO, 17.5 is sketchy for MM. Not because MM sucks or anything weird. Its power and heat. The car is heavier unless you spend $$$$$ to make it light, and in general 17.5 motors are run hot to get speed out of them. But the MM has much less cooling, so that makes the whole thing worse. Almost every mod car at the local track is MM and they can do wheelies all day with the traction level. But in stock, 90% of the cars are RM. Mostly for the power. MM handles just fine. I am hoping to put together a mod MM car soonish. I need a second class to run.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #4654
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
But I have a bad habit of charging and storing my packs in the cars...
Your just asking for something like this to happen:

Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #4655
Tech Prophet

a little duct tape and that car is fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #4656
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, that will buff out..
The Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #4657
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
IMO, 17.5 is sketchy for MM. Not because MM sucks or anything weird. Its power and heat. The car is heavier unless you spend $$$$$ to make it light, and in general 17.5 motors are run hot to get speed out of them. But the MM has much less cooling, so that makes the whole thing worse. Almost every mod car at the local track is MM and they can do wheelies all day with the traction level. But in stock, 90% of the cars are RM. Mostly for the power. MM handles just fine. I am hoping to put together a mod MM car soonish. I need a second class to run.
I agree with that, our track is indoor fairly small. the setups are usually have a lot of corners, with maybe one straight thats not real long. MM works good with mod and stock because its more about the corner speed than blistering straight speed.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #4658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
It's all perception. A couple mm cars at stock nats that weighed in at 1600+ finished right behind Hartson. A really fast local who installed a fan has his motor coming off at about 130 after 10 plus minutes of running straight. I am not saying what you said has zero validity, but there are ways around those obstacles.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #4659
Tech Master

Quote:
Sounds like the people running MM 17.5 at your track should add holes in the body for air flow. Or switch to an X6 Cubed since it should be lighter with it's graphite chassis.

I have a feeling that SNR, Exotek or Diggity is looking at or should be looking at making a graphite chassis for the B5M.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #4660
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
It's all perception. A couple mm cars at stock nats that weighed in at 1600+ finished right behind Hartson. A really fast local who installed a fan has his motor coming off at about 130 after 10 plus minutes of running straight. I am not saying what you said has zero validity, but there are ways around those obstacles.
A fan on the motor is definitely nice. I am kinda surprised AE and TLR didnt integrate a fan mount into the water fall. Most guys in both camp just mod them. Maybe an after market will make a new waterfall/brace with a fan mount built in. But 130 with a fan and a 1600 gram car is pretty impressive. I have vented my bodies and still found that 150 was hard to maintain for 5-6 minutes, much less 10.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #4661
Tech Master

Quote:
A fan on the motor is definitely nice. I am kinda surprised AE and TLR didnt integrate a fan mount into the water fall. Most guys in both camp just mod them. Maybe an after market will make a new waterfall/brace with a fan mount built in. But 130 with a fan and a 1600 gram car is pretty impressive. I have vented my bodies and still found that 150 was hard to maintain for 5-6 minutes, much less 10.
What's the ambient temperature where you run?

But you are right, I'm surprise they didn't incorporate a fan into the waterfall as well!

Jconcepts, you listening??
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #4662
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
What's the ambient temperature where you run?

But you are right, I'm surprise they didn't incorporate a fan into the waterfall as well!

Jconcepts, you listening??
Um, I "think" 78. Its indoor. But....in 17.5 last night my shorty got up to 110 in my RM car. So the traction, plus all of the 180's you punch out off work the electronics. The current layout is pretty heavy handed on throttle.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #4663
Tech Regular

Lots of braking creates heat too. Some have a hard time keeping cool while others don't have issues at all due to driving style. Its kind of funny you guys talk about motor temps while discussing 2 of the hottest running motors I have found(Tekin and Reedy). Also a lot of heat can be generated from non efficient gearing and timing. Once the sweet spot is found temps tend to be a bit cooler. The weight of the car shouldn't be an issue since 22's are close to the same weight.

Last edited by bambambennett; 05-22-2014 at 07:29 PM.
bambambennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #4664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

alot MM run 17.5 here and so do I. Love them even on our outdoor track. just need to set them up and chose the right tires.

I dont concide to the whole MM is just for sugar and RM is for loamy only thoughts. etc ect...
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #4665
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwitczak View Post
mk2rocco- i have a question for you. what kind of spektrum receiver is that? i could not fit my spektrum sr300 receiver in there EVEN with a small footprint ESC- speed passion Reventon R..
because of this i m considering buying a $9.99 orange Rx for spektrum dsm, it is considerably smaller.
Since I hate the look of mounting the receiver on it's side I just got out my dremel There is lots of material to be removed before you get to the board.

mk2rocco is offline   Reply With Quote